2000 miles in less than 36 hours....

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I did it again. I went for another IBA ride earlier this month by attempting a Saddle Sore 2000 GOLD. 2000 miles in under 36 hours. I wanted to plan a ride that would test me in various ways so I planned my ride in New England during the week of 4th of July. This one pushed me to the edge and back again, literally.

If you like you can read about the entire ride by clicking on the link below.

Saddle Sore 2000 GOLD

-bryan

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats intense. Just barely making it to that gas pump haha. Youd be crazy not to steal it from the accord cutting it that close. I plan on doing the ss1000 for my first iba ride.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats intense. Just barely making it to that gas pump haha. Youd be crazy not to steal it from the accord cutting it that close. I plan on doing the ss1000 for my first iba ride.

Good call! I would suggest making a loop route that goes around your home location. Down and back routes are very boring... honestly it was the hardest part of this last ride. Good luck!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I did it again. I went for another IBA ride earlier this month by attempting a Saddle Sore 2000 GOLD. 2000 miles in under 36 hours. I wanted to plan a ride that would test me in various ways so I planned my ride in New England during the week of 4th of July. This one pushed me to the edge and back again, literally.

If you like you can read about the entire ride by clicking on the link below.

Saddle Sore 2000 GOLD

-bryan
Congrats!
I wasn't out for a record, but my longest ride to date was 517.4 miles in 15 hours. I was tired for 2 days after that!

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's an interesting read! The dizziness on the bike had to be a serious pucker moment, but I bet you were stoked out of your mind when you saw you still had time to complete!

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
At work so I don't have time to read until later. I've been thinking of doing a IBA ride for a couple years now. I've done 4 or 5 hours in the saddle more than a few times and I have to ask, what do you wear for pants? Not to put too fine a line on it but after a few hours riding in hot weather my bottom starts to get a bit raw. I've used cotton undies, bathing suits and an extra pair of cotton shorts. Nothing seems to let the sweat dry enough to avoid the raw.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
At work so I don't have time to read until later. I've been thinking of doing a IBA ride for a couple years now. I've done 4 or 5 hours in the saddle more than a few times and I have to ask, what do you wear for pants? Not to put too fine a line on it but after a few hours riding in hot weather my bottom starts to get a bit raw. I've used cotton undies, bathing suits and an extra pair of cotton shorts. Nothing seems to let the sweat dry enough to avoid the raw.

Stay away from cotton anywhere on the body. Synthetic moisture wicking material is best. Especially for underwear and socks. A majority of the Long Distance riding community wear a certain brand of base layers. Called LD comfort. Link below. Personally I do not own any of it yet but I will in the future I am sure.

LD COMFORT

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats!
I wasn't out for a record, but my longest ride to date was 517.4 miles in 15 hours. I was tired for 2 days after that!

Gotta work up to it. Dont concern yourself so much with the miles, esp if you are doing alot of back roads and twisties. Those miles are much harder on you than busting interstate. Look more at the time you are spending in the saddle vs how much you are off the bike.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
It's an interesting read! The dizziness on the bike had to be a serious pucker moment, but I bet you were stoked out of your mind when you saw you still had time to complete!

Yea that wasnt a good moment. Scared me a good bit to say the least. Yes, seeing that way point and realizing I had just enough time to spare was one hell of a boost!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I consider myself a hard core rider, I have the experience to do it, but that's crazy.

I can see the point of riding a 1000 miles to get from point A to B, or if not a bit more. Most I've done is 938 in 19.5 hours but that's with Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons crammed in the ride. And waited 1.5 hours for Old Faithful, what a dud! But 2000 miles, I'm thinking that's starting to get dangerous.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea that wasnt a good moment. Scared me a good bit to say the least. Yes, seeing that way point and realizing I had just enough time to spare was one hell of a boost!

I notice you mentioned you were on a Suzuki V in the article (can't remember now if it was the Strom or the SV), but you had pics of your Fz6. Got any recommendations on windscreens and saddles? I've been looking to make my bike more rideable for interstate style driving.

Come to think of it, any suggestions on improving riding comfort in general? Maybe there's something about sitting a certain way, who knows.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I consider myself a hard core rider, I have the experience to do it, but that's crazy.

