outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently graduated from college and I've been wanting a small project bike to work on for a while now, so I got myself a gift.

Meet my new to me 1982 Yamaha SR185 Exciter!

What a great find this was. Previous owner's father bought the bike new in 1982 and it's been in his family ever since. It was kept garaged it's whole life and barely ridden. Only 5,600 miles when I picked it up. PO cleaned the carbs before selling so it runs like a champ. I replaced the rear tire (which was original), speedometer (needle was broken off), changed the engine oil, fork oil, cleaned and lubed the chain, and changed the air filter, which was clogged with mouse droppings.

This bike is incredibly fun to ride :rockon: 16 HP, single cylinder, air-cooled, 250 pounds wet, and 75 MPG. It tops out at about 65 MPH, but cruises all day at 55. Really comfortable too, and what a nice thumping sound it puts out. I've been riding this thing more than my FZ6 the last few days. Also, check out those cammed chain tension adjusters! Makes setting the chain tension and rear wheel alignment effortless. Talk about moving backwards technologically Yamaha!

I was originally planning to fix this bike up, ride it around for the Summer, and then sell it. But I've got a slight crush on it now, and it's gonna be hard to let such an old beauty go.

Enjoy!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool little bike, real clean too. Just remember those are drum not disc brakes and in the rain they don't work very well :eek:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice find and I've seen the concentric adjusters on later bike. They may perfect sense! :rockon:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great job! I'm a BIG fan of "slower" small motorcycles, I bet that flicks like a dream at such a ridiculously low wet weight!

I had a lot of fun riding home a new Ninja 300 for a friend the other day. I can't get enough of small motorcycles!

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha very similar to me, this has been my project bike for the past year and a half, just got it running this past weekend finally. A few more things to finish up and tweak but she's close to her final form. Its also a 185, though Honda not Yamaha :spank:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Great job! I'm a BIG fan of "slower" small motorcycles, I bet that flicks like a dream at such a ridiculously low wet weight!

I had a lot of fun riding home a new Ninja 300 for a friend the other day. I can't get enough of small motorcycles!

There's just something about a small bike... I rode it into Boston yesterday and got 80 MPG! So much fun.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's just something about a small bike... I rode it into Boston yesterday and got 80 MPG! So much fun.

I love the past! Great little machines.... Those MPGs are ridiculous! :thumbup:

O/T story on MPG...
A road trip in a 1965 Chev Corvair = 36mpg from 165 c.i. air cooled engine (2.7L) with 4 1bbl carbs, 4spd manual trans. No overdrive. Cruise speed 80mph. Rated at 140hp

1995 Toyo Camry 3L, V6 4spd auto. 26 mpg same 2000 mile trip at 80mph. Rated at 192hp

2006 Mazda 6, V6 3L, 6spd auto (heavier, faster, loaded), 24mpg... LOL but 225hp.

These stories of mpg on smaller lighter older machines caused a little reflection in time!