1986 Starting issue and revving issue

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a FZ600, 1986 with 24,000 miles earlier in the week. It started just great!! I even brought an experienced friend to test drive it and look at it. He said it ran great. The guy I bought it from said it had a tune up and carb cleaning recently, and the mechanic said it was just fine. My experienced friend then drove it home 50 miles, and he said it was running just fine. I then started riding and practicing on it just fine. Then Friday night, I was driving around, then went in a parking lot to practice stops etc. I turned off the bike, went to turn it back on, and it wouldn't turn over. I'd press the starter and it would just click. I let it sit for a while, thinking I just over-heated it. I went back to it, started it, and it started up just fine. had it going for a couple minutes then had to shut it off again. and when I went to start it, again it wouldn't go. we decided to jump it, and it started just fine. Got on it, went to drive off... and it wouldn't go faster than idling, even going all the way back on the trottle. asked someone about it, told them that a friend was playing with the choke, and they said it could be flooded. let it run for a bit, still wouldn't rev. I kept running it and eventually when I went back all the way it magically started going just fine again, revving how it should be. then all of a sudden it wouldn't rev again. turned it off. now it won't even start. Another weird thing that would happen the day before this started is it would be in neutral, turned on, I would rev it just a little and the it would start revving all by its self, I wasn't touching the throttle at all, the rpm's steadily and pretty quickly getting higher, until I would kill it because I didn't know what it was doing. What would be causing a failure to start, rev, and accelerate? Like I said, according to the guy who sold it to me carbs have just been gone through and a tune up done. I'm not sure if spark plugs were changed though. could this be it?
Any suggestions on what it could be?

Last edited:

Reaction score
Visit site
Update... Got the bike fixed!

We changed and regapped spark plugs.... the 4th cylinder's plug was all screwed up replaced it, and the gaps on the others were WAAAAY off.

Called a local mechanic shop called "The Motorcycle Doctor" to get a quote on how much it would be to go through the carbs. He told me with this bike, sometimes if it gets too hot the gas tank will flood the engine. try rebuilding the petc0ck first. change oil, get gas out of the cylinders, and start her up. did all that, and it seemed to have worked! :Flash:

So glad we got it going.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Missed your post on the 7th.

:welcome:to our forum and don't let the silence fool you! This a great friendly forum.

Glad you're getting it sorted out! :)