Yamaha Vmax

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
Hey guys, its been a while since my last post since I sold my bike.
Anyway I am thinking about getting a yamaha vmax.
But wanna get a good deal

The bike I am looking at is a
2005 yamaha vmax 6400 miles

the guy is trying to get 6500.
but he told me that he has had trouble selling it for a while now.

What do you guys think?
I think I can knock him down at least 500.

This is the link to the craigslist add
2005 V-max

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like a fair deal. The stage one kit is a great upgrade for the Vmax. So are the Super Trapps, although if you do get it and want a deeper rumble...check out the HMF exhausts for them. I do have video with sound if you want to hear what the HMF sounds like. Let me know, I will upload it on youtube if you want.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
Seems like a fair deal. The stage one kit is a great upgrade for the Vmax. So are the Super Trapps, although if you do get it and want a deeper rumble...check out the HMF exhausts for them. I do have video with sound if you want to hear what the HMF sounds like. Let me know, I will upload it on youtube if you want.

cool if I get it I will let you know.
I am just skeptical because it seems, that the new vmax is a vast improvement over the this one.
I am not in need of a bike and could wait it out a little till i could pick up the newer vmax.
Any Suggestions?

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
cool if I get it I will let you know.
I am just skeptical because it seems, that the new vmax is a vast improvement over the this one.
I am not in need of a bike and could wait it out a little till i could pick up the newer vmax.
Any Suggestions?

The new Vmax isn't so much a vast improvement as a completely different animal.

The plus side on the older ones is the technology isn't there, so you can work on it yourself. The mods that are out there work for most models older than 2009. They basically stayed the same after the first couple years. I think 85-86 were the only ones that differed. They had the exhaust that gave more HP then the newer ones. I also think the forks were a titch different too.

The plus of the newer one is that, as of right now, there aren't too many mods out there to buy, so you aren't as tempted to spend cash. Give it time though, the 2009 is one wild beast of a bike. Only downside of the new one is that you basically have to take it to the dealer for any problems...technology.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
The new Vmax isn't so much a vast improvement as a completely different animal.

The plus side on the older ones is the technology isn't there, so you can work on it yourself. The mods that are out there work for most models older than 2009. They basically stayed the same after the first couple years. I think 85-86 were the only ones that differed. They had the exhaust that gave more HP then the newer ones. I also think the forks were a titch different too.

The plus of the newer one is that, as of right now, there aren't too many mods out there to buy, so you aren't as tempted to spend cash. Give it time though, the 2009 is one wild beast of a bike. Only downside of the new one is that you basically have to take it to the dealer for any problems...technology.

Do you have a vmax yourself?

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
what did you think of it.
What are the negatives/positives in your opinion.
I have read the turning isnt that good.

Solid motor mounts and progressive fork springs fix the turning issues, it doesn't dive or hobby horse in corners if you do those 2 updates.

Plus side of the Vmax...POWER! Get into the boost and hang on lol

The clutch and shifting are awesome, sooo smooth compared to the FZ6.

Lower center of gravity, you are IN the bike instead of perched on top, makes it easier to move when you need to turn it around while in Neutral. (Instead of tippytoes)

The wind is pretty brutal on them, the ex had a little fly screen, but I still had to take my ponytails off my helmet, or I was a bobblehead. I found the wind missed my chest, but I got it full on in the head, my neck got a little sore after a couple hours.

There are a TON of aftermarket stuff for them, you can go the muscle bike (big bore kit), street bike (streetfighter add-ons), or cruiser look (big windscreen and highway pegs), depending on your style.

The stock seat has a bunch of complaints, but I didn't really mind it.

Frame Brace is a MUST...it tweaks in the corners.

Any other questions? I can't think of anything else right now.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
Solid motor mounts and progressive fork springs fix the turning issues, it doesn't dive or hobby horse in corners if you do those 2 updates.

Plus side of the Vmax...POWER! Get into the boost and hang on lol

The clutch and shifting are awesome, sooo smooth compared to the FZ6.

Lower center of gravity, you are IN the bike instead of perched on top, makes it easier to move when you need to turn it around while in Neutral. (Instead of tippytoes)

The wind is pretty brutal on them, the ex had a little fly screen, but I still had to take my ponytails off my helmet, or I was a bobblehead. I found the wind missed my chest, but I got it full on in the head, my neck got a little sore after a couple hours.

There are a TON of aftermarket stuff for them, you can go the muscle bike (big bore kit), street bike (streetfighter add-ons), or cruiser look (big windscreen and highway pegs), depending on your style.

The stock seat has a bunch of complaints, but I didn't really mind it.

Frame Brace is a MUST...it tweaks in the corners.

Any other questions? I can't think of anything else right now.

Thanks for all the answers I really appreciative it..
I will meet with the guy later on this week and we
will see what happens.

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the answers I really appreciative it..
I will meet with the guy later on this week and we
will see what happens.

No problem, chuck me a PM if you think of anything else. Let us know if you get it!