With new battery won't start

mckebabs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guy, I’m new on this forum. I recently bought my first motorcycle fz6(2005) and after I accidentally left the lights on overnight the problems started. Now after I have changed the battery it doesn’t event starts – engine light turns on when I press the starter button. :(

So here is the history.
The battery died.To get it to the tender I push-started it and drove 40km to my home (Should I be worried about regulator-rectifier now?). Charged the battery with tender. With the bike running with high rpm it was charging with 14,3++V which seems fine and I expected that the troubles will end here.
It was going fine but yesterday battery died again. Since fully charged it had only 12.5V I decided to change the battery. Today, before installing the new battery I tried to crank it again however now when I pressed the start button, Engine light turned on and one click in the display(odometer) could be heard. I hoped that after changing the new batter the problem will disappear but it didn’t.

So far what I have checked:
-Diagnostic system. Everything seems fine. In memory there were codes 12, 30 and 46, however after clearing it, no new errors were displayed.
-Sidestand switch and Neutral switch seems to be working fine
-Main fuses are fine
-I can even push-start it without problems (should it be possible to push start in case there were fail-safe errors?)
Maybe you have any other ideas what could be wrong? My next attempt will be checking the starter relay. After that I’m out of ideas.

Thanks in advance

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guy, I’m new on this forum. I recently bought my first motorcycle fz6(2005) and after I accidentally left the lights on overnight the problems started. Now after I have changed the battery it doesn’t event starts – engine light turns on when I press the starter button. :(

So here is the history.
The battery died. To get it to the tender I push-started it and drove 40km to my home (Should I be worried about regulator-rectifier now?). Charged the battery with tender. With the bike running with high rpm it was charging with 14,3++V which seems fine and I expected that the troubles will end here.
It was going fine but yesterday battery died again. Since fully charged it had only 12.5V I decided to change the battery. Today, before installing the new battery I tried to crank it again however now when I pressed the start button, Engine light turned on and one click in the display (odometer) could be heard. I hoped that after changing the new batter the problem will disappear but it didn’t.

So far what I have checked:
-Diagnostic system. Everything seems fine. In memory there were codes 12, 30 and 46, however after clearing it, no new errors were displayed.
-Sidestand switch and Neutral switch seems to be working fine
-Main fuses are fine
-I can even push-start it without problems (should it be possible to push start in case there were fail-safe errors?)
Maybe you have any other ideas what could be wrong? My next attempt will be checking the starter relay. After that I’m out of ideas.

Thanks in advance

Looks like your post slipped through the cracks! Sorry about that but :welcome: to the forum just the Same!!

Any chance you sorted this out? As it stands it has a new battery and the battery is **maybe** draining while in the bike?
It sounds like you have:
a charger
a meter
a bike that doesn't crank but runs if push started

From your error codes:
12 - Crankshaft position sensor. If this is an active error it WILL light the MIL and prevent cranking.
30 - Lean Angle Sensor. If this is an active error it WILL light the MIL and prevent cranking. << Not likely as its reset when the key is turned off unless its damaged.
46 - Vehicle System Power (voltage) too low. During cranking or running this can be triggered if the voltage is too low for the ECM to run the engines ignition and fuel injection.

Q? Once push started, does the MIL stay lit or flash? Also, for the record the codes are not displayed by active status rather by order - 1, 2, 3, 4, so allow them to cycle through should they come up. Inactive codes are retained but should not Cycle unless in diagnostic mode looking for them.

All of that said - I would be looking very closely at the battery cables ground path and 12 lead to the relay and starter. It seems like one of them is not healthy. Also, can you explain how after charging it, it only charged to 12.5V. Something seems wrong there either with your charger or the connection. I would disconnect the battery during charging as part of the energy is going into the regulator rectifier shunt and making heat. It may trick some chargers into thinking its charged when its not.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=579412

And give us an update on anything new.
Regards,
FI

mckebabs

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like your post slipped through the cracks! Sorry about that but :welcome: to the forum just the Same!!

Any chance you sorted this out? As it stands it has a new battery and the battery is **maybe** draining while in the bike?
It sounds like you have:
a charger
a meter
a bike that doesn't crank but runs if push started

From your error codes:
12 - Crankshaft position sensor. If this is an active error it WILL light the MIL and prevent cranking.
30 - Lean Angle Sensor. If this is an active error it WILL light the MIL and prevent cranking. << Not likely as its reset when the key is turned off unless its damaged.
46 - Vehicle System Power (voltage) too low. During cranking or running this can be triggered if the voltage is too low for the ECM to run the engines ignition and fuel injection.

Q? Once push started, does the MIL stay lit or flash? Also, for the record the codes are not displayed by active status rather by order - 1, 2, 3, 4, so allow them to cycle through should they come up. Inactive codes are retained but should not Cycle unless in diagnostic mode looking for them.

All of that said - I would be looking very closely at the battery cables ground path and 12 lead to the relay and starter. It seems like one of them is not healthy. Also, can you explain how after charging it, it only charged to 12.5V. Something seems wrong there either with your charger or the connection. I would disconnect the battery during charging as part of the energy is going into the regulator rectifier shunt and making heat. It may trick some chargers into thinking its charged when its not.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=579412

And give us an update on anything new.
Regards,
FI

Hi FinalImpact, thanks for the comment. I got the issue resolved. The starter was dead. According to the service workers not only the bushes were dead, but also there was some sort of short inside the rotor.

By the way "in case of emergency" or for the diagnostic purposes if somebody has similar situation, by hitting starter with something a bit heavier, half the times starter was able to start the engine :D At least that is how one motorcyclist diagnosed the problem.

Anyways thanks for the help!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi FinalImpact, thanks for the comment. I got the issue resolved. The starter was dead. According to the service workers not only the bushes were dead, but also there was some sort of short inside the rotor.

By the way "in case of emergency" or for the diagnostic purposes if somebody has similar situation, by hitting starter with something a bit heavier, half the times starter was able to start the engine :D At least that is how one motorcyclist diagnosed the problem.

Anyways thanks for the help!

When it doubt, hit it with a hammer!!! Tks for the information:thumbup: