Wrong sized tires on my bike?

Fastwagon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all. So my wife and I have a pair of FZ6's. My bike has stock tires, my wife's was purchased used with aftermarket tires. They are bridgestone batlax's 120/60ZR17 front, 190/50ZR17 rear.

I don't like the feel of the tires, far less smooth transition into and out of turns, bike seems to want to dive in and snap out of lean abruptly. Also the profile lowers the bike enough that the bike doesn't lean enough on the kickstand to feel really stable on all surfaces.

Different strokes for different folks, but are these tires even a reasonable/safe choice on an otherwise stock bike?

Here is the stock tyre sizes:

Front: 120/70ZR17 Bridgestone Battlax BT020 on 3.50" x 17" wheel

Rear: 180/55ZR17 Bridgestone Battlax BT020 on 5.50" x 17" wheel

if it s safe or not i cannot comment because i dont know.

but they are concerning you enough to cause distress, so i would change the rear to stock. sure wiht a fatter tyre transition and tip in corners will surely be slower than the 180 stock

The profiles will be different and It will probably not handle as designed. The height on the front tire is 60% aspect ratio to give the look of a lower profile tire. The stock tire is 70% aspect ratio. Same with the back. It's a wider tire with a lower aspect ratio. I think this was done for looks. If you're not racing the bike you might live with them till they're worn out and then put the correct sizes on. As long as the rubber is good and they're not old rubber. If they feel funny swap em.

My wife is a very novice rider, she feels "ok" on them, but says my bike feels much "smoother".. I think I'll change them out for my own piece of mind... And so I can keep her off my bike! :)

I'm torn between just getting replacement "stock" tires, or going to a nice aftermarket, (likely Angel ST, or michelin Pilot road 2). Both have great reviews.
Provided I get the stock profile would they all feel/handle similarly?

Sorry for sounding like a total newb everyone...

Hi,
if this works ok there should be a pdf document attached to this post.
Australian Road Rider just published this article on tyres and reading the codes.
Cliff, I have another article on Villiers motors from the same issue,
I'll post that in 'The Bar"

The Michelin PR2's are nothing short of a perfect tire for the street. Getting at least 6-8k out of a set is very typical ( I am coming up on 10k w/ my SV and just beginning to flat spot), and they stick just fine all the way to the edge.

Back