Yellow Vis vests

I am not sure that there is any evidence to suggest that a loud pipe actually decreases accidents.

Nelly

I was overtaking a cyclist (on a quiet bike at about 30mph) he decided to turn right without looking behind or signalling and straight into my path. Not nice. In those circumstances I think a loud pipe helps.

I was overtaking a cyclist (on a quiet bike at about 30mph) he decided to turn right without looking behind or signalling and straight into my path. Not nice. In those circumstances I think a loud pipe helps.

Just remember the majority of that sound is coming out the rear of the bike.

I thought we would get some wise replies once I started this thread but we all seem to be quite sensible. I think as time goes on most people will end up wearing vis vests. But I don`t think it needs legislation for it to happen.

The idea that loud pipes saves lives is cobblers. I came from Intruders with both pipes drilled right through so no matter what you put on the FZ6 it would not compete with that. Loud pipes save lives look convincing on t-shirts thats all.

I like the Mil Spec Vests. They are not cheap but look tough enough. They are out of stock but expect them in on April 1st.

http://www.ultimatebikegear.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=307

Bike safe is an interesting site and advocate vis vests.

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/

I started wearing vis vests last year for my trip to France. I now have a zipped one from Neowell but Oxford do a nice one on E-bay. The zipped ones do not flap about like the velcro ones. they fit snug at all speeds.

As you can see by the photo my French trip vis vest left something to be desired but worked.

Steve

I wear one at night and when riding in traffic. I generally don't wear one on weekend rides out in the countryside or up in the mountains. I have one of the $55 ICON milspec vests.

I thought we would get some wise replies once I started this thread but we all seem to be quite sensible.

-I wear one so they can locate my body easier.
-It helps all my drunk buddies to follow me better.
-Police radar bounces right off me.
-In case of police chase I park the bike and stand on the side of the road directing traffic.
-I could think of worse members of the Village People.
-In order to really drive cagers crazy I also installed the blinking barrel lights.
-When I back up I beep just like construction equipment.
-I wear a hard hat in addition to my helmet for added protection.
-I sit at a desk all day so a construction vest makes me feel more manly.
-Sometimes I wear it with a shirt and tie under my dress jacket.
-It shines better than rhinestones!
-Wearing a vest won't get you a ticket for public nudity.
-I have my passengers wear one too and we weave our bodies back in forth to hypnotise people.
-I put a dummy on the back of my bike with a vest and push him off to discourage tailgaters.

I have a Richa textile jacket that has fluorescent areas, and I reckon looks pretty cool. It is what I wear for day to day riding (see attached pictures).

As we will be doing a few rallies this year I want to wear my leather jacket (more practical and wont stand out like a sore thumb on group shots). So I intend getting one of these for the travel bit to go over my leathers http://www.tinwolf.co.uk/

necrotimus...too funny.:thumbup:

I wear the Icon Squad Two backpack for the commute to work and leave the arms on, most people take them off, but I like the extra reflective surface for low vis driving. And since I'm military we are required to wear reflective gear (on and off duty)

its about $125.00, then they hit you with shipping:spank:

(http://www.motostrano.com/iconsquad2.html)

When not working a simple running vest which clasps on the sides

I wear the Icon Mil-Spec flourescent yellow vest every time I go out. Hard to say what affect it has. I've had it most of my 1.5 yr riding career and haven't yet had someone pull out. Once I get a piece of safety gear, I tend to wear it all the time. As someone said, "when you go down, you will be protected by whatever you put on when you put the leg over."

Could you post some more details on the strobe?
(Not legal in Denmark either, - but I don't think that would keep me from mounting it, if it can be done in a covert way).

You can pick them up here easily, flea markets, car "bling" shops and such.

I just draped them into the main headlight, was aiming for the podlights, but couldn't mount them properly. They've been on for a few weeks now, very eyecatching, but not as bright as i'd hoped. They're righ in the front of the nose, so the whole reflective part of the light blinks, even with brights on you see the flash.

Obviously fitted with on/off switch for when your stopped by a cop, sorry *off* has avoided fines by guys this side.

RE: loud pipes: if loud pipes save lives, imagine what a little skill will do?

I where a retnia burning high viz Olympia AST jacket. I think that car drivers see me better and as a result, they give me more room.

I have an Olympia Air Glide II in high vis yellow, wear it primarily when i commute and at night (I like the reflective bits). I also have a a set of 2 piece black leathers for the track and when I am out riding agressively with a group. The olympia has been outstanding in traffic, people do notice it!!!

Back