Zappa plays Zappa

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Being a huge Frank Zappa fan from the 70's and had enjoyed more than one of his concerts with the first being in 1974. So when I read Dweezil Zappa was playing his father's album "Roxy and Elsewhere" in Sacramento, California at the Crest Theater I knew I had to go. Best part is my son Joe also likes his music so for his 23rd birthday I said it was my treat to the show. We jumped into the family truckster and motored to downtown Sacramento for the concert.

We had a half hour to kill before the concert so we walked across the street to the "Dive Bar" , actually a nice place with a big aquarium above the bar. Sometimes mermaids can be seen swimming with the fish but we didn't have time to drink that much so after a couple pops we walked back across the street to the show.

The Crest Theater Welcome to the Crest Theatre is a very nice small venue, just the way I like it as my stadium concert days are long gone. It was a very good concert although the younger Zappa is much more reserved than his father but it was great to hear music I know preformed live. I'm sure Joe was impressed with my singing along with most of the songs.

After the concert we walked down to the stage where Joe ( he plays drums) was explaining the elaborate DW drum set to me when Dweezil walked by on his way to go sign autographs in the lobby. I asked him for a picture with me and he was very gracious to let Joe take our picture. I saw Frank preform this album 40 years ago and now my son is taking my picture with his son, something I could have never imagined back then.

Isn't life a trip.

IMG_0834_zpsdd25e988.jpg

Really crappy cell picture taken without the flash. When we lightened up the picture I lost some hair :rolleyes:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to see more of us zappaphiles on here I never tire of fz's music and I love when Dweezil tours here
The grandmothers are in Aust in April for bluesfest nap Murphy Brock on vocals can't wait
More live frank- just a pity it's not with him leading the show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just remember, broken hearts are for a$$holes. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtZ6hjiJmTU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtZ6hjiJmTU[/ame]

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! That is so great that you and your son shared this awesome show!

When I first heard Zappa and the Mothers of invention my head tilted toward the speaker like the old RCA Victor dog. The modal changes were so extra terrestrial and at the same time familiar. Then I heard John Mclaughlin and Mahavishnu Orchestra (Birds of Fire) and realized there had indeed been a melding that wasn't just the seemingly standard genre of music. People came up with the word "Fusion" It was beyond that. Soon there were virtuosos that could play anything that were lured into this new world that was like the complexity jazz improvisation but now in the electronic instrument world. Conventional transposing of music could not express what people were doing on guitar and new forms of transposing were developed just for guitar.

Steve Vai, one of the most renowned guitarist worked with Frank Zappa and those influences were of course passed on to not just Steve Vai but many other musicians.

I and Susie Creamcheese would have never found each other and married if not for Frank. We are forever in debt to this wonderful and courageous musician!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh5gCb1th90]Steve Vai about Frank Zappa - YouTube[/ame]

And of course Frank....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbeFjEHE-XY]Frank Zappa - Does humor belongs in Music? (1984) - YouTube[/ame]