1982 Yamaha XV920R Project Bike

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
so it looks like you abandoned rear suspension and went with a hardtail set-up.
it's looking good though.

did you ever think of using something like a ZRX or XJ13 swing. i know the Z-Rex is a Kawi but its a similar style bike and the swing is Al.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so it looks like you abandoned rear suspension and went with a hardtail set-up.
it's looking good though.

did you ever think of using something like a ZRX or XJ13 swing. i know the Z-Rex is a Kawi but its a similar style bike and the swing is Al.

No that's the OEM swing. It's the original Mono-Shock where the shock is below the saddle.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Enjoying the build... was given a '81 Yamaha 550 Vision in the late '90s... tank was rusted out, and all the idiot safety switches had rusted into one setting. Clutch 'out', sidestand 'down', bike 'in gear'. Between that, the rusted through tank, and blown fork seals it ended up being a little too unreliable for the 50 mile one way commute to work.

Surprisingly fun bike, otherwise.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pete,
I'm imagining that's an add on aftermarket oil cooler? I'm working on an auxiliary 12 volt muffin type fan for my SV1000s for the summer riding in the desert. Even though the SV is liquid cooled they kept the external oil cooler.

Nice new parts including the cigar! LOL!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Cliff,

Yes, that is a NOS Derale oil cooler made for that model. I bumped into it on FleaBay, total dumb luck.

I found a great shop that has a mill and they are able to fab up lots of small goodies. They made spacers for the rear wheel, the rear brake conversion, and few other odds and ends. The work is slow, but it is being done correctly. Besides its too cold to ride right now.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you'll have a very sweet ride when your done. As soon as I get my fan solution completed I'll send you a list for parts in case you're interested in aux. cooling. My first muffin type fan failed on my experiment because the fan blades were thinner plastic and my front exhaust pipe radiated to much heat in it's proximity. It's not easy sourcing a small 12 vdc muffin for this type application but I'm not giving up. :)
Can't wait to hear your project running!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again Cliff. I'm really excited about the project. I hope I get her back this Friday or Saturday. If not, the week after.

It's been very fun and the bike has responded well to mods. Once it's back from this trip the difference should be a quantum leap; another 4 to 5 lbs of rotating mass off the bike; 15 lbs total mass with the battery.

When I was at the shop last Saturday a bunch of "old guys" were hanging out BS'ing. To a tee all of them said, "This is how Yamaha should have done it to begin with." When I hear that from crusty old 65 year old riders, I know I'm on the right path.

It's also great to hear their advise. I've been kicking around bikes for 30 years now, these guys have 40 to 50 years old riding. I have ALOT to learn still.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay here she is!

Next up is reworking the saddle, and figuring out what color to paint her.

She's now 40lbs lighter, and sporting a new rear end.

With the rebuild carbs, and updated jetting she runs great! She also handles great, like a modern bike.

View attachment 46322

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Enjoying the build... was given a '81 Yamaha 550 Vision in the late '90s... tank was rusted out, and all the idiot safety switches had rusted into one setting. Clutch 'out', sidestand 'down', bike 'in gear'. Between that, the rusted through tank, and blown fork seals it ended up being a little too unreliable for the 50 mile one way commute to work.

Surprisingly fun bike, otherwise.

I bought a brand new '81 Vision back in about 1984. It was one the million left over bike that the Japanese had made. I think I paid $1,700 for it. I really wanted a new GPz550, but they were $2,800 or so but I could't aford it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay here she is!

With the rebuild carbs, and updated jetting she runs great! She also handles great, like a modern bike.

View attachment 46322

Great work Pete! That looks so good! I want to ride it. :BLAA:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay here she is!

46322d1358183698-1982-yamaha-xv920r-project-bike-xv920r-20130113.jpg

Great work Pete, She's a beaut :thumbup: can't wait to see it when finished.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys.

I spoke with the local saddle guy this morning and the soonest he can get me in is the 26th. Busy guy!

I want to level out and narrow the back of the saddle. I think that will make a BIG difference in the apprearance.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I see what. you mean about the seat.
Your oil cooler reminded me of this flat red Duc that had a scoop.
duc-motfoto1.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Killer pieces!

Who's Fred? Did you mash those up in CAD and have them built or are they a common after market upgrade piece?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Killer pieces!

Who's Fred? Did you mash those up in CAD and have them built or are they a common after market upgrade piece?

Fred who's a member here.

I found the base drawing on the XS650 site. He added the webbing and the edge bevels on his CAD set up. He has a CNC mill in his garage and cranked them out.

He's made parts for my FZ6; R6 fork spacers, and other bits. He also made the video on how to sync FZ6 throttle bodies.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Fred who's a member here.

I found the base drawing on the XS650 site. He added the webbing and the edge bevels on his CAD set up. He has a CNC mill in his garage and cranked them out.

He's made parts for my FZ6; R6 fork spacers, and other bits. He also made the video on how to sync FZ6 throttle bodies.

Verrrry nice..... did you lay on some clear coat to keep them as clean as they are now?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Verrrry nice..... did you lay on some clear coat to keep them as clean as they are now?

Not yet, as this is a prototype. We ended up making two subtle changes to align the caliper to the rotor better.

We are also being to plan out a replacement topclamp, as the OEM one is FUUUUUGLY.

View attachment 46474

RAASK rearsets arrived last night, they very much 1970.

I also ordered a Wilbers rear shock with remote preload and compression damping.

Mechanically she is rock solid!