Would this tank drain method apply to the fz6 as well?

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Trying to avoid removing the fuel pump to drain the tank in preparation for paint.

Anyone done this on the fz6?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, There are many videos to show you how to do something that may be successful but may not be the best idea for safety of the people and property.

If you provide current via jumpers it should be fused at the voltage source. If you short unfused jumpers they are instantly a danger in more that one way. Be sure you work in a well ventilated area for your lungs and fire safety. Grounding the tank and yourself can also keep static potentials from causing a spark.
I've heard many times people say don't run the fuel pump dry.

My cousin lit his BBQ in his back yard. He then got his lawn mower out to mow the lawn while the coals got hot. He went to the garage to get a gas can to fill the mower. The fumes from the gas can ignited many feet away. He had a basket ball scholarship as well as his arm and side that went up in flames.

Main thing is be safe!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, There are many videos to show you how to do something that may be successful but may not be the best idea for safety of the people and property.

If you provide current via jumpers it should be fused at the voltage source. If you short unfused jumpers they are instantly a danger in more that one way. Be sure you work in a well ventilated area for your lungs and fire safety. Grounding the tank and yourself can also keep static potentials from causing a spark.
I've heard many times people say don't run the fuel pump dry.

My cousin lit his BBQ in his back yard. He then got his lawn mower out to mow the lawn while the coals got hot. He went to the garage to get a gas can to fill the mower. The fumes from the gas can ignited many feet away. He had a basket ball scholarship as well as his arm and side that went up in flames.

Main thing is be safe!

Excellent point Cliff. A good friend of mine has a simple expression that he applies to EVERYTHING. 'Rule #1, NOBODY gets hurt!'

When I had my tank painted, I simply loosened the fuel pump retainer while the tank was perched atop a large container. Not the neatest operation, but no chance of a short or spark.

Be safe CanadaFZ6.

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks folks. Maybe I won't do it lol. If I do remove the fuel pump, how open is the inside of the tank? Would I be able to fix a dent that is near the logo on the side? Or it's not accessible?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The tank is not double walled.

Access is pretty good with the pump out.

***Only when removing the pump, push the lever shown and the pump will break down into two parts for easy removal (slides apart). It can go back in as one unit:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe that the tank is doubled walled, so dent repair is not possible. @trepetti would know for sure.

I don't know if the tank is double walled. The guy who did my repair did it by tack welding rods to the take in spots, then using a small slide hammer to pull out as much of the dents as possible. The last thing was using bondo to get to the final shape.

See the 'during' and 'after' pics....

Attachments

• -3970767919543993586.jpg
    -3970767919543993586.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 6610847849673770569.jpg
    6610847849673770569.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 14

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone that’s great news. Seems I will be able to smooth this dent out easier than I expected with the proper tools.

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The tank is not double walled.

Access is pretty good with the pump out.

***Only when removing the pump, push the lever shown and the pump will break down into two parts for easy removal (slides apart). It can go back in as one unit:

Having a hard time figuring out where this tab even is on the pump. Can't get it out as one piece at the moment so trying this method but can't figure it out. How far out does the pump have to be to access this spot?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've pulled mine as one piece (not knowing about the tab), but it is very, very tight.
It didn't break but using the tab is much easier.

Your just going to have to rotate the pump till you see the tab (it isn't big).

You can force it but it's very possible to break it..

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I did finally get it off, by removing that little side piece. One thing I did overlook is how steep the underside turns up, making the access from the fuel pump hole to the very corner logo area pretty difficult with some sort of dent removal tool.