Would you replace these pads?

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Have the wheels off for new tires. Have new pads and HEL ss lines ready to go.

View attachment 49443

The stock pads have 19.5k miles on them. I measured them to have about 2 mm to the wear point (the little nub on the corner of the backing plate).

Since I'm getting new tires, lines, and fluid, my logic is to replace the pads as well. However, they look good enough to go another 10k miles.

View attachment 49444

View attachment 49445

Since the calipers are so easy to service, I'm thinking that I'll hold on the pads until winter. Perhaps do the seals then too? WWFZ6FD?

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If it were me, I'd wait. Like you said, servicing the calipers are pretty easy so why not spread out the cost until this winter. Those pads look good to me!:thumbup: They have at least another season or two on them.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My pads have 19K on them and still look brand new. It all depends on how you ride. Personally most of my miles are on backroads with an average of only about 1 stop per 2 miles. My pads will outlive someone who rides in a busy area.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys! I figured as much but my mind is still often stuck in that "while you're in there" mentality from years of DIY car maintenance.

Only wish now that I waited before spending the cash on the pads. Ahh well... they won't go bad.

Oh - one more thing. What's the capacity of the brake fluid system? I couldn't find it in the service manual. I did read somewhere here that's 'approximately' 400 ml. Is that right? I think the bottles are sold as either 355ml or 1L.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys! I figured as much but my mind is still often stuck in that "while you're in there" mentality from years of DIY car maintenance.

Only wish now that I waited before spending the cash on the pads. Ahh well... they won't go bad.

Oh - one more thing. What's the capacity of the brake fluid system? I couldn't find it in the service manual. I did read somewhere here that's 'approximately' 400 ml. Is that right? I think the bottles are sold as either 355ml or 1L.
The capacity is not as much as you would think, I don't remember the exact amount. I bought 2 of the smaller bottles and ended up with half a bottle left, but I flushed the heck out of the front and back brakes.
IIRC, the minimum on the pads is .5mm.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty hard on the brakes outside the city and like you, bought new pads only to find 2/3 still remained on the originals.
Fwiw: our modern camera phones shoot at near point blank range so its useful to use when inspecting the inner pad depth. Works well as its hard to see past the tire/wheel.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

the smaller bottle (355ml/1 pint) was plenty for me to do my FZ6 brake flush, front and back. I just flushed until I was sure I had pushed out the old fluid and there is no way there is 400ml of fluid in the FZ6 brake system. 200ml is more like it.

lkea

Reaction score
Visit site
As I see your pads are still useable, but you have the budget than go for it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's plenty of pad there (at least half), IMHO, I'd clean them up and put them back on.

To replace them later won't take 15 minutes as they just pop out the top with the removal of two clips on each side, (that's with the calipers still on the fork legs).

Should you have any excessive dragging on the rotors, if your changing out brake lines, now's the time to replace the caliper seals.

Put the money you saved replacing good pads, towards caliper seals (which tend to drag/fail after 4 years or so, (Yamaha states to replace the brake seals EVERY TWO YEARS). Your system will be dry anyway, seal replacement is pretty easy as your halfways there... :thumbup:

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, those current brake pads are healthy. Same logic with feminine pads--no need to replace if still good. Now, if it were a spouse I might recommend changing even if there is plenty of mileage left. If replacing the caliper seals, I recommend sitting down when pricing them. They are extremely expensive.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, those current brake pads are healthy. Same logic with feminine pads--no need to replace if still good. Now, if it were a spouse I might recommend changing even if there is plenty of mileage left. If replacing the caliper seals, I recommend sitting down when pricing them. They are extremely expensive.

When I ordered mine on-line thru (Now Partzilla) about two years ago, ALL the seals were about $80 US delivered.

When I ordered the same seals for my FJR (same caliper) a couple of years before that, from my local guy, it was over $120.00 US

At the dealershipship, well over $120.00. One of our forum members recently did his S2 (4 piston pots) and spent about $100 for his seals (about $10 of that was shipping, which was BS, heck they'll fit in a regular envelope).

The new seals on both bikes made a world of difference once the old seals dried up and would flex/release the pistons..

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If it were me, I'd wait. Like you said, servicing the calipers are pretty easy so why not spread out the cost until this winter. Those pads look good to me!:thumbup: They have at least another season or two on them.
Defo, spread the running costs you never know what is around the corner.

Nelly