Winter storage

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
So I am on the look out for a garage since the place I live in doesn't have one and on top of that the only place where I can park the bike is in the backyard (which mind you is unpaved) so the moment it starts raining my entire lower part of the bike (regardless of the waterproof cover) is covered in water and dirt and that makes me sick to the stomach seeing by brand new chain and sprocket going to hell with every rain/day.

So, I found a self storage space nearby that wanted me to pay $100 for a 5x10 unit :eek: but I think it's not such a good idea not simply because storage spaces are twice as expensive as garage spaces but also because:

1. Unit has steal walls and no climate control - that thing will be an absolute freezer during the winter months

2. no power for a battery tender

3. not a big deal but the unit is 5x10 which is approximately the size of my bike and I can't just ride the bike in but I'll have to parallel park it in there which makes my life a little difficult considering the thing is several inches off the ground.

So the main reason I said all that was to ask the question: how important is temperature control over the winter months (and not CA/FL winter but MA/NH/VT winter).

Also if someone in the Framingham/Natic/*borough/Boston area is willing to make some extra $50/month (for a garage space) and $100 if the unit is temperature controlled - please do let me know :) I'm not gonna work on the bike or anything ... I'm just looking for a place to keep her out of the rain and snow and also I want to be able to come pick her up for a ride whenever the weather permits.

:iconbeer:

Check with a few of your local shops (if they're still in business :(). Most shops will offer winter storage, some heated and some not so heated.

Top the tank off with gas and add a battery tender. If no power, pull the battery and take it home and keep the tender on it at home.

why not just ride it?

But if you must put it up, dry and cold is better then wet and cold. A temperature controled garage is nice, but not needed. If you are going to put it up for the season, just throw it in the storage area on the centerstand and take the battery home with you, you can keep it on a trickle charger there. As long as you have some Stabil in the fuel tank, there will be no need to start the bike until you are ready to get it out in the spring time.

I live near you and my bike sits in an unheated shed during the coldest months. Blue stabil for ethanol starts going into all my engines starting now, bikes, lawnmowers, etc. Full tank, pull the battery if it's going to sit, but if you're willing to ride with some warm gear on, it'll be fine. Except for last winter, we usually have at least a few warm days a month, warm enough to ride enough to charge the battery, just watch out for the sand, and parking lots can have frozen puddles to watch out for.

I didn't have a garage last winter and stored mine in an unheated/unpowered storage unit. I just put stabil in and topped the tank off and put it on the centerstand with something propping up the headers so that both tires were off the ground. I also plugged the exhaust tips so nothing could get in there and make a nest. Stored it for 3 months with no problems, started right up in spring. If you can, take the battery out and keep it in your house. I would have done the same, but I didn't know how easy it was to remove it at the time.

My battery was only 3 months old at the time so that might explain why it made it.

We used to store our racing fuel ( 45 gal. ) over winter...one year in the spring a shell fuel technician checked the octane# for us ...we started out with 145 and ended up with 110......he explained that this was normal and even with fuel stabalizer the # will drop..in reallity fuel stabalizer only prevents the fuel from becoming unuseable, it will not stop oct. breakdown....so if you tuck away your baby with a higher oct.# your loss will be slight in relation to #s....I might add that you should make sure your tank is FULL , as any void area is where all this breakdown starts ........Daryl

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am planning to ride during the winter (I'm gonna go bananas if I don't) and that's why I'm looking for more of a garage rather than a temporary storage unit. I guess I'll be getting some stabil and not worrying about the temperature all that much.

Back