Yay or ney mods

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking into different things to help my FZ6 run over all more proficiently. Your opinion: yes or no

Power commander with shop/custom tune

+1/-2 gear set (making it a 520 chain set up i believe)

Scotts reusable 35 micron steal mesh oil filter

Double Bubble (stock seems to scoop quite a bit of air out of the way as it is though)

BMC air filter (as compared to getting the BMC over a K&N)

And lastly (for looks) to finish off the looks of the bike, a fully faired bike, or a 3/4 with the uppers and a lower cowl/bellypan.

Any and all suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated

Thanks everyone,
Travis

fz6sa-albums-my-fz-picture2666-dsc-1332.jpg

You MUST get sliders too!!!!

Both the frame sliders, and front and rear sliders!!

You would have to get a 520 set of sprockets and a new 520 chain to do a 520 conversion. 520 is the size (they say pitch) of the chain. You can get different sprockets in a 530 pitch as well. You would still need to get a new chain, however. When you do the chain/sprockets you have to do the whole set at once.

Also, I would just use a disposeable oil filter.

You would have to get a 520 set of sprockets and a new 520 chain to do a 520 conversion. 520 is the size (they say pitch) of the chain. You can get different sprockets in a 530 pitch as well. You would still need to get a new chain, however. When you do the chain/sprockets you have to do the whole set at once.

Also, I would just use a disposeable oil filter.

Yea, I have already found a 16/46 system that 520, although i would truly like to find a 3.0 - 3.3 ratio. One thing that i was looking into with the 520 system is that i can clean off of the bike due to a masterlink set up

Looking into different things to help my FZ6 run over all more proficiently. Your opinion: yes or no

Power commander with shop/custom tune Yes

+1/-2 gear set (making it a 520 chain set up i believe) Yes

Scotts reusable 35 micron steal mesh oil filter No

Double Bubble (stock seems to scoop quite a bit of air out of the way as it is though) If you don't mind how it looks

BMC air filter (as compared to getting the BMC over a K&N) 6 of one half a dozen of the other both good and both better than stock

And lastly (for looks) to finish off the looks of the bike, a fully faired bike, or a 3/4 with the uppers and a lower cowl/bellypan. I prefer the fz as naked as possible but I love the belly pan...

520 chain is narrower than 530 with the same pitch and will take less load. 530 is better unless you have a very good reason to go for the narrower chain eg. better choice of sprocket size.

Power commander with shop/custom tune

+1/-2 gear set (making it a 520 chain set up i believe)

Scotts reusable 35 micron steal mesh oil filter

Double Bubble (stock seems to scoop quite a bit of air out of the way as it is though)

BMC air filter (as compared to getting the BMC over a K&N)

And lastly (for looks) to finish off the looks of the bike, a fully faired bike, or a 3/4 with the uppers and a lower cowl/bellypan.

Any and all suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated

Thanks everyone,
Travis
PCIII with dynotune = Yes
-1/+2 gear change = Yes
Double Bubble screen = Yes
BMC/K&N filter = Yes, they're pretty much the same although the K&N is reusable

For fairings, I'd say just go with the lower/belly pan. Unless you do a lot of touring/highway riding, but in that case I wouldn't do the sprocket mod if you do.

belly pan.. I think that this is a much easier mod to do then full farings.. dont you have to get the full farrings painted?? the belly pan comes painted from yamaha.. finish's off the bike nicely.. good luck on the bike.. looks good so far

I have time, well i will when i get home anyway, lol. Time and Painting is fine wait if the outcome is better than the quick alternative. Color-rite makes great paint and i am thinking about making a lower cowl look really good with a custom paint with a black base and take the colorrite silver (the same as my FZ6) and make two "tirangle" Tips" that are going forward (hard to describe what is in my head) with either a "YAMAHA" decal or the yamaha symbol decal accross it. I can do the same with the bottom of Lowers (like teh powerbronze's" that have a cowl like area along with the sides.

My biggest Decision right now is right now is what look i preffer. To go along with the croud and want a fully faired bike, or to want something truely unique that will make fellow bike riders' heads turn as compaired to the average onlooker (for either they like all bikes, hate all bikes, or just a certain class of bikes) and until i figure out what i truely want, i will be debating this while hearing gunshots in the distance, lol.

I have time, well i will when i get home anyway, lol. Time and Painting is fine wait if the outcome is better than the quick alternative. Color-rite makes great paint and i am thinking about making a lower cowl look really good with a custom paint with a black base and take the colorrite silver (the same as my FZ6) and make two "tirangle" Tips" that are going forward (hard to describe what is in my head) with either a "YAMAHA" decal or the yamaha symbol decal accross it. I can do the same with the bottom of Lowers (like teh powerbronze's" that have a cowl like area along with the sides.

My biggest Decision right now is right now is what look i preffer. To go along with the croud and want a fully faired bike, or to want something truely unique that will make fellow bike riders' heads turn as compaired to the average onlooker (for either they like all bikes, hate all bikes, or just a certain class of bikes) and until i figure out what i truely want, i will be debating this while hearing gunshots in the distance, lol.

just remember how much easier maintenence is without fairings. :thumbup: if oil is leaking somwhere behind the fairings you may not see it until it is too late

For sliders get the T-Rex frame sliders, crashbobbins front and rear axle sliders - the best you can get at cheapest prices.

Can seriously recommend the Power Commander & Custom map...but with an after market exhaust that breathes better than the OEM exhaust...and as for a 520 conversion, -2 at the front, +1 at the rear...that has transformed my bike...but dont expect to have 6th gear as an overdrive gear anymore....

:thumbup:

going -2 in the front though would be a little durastic for street/canyon riding, wouldnt it? That is basically having a +9 ( -1 in the front is about a +4 in back if i remember right) in the back and that much of a change would let me move with the quickness, but doing the highway driving i do (visiting friends, etc). thats why i thought the +6 ( -1/+2) would be a big enough of a change. This mod, however, will be the last on my list due to me wanting to learn how to ride better before making the bike feel like a 850cc

Thank you everyone for the help, I really appreciate it

the BMC filter is not reusable?

Also i have heard that the K&N filters let in so much air that they can actually make the bike too lean due to a over "airy" mixture, this true, or just on some bikes but not the FZ6?

The BMC filter is a RACING filter, which means it's made to let the most air through while still filtering.

The K&N is a high performance STREET filter, which aims to do the same above but with better protection ability.

Back