WOW, sandwiched between cars on bike...

dave6531

Reaction score
Visit site
OUCH!!
I had something similar happen to me about 10 years ago, Luckily for me it was not nearly as serious. I had just come to a hard stop, when i heard tires skidding behind me. The next thing i knew by bike was bouncing off the minivan in front of me and i was sitting on the trucks bumper saying please don't hit that minivan. It was also lucky that i was on my way to school and had a large chemistry book in my backpack that was pushed up so it kept my head from snapping back.

Now every time i hit my brakes hard the first place i look is my mirror to see who might be there to hit me.

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
its big news around here.. thats about 20 miles from where i live, 5 from where i work

TxDOT has been using the electronic signs put in place for the amber/traffic alerts to display "share the road, look twice for motorcycles" since this happened

Sotex

Reaction score
Visit site
its big news around here.. thats about 20 miles from where i live, 5 from where i work

TxDOT has been using the electronic signs put in place for the amber/traffic alerts to display "share the road, look twice for motorcycles" since this happened

I saw that message flashing on the traffic sign-boards just this morning, on an expressway here in south Texas. I was glad to see it, but it's sad to learn this accident is why...

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you do have to brake kind of heavily you should always and immediately be staring in your mirrors. You should glance forward to make sure you have the right braking distance. If you don't feel comfortable you should get off the brakes and shoot between the two cars in front of you and stop between them.

Always assume the worst and be reacting to it before it happens. Every accident a rider has ever been in was the rider's fault.

I'm happy he is healthy but not pleased he has lost his stomache to ride. But it is understandable. His finacee (LOL they spelt it wrong) may annoy me for using a word like "forbid" but it doesn't seem like he is putting up much of a fight. Don't think he wants to ride anymore.

****ty thing is that he will spend the rest of his life telling people about how terrible motorcycles are.....

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
A friend at work sent me this video to view today. After I watched it twice I saw the guy had an escape route to his right in between the car in front of him and that white pickup in the center lane. He could of split the lane and let the car rear end the car in front. How many of us would have had the wherewithall to do that? Not sure I would but hoping I would be a little more alert/lucky.

It is struck me as very news mediaish to say the guy used to be fond of motorcycles up til this accident. I am sure if you asked him he would say he is still fond of bikes, just vehemently pissed at dumbass cagers who run him over

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A friend at work sent me this video to view today. After I watched it twice I saw the guy had an escape route to his right in between the car in front of him and that white pickup in the center lane. He could of split the lane and let the car rear end the car in front. How many of us would have had the wherewithall to do that? Not sure I would but hoping I would be a little more alert/lucky.

It is struck me as very news mediaish to say the guy used to be fond of motorcycles up til this accident. I am sure if you asked him he would say he is still fond of bikes, just vehemently pissed at dumbass cagers who run him over

no he seems the type who rides for 2 months gets in an accident then spends the rest of his life trying to discourage people from riding.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it just me, or is there white smoke trailing his bike before the impact? Like he locked up his rear tire??? Seems like he would have gone down if he had it locked for that long, but I watched it a few times and I swear I see smoke. I don't think it could be exhaust.

And man was that Taurus moving. They weren't even paying attention to what was going on in front of them. Scary.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it just me, or is there white smoke trailing his bike before the impact? Like he locked up his rear tire??? Seems like he would have gone down if he had it locked for that long, but I watched it a few times and I swear I see smoke. I don't think it could be exhaust.

And man was that Taurus moving. They weren't even paying attention to what was going on in front of them. Scary.

Yeah, he definitely had the back tire locked up. It looks like this could have been avoided a few different ways. He probably wasn't looking far enough ahead, and panicked and it just snowballed from there.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know many people that would have the reaction time to avoid that accident.

I seen a lot of people on this site saying they have such amazing reflexes to avoid being hit from behind. I think not.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is why I will always ride off set with the vehicle in front of me, rather than riding right down the middle of the lane. Gives you an opportunity to split between traffic much easier rather than from the middle of the lane.

Most importantly, gives the vehicles behind you an opportunity to miss you if you are favoring to one side of the lane.

A motorcyclist has three choices to position themselves within a lane. Left, Middle or Right. Although the rider was able to stop in time, it's no guarantee that the vehicle behind him will be able to stop. I believe if the rider was off set, maybe the vehicle could have swerved?

I've been in similar situations, but mostly going thru red lights. I had the choice of stopping for a red, but it would have required a very hard brake in order for me to stop, but after looking in my mirrors, I noticed that the vehicle behind would not have been able to stop in time, resulting in a rear end collision, pushing me into traffic so I throttle thru, running the yellow/red. But if I ever see a Rolls Royce or a Ferrari behind me, I'll take my chances and BRAKE$

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Granted those two still would have collided as one dumb @ss was not paying attention, but how many stories go down where the rider choose the safe path and was out of harms way???? Any? Many? Some?

Tire was locked for long time. . .

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
This is why I will always ride off set with the vehicle in front of me, rather than riding right down the middle of the lane. Gives you an opportunity to split between traffic much easier rather than from the middle of the lane.

Most importantly, gives the vehicles behind you an opportunity to miss you if you are favoring to one side of the lane.

A motorcyclist has three choices to position themselves within a lane. Left, Middle or Right. Although the rider was able to stop in time, it's no guarantee that the vehicle behind him will be able to stop. I believe if the rider was off set, maybe the vehicle could have swerved?

I've been in similar situations, but mostly going thru red lights. I had the choice of stopping for a red, but it would have required a very hard brake in order for me to stop, but after looking in my mirrors, I noticed that the vehicle behind would not have been able to stop in time, resulting in a rear end collision, pushing me into traffic so I throttle thru, running the yellow/red. But if I ever see a Rolls Royce or a Ferrari behind me, I'll take my chances and BRAKE$

Regardless of how he was riding, the vehicle behind him wasn't paying attention, wouldn't have swerved in exactly the same way that they wouldn't (and definitely didn't) stop. I saw this on jalopnik earlier and people were criticizing his riding style and attributing at least part of the blame to that. Idiots! The reason he got hit wasn't because he wasn't anticipating the stop or was riding in the middle of the lane; the reason he got hit was because the person behind him was too busy dancing like a fool in his car to pay attention to the road.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Positioning is one of the key elements of survival, that is why we do it because you can't count on others to see you or simply not paying attention.

If you look at the video, the car that hit him was following at a relatively safe distance, just not paying attention until the very last second.