I can see the point of riding a 1000 miles to get from point A to B, or if not a bit more. Most I've done is 938 in 19.5 hours but that's with Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons crammed in the ride. And waited 1.5 hours for Old Faithful, what a dud! But 2000 miles, I'm thinking that's starting to get dangerous.

Haha if you think I am crazy you should start looking into some of the rallies that are hosted all through out the US. The Iron Butt Rally just finished up last week, an 11 day rally that covers the entire US. Most competitive riders will cover in excess of 11,000 miles over the 11 days while dealing with temperatures from upper 30's to 120. Rain and shine. So riding in the shadows of those men and women I still consider myself a casual rider.

Its all in what you want to do. Its not every ride that I go out and do those kinds of miles. I still prefer a good 400 mile day tearing up the back roads of the Appalachian mountains, stopping and looking around when ever I feel like it. But occasionally its nice to push your self and see what you really can do. When I got to the point where it was dangerous, I stopped.

Plus another way to look at it, when vacation time is limited and your destination is a 1000+ miles away.. you gotta make time. :)

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I notice you mentioned you were on a Suzuki V in the article (can't remember now if it was the Strom or the SV), but you had pics of your Fz6. Got any recommendations on windscreens and saddles? I've been looking to make my bike more rideable for interstate style driving.

Come to think of it, any suggestions on improving riding comfort in general? Maybe there's something about sitting a certain way, who knows.

I sold my FZ a bit over a year ago and purchased a Vstrom. I have many pictures of my FZ on an album somewhere... Ill have to dig it up. My FZ was a 2005 and I ran the Yamaha Touring screen. It was OK, but not great. As for seats, honestly, forget the prefab seats you can buy off the shelf. Corbin, Yamaha's comfort seat, Top Saddlery, Sarget, etc... if you want something comfortable for your rear, you need a seat made for your rear. Look into Russel Seats or Rick Mayer Seats. These companies will custom build a seat to your back side based on the kind of riding you do. You send in pictures of you sitting on the bike, include some measurements and weights and send out your seat. Im running a Rick Mayer on my Vstrom. My butt has yet to bother me on a ride.

As for bags. I had soft bags and hated them. They were great for the fact that I could take them off and not effect the looks. However, having locking and water proof bags on a bike is priceless for me now. For the FZ I would highly recommend the givi bags.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
For me, this is beyond remarkable!!!

I have not done yet long trip on the bike, just ~200-300 miles weekend trips!!!

Last Sunday I was on the bike non-stop for about an hour on the interstate and that crunches any thoughts of being able to do 1000 miles in one day!!!

So, from that point of view, you considering yourself a casual rider compared to the riders completing the big Iron Butt rallies then makes me feel like I only take my bike from my garage to put gas on it in the closest gas station!!!! Ahahahahahaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
For me, this is beyond remarkable!!!

I have not done yet long trip on the bike, just ~200-300 miles weekend trips!!!

Last Sunday I was on the bike non-stop for about an hour on the interstate and that crunches any thoughts of being able to do 1000 miles in one day!!!

So, from that point of view, you considering yourself a casual rider compared to the riders completing the big Iron Butt rallies then makes me feel like I only take my bike from my garage to put gas on it in the closest gas station!!!! Ahahahahahaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha no. Just ride what you are comfortable riding. I have been riding bikes since I was 5 and began racing hare scrambles when I was 8 or 9. My races went from 30 minutes long, to 45 minutes long in the minis. Then I jumped up to the larger class of bikes and my races went to 1.5 hours to 2 hours. When I went out for a ride on my dirt bike (non race) I would stay out all day. 100 mile days. I have always enjoyed motorcycling the point at which I do not want to get off of it. I meant no disrespect to anyone with that comparison that I put on myself.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site

FZ6 Photos by skeeterman426 | Photobucket

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gotta work up to it. Dont concern yourself so much with the miles, esp if you are doing alot of back roads and twisties. Those miles are much harder on you than busting interstate. Look more at the time you are spending in the saddle vs how much you are off the bike.
That's exactly what it was. It was the last NJ/NY Bear mountain ride. For me , it's just about 100 miles to Erci's house...non highway, of course, and that is just the start of my day. It was also the first long ride of the season for me so that didn't help. I just wasn't conditioned yet. Of course, weather plays a huge part of it too. Too hot or too cold can make a big difference in your day.