Worst Mods Anyone?

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I :drool: over all the beautiful bike mods i see on here everyday, and a thought came to mind, it did hurt a little, but what are some of your mods that you completely regret or did and then changed back? Just curious and lookin to learn from others mistakes :D

S

sportrider

a 190/50 rear tire... absolutely horrible (no I didn't buy it to try and "bling" my bike out, I had a ride planned the next day and got a flat and that was the only tire that shop had in stock)

jniedermeyer

6 Time SuperBowl Champs
Reaction score
Visit site
windscreen bullets. also in this picture is a mod i liked. the r1 mirrors that i slightly customized but since the glass cracked on the left 1 i put the stock antennae back on.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Painting my silver radiator guards, and silver head light mount/ front indicator bracket black myself, looked good for about a month, until paint starting chipping off. Ended up buying new head light mount, and 07 radiator guards(metal, not plastic like on 04-06 fz6), both in black. Cost me nearly $300!

:eek:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Altering the Mix-It and wiring it into the bike. I relocated the volume control on the end of five inches of wire. The problem is that the volume control is before the amplifier. So what I did was create a very inefficient radio.

I get a lot of static and occasionally I'll pick up a station for a little while. I can also hear cellphone towers transmitting.

I've got to go in and put the Mix-It back to stock form.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LED pod lights !
I was forever replacing them , must be the vibration,put standard amber bulbs in and never had a problem again .

Ive had my LED podlights in and no probs for 5000km. They are of the 6-led Super-white ebay special variety.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fortunately, I've not done any regretful ones. I typically study everyone's input here first and learn from their opinions then go get the good ones. :thumbup: I apologize for using you all a guinea pigs! ;)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Trying to install the R1 shock. After hours of work, sourcing parts, fabbing up bits and pieces, it was sprung like an overstuffed Lazyboy!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh i forgot my favourite! Cheap Rim striping...first lot i bought was on special, and about three days after i installed it, it started bubbling, and swelling when it got wet!

Took me about 3 hours to get it off my rims, to replace it with a different brand, that was the real deal, and if you have ever put on rim tape, you will know how tedious it is, and i had to do it twice!...apparently, not all rim stripes are created equal!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fortunately, I've not done any regretful ones. I typically study everyone's input here first and learn from their opinions then go get the good ones. :thumbup: I apologize for using you all a guinea pigs! ;)

I had better make the same apology as well then.;)

Steve

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
There is one bad mod you can get with good intentions. Frame sliders that come with ****ty bolts. The bolt length may be different than the stock engine mount bolt. HOWEVER, it is very important that the number of threads on the new bolt and the engine bolt are the same. Otherwise, when you start torquing the new bolt, you may strip the threads on the engine mount.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
- Power Bronze bellypan... DON`T BUY IT!!! Crappy quality, crappy design.

- Acerbis headlight... cheap floppy plastic POS.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
- Power Bronze bellypan... DON`T BUY IT!!! Crappy quality, crappy design.

- Acerbis headlight... cheap floppy plastic POS.

That's funny, cause when you speak to Power Bronze in Australia, they are happy to bag other brands openly re their quality!

Sounds like a case of people in glass houses, should'nt throw stones!

Thanks for the heads up.

Tour Guide

Reaction score
Visit site
stomp grip on the sides of the tank. i cleaned the surface well and they started coming off @ 6 months later. they didn't leave any marks and i shouldv'e called the company but i said the heck with it.

with throttle miesters already on the bike i installed some heated grips. the kind you tape on under the grips. the wires would get pinched when you would engage the throttle miester and basically didn't work well.

mod related - with the bar risers i lifted the tank for service and scratched it.

rear galfer brake line. after talking with service and trying to get a line that would run the stock routing 3 times i gave up and left the last one on there. it's still to long and has to route up high by the sub frame.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
50/50 on this one. Galfer brakelines, they are functional great, but the banjo bolts and pinch fittings are rusting badly.

Spike

Reaction score
Visit site
Taller Yamaha windscreen. Good protection but lack of wind force on chest caused more wrist pain on long rides. Put the stock screen back on.

kustom17

Reaction score
Visit site
windscreen bullets. also in this picture is a mod i liked. the r1 mirrors that i slightly customized but since the glass cracked on the left 1 i put the stock antennae back on.

How did you get the R1 mirrors on? I really like how they are not so tall.
This is exactly what i was looking for