Yet another question on R6 mod..

astorm

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, sorry to ask an old question but wanted some opinions on my 07 FZ6. my Husband and I did our first track day a couple of weeks ago and are totally hooked. We both ride the street very aggressively - our honeymoon was spent down in NC/TN riding the twisties.

Last year I got a BMW 1200GS for my main road bike. Thus my FZ has been dedicated to a "sometimes" rider... Mods that I have done to the FZ before I got the BMW are - new exhaust and power commander. we also changed the gearing a bit. So, I want to turn this into my dedicated track bike to use over the next season or 2. I don't want to spend much more than 1000-1500 on any mods I make as we are pushing into the pricing for a "new" used bike at 2500-3000. So, I have started researching the R6 mod. I have read all of the posts and think that this is definitely the first thing to do. I also think that pulling the fairing and either going naked or retro fitting something else.

So my question is about the R6 mod, what year do fork/front end do I need to fit the 07 FZ? Do I need the full front end or just the forks?

Thanks for any input!
Alexandra

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, Alexandra. Welcome to the addition!!
Now.. what do you mean by "R6 mod"? Loads of people here have switched their forks for R6 units, but that's about it. Mind you.. you don't get the clip-ons with this mod.. what you get is fully adjustable internals (very beneficial on track). What were you hoping to replace?

I looked into doing something with my bike to make it better for the track (had FZ1 at that point), but in the end decided it was wiser to buy a used R6... I'm very glad I went that route.

Oh and I hope now that you've started riding on the track, you'll hang up riding "street very aggressively" :thumbup:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Eric, if you already have a primary street bike, and your FZ6 is in good sell-able condition, and you're not deeply emotionally attached to the FZ6, you're better off getting another bike. Your bike is worth roughly $3000ish now, maybe $3500 in the spring, the R6 fork mod will cost you $200-300. There's tons of already well set-up track bikes in the $3000-4000 range, especially this time of year. Or, you can find an late 90's/early 00's 600, in the sub-$2000 range, which will also be a better track bike than the FZ6, and leave you with extra money for tires and track days. This is how I got my 99 CBR F4 earlier this year.

Where in NY are you? I've got a few friends in CT that are selling well set-up track bikes.

Edit: also, to answer your question, for a 2007 FZ6, you will need the forks and axle from a 2003-2004 R6, or 2006-2009 R6S. You don't need the calipers, you'll use your existing ones. You'll also need caliper shims, axle spacers, and front fender spacers. The caliper shims are just washers you can get from a hardware store, but the axle and fender spacers you'll have to have made, or find someone on here selling them.

Last edited: