WTB Instrument cluster/tacho

Sven

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking for a instrument cluster/tach from a 09 fz6n, though will be willing to buy off any year model fz6s or n. Preferably in Aus but can pay shipping from elsewhere.

Sven

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Gary, there's a few models that share the same one. Just hard to come by in Aus especially with intact instrument clusters, usually destroyed in accidents. Hard to justify the $800 Yamaha wants though, I can manage without at that price as it's mine only has a busted LCD all the other lights work.
Edit: thanks to your post Gary I got to searching and looks like I may have lead on a FZ8 cluster will report back if I get it.

Last edited:

cowbasa

Reaction score
Visit site
several yamaha models share the same gauge: fz1, fz6, fz6r & fz8. these gauges cost used about $250 on ebay and there are plenty of them for sale

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yes, you are right. I didn't notice that. the red line is slightly different, but not much 11.5 vs 12
I was thinking along the lines of the FZ6 red line versus 11.5-12 K I think the FZ6 redline is 14k but heck that high and you should have shifted already anyway.

Sven

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting the fact that each of those bikes have varying part numbers and the fz1 cluster has two plugs not one?
My concern with the rpm difference is that I don't know how the ecu signals the rpm, it may be sent as a percentage making rpm actually read wrong? (I have no idea how this actually works)
The clusters on eBay for "$250" ends up being quite a bit like $400 AUD after shipping. Granted this is better than the $800 pricetag that Yamaha has (in saying that its second hand and going to read in MPH)

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A little known fact, while the FZ6 has a "redline" of 14,000 rpm - it can't hit it. The ECU shuts down the fun at 13,250. This is per a 2004 dyno run by MCN. I believe that the tach will show you hitting 14k...but it's not. So the OEM tach lies to us.

cowbasa

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting the fact that each of those bikes have varying part numbers and the fz1 cluster has two plugs not one?
My concern with the rpm difference is that I don't know how the ecu signals the rpm, it may be sent as a percentage making rpm actually read wrong? (I have no idea how this actually works)
The clusters on eBay for "$250" ends up being quite a bit like $400 AUD after shipping. Granted this is better than the $800 pricetag that Yamaha has (in saying that its second hand and going to read in MPH)
the MPH switches to KM/H if you press and hold both buttons for a couple of seconds, so it's not a problem. I guess the RPM difference might be a bigger issue to have them shown correctly. I didn't realize that all models despite they look the same have different limits. have just checked my 2007 FZ6 and yes, the red line starts at 14. so if you're planning to buy it used on ebay make sure on the picture it starts there otherwise it is designed for a different model no matter what seller is advertising