2004 fz6 no power on full throttle

chris2676

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, hopefully someone on here can help!
I have a 2004 fz6 with 22k on the clock, the problem I am having is the bike will start fine, when you pull off and open her up the bike "bogs down" win no response from the fully open throttle.
The issue started with me removing the cam chain tensioner as it was making a noise. It was refitted and all was ok. When riding home that night I noticed it was struggling for power and seemed to be suffering from fuel starving, I removed the fuel pump and all appeared ok.
I have then checked the air filter and spark plugs, coils, ht leads and all are ok.
Still the bike has the issue,
If you ease the throttle on gradually the bike will pick up speed and the revs increase in any gear, however give it full throttle and it makes a loud growling noise think this sound is air related and the bike just bogs down.

It has also to add had the tps sensor changed under warranty, and there are no active fault codes

Please please help!

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
She just transform into a FZ6R!!! Oh no!!! LOL

When you change your cam chain tensioner, did you make sure all the timing mark are still spot on? Very easy to make a mistake... even if you don't want to. Pop the valve and side cover off and double check the timing mark. The tensionner need oil psi to charge itself. So you kind of need to hold the slider and spin the engine by hand for few turn then hit the starter until the tensionner is fully charge. Not a bad idea to thumb tight the valve cover bolts back in so the oil doesn't leak out and can build pressure.

I have a question about the ticking noise. Does it occur in the first few second when you start the bike?

Double check and once you're sure... triple check!

Last edited:

chris2676

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I haven't touched or affected the timing.
All that was done was the tensioner was removed, cleaned up, and refitted as it was sticking. I never removed the timing chain or altered anything other than refitting the tensioner which just bolts on o he side of the engine,

lrojasma

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 used to do that, it´s kind of weird, it´s like you feel more power as you ease on the throttle.

It happened to be the air filter, i just put a K&N and everything went fine again.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
When does this this happen? Like what gear what rpm what speed etc etc. if your trying to crack open the throttle in 6th gear rolling 30-40mph of course the bike will "growl" at you I kinda love to sound and do it on purpose some times but if your in the upper rpm band in the right gear like above 7k or preferably higher and it's still not accelerating then you might just have a issue.

chris2676

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, the problem happens in the orrect gear, for example you pull off form a stand still open the throttle and nothing, pop it in to second and give it full throttle once your moving and again nothing, this happens right through the gears.
The strange thing is though, if you go through the gears opening the throttle very slowy the bike will pick up speed but its only when you ask something of the engine its gutless.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
You say the right gears but what rpms is the motor at when you try going wide open? Also does it do in neutral, like can you pull the clutch in and it will rev just fine?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking you've got a gummed up fuel system. Pick up a can of Sea Foam, mix it strong (for cleaning) and run through a couple tanks and see if it improves any.

Mac fz6n

Reaction score
Visit site
My mate's Z1000 was doing the same thing, rode fine when cruising but lost power when he opened the throttle.

Turned out his fuel pump wasn't able to maintain the required pressure when under heavy load.
New fuel pump and he's back in buisiness!

My 2cents.

Mac.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So you're saying it never had this issue, you pulled the TCT and now it lags to respond with the throttle, but if slooooooooowly eased up in RPM it will raise to say 12,000 RPM with no problem? The second post in holds allot of merit as I also think the removal of the TCT has inadvertently allowed your cam timing to be altered. I would suggested you check the timing ASAP!

Question; are the headers hotter or colder than normal; do you have a previous compression test result you could compare too and see if the numbers changed (do a compression test now may be helpful also). What you describe sounds like the CAM timing is retarded as it revs but make no power from idle up. Hence the "throaty" sound.

Marthy - any clue how many degrees "one tooth" would equate too?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I haven't touched or affected the timing.
All that was done was the tensioner was removed, cleaned up, and refitted as it was sticking. I never removed the timing chain or altered anything other than refitting the tensioner which just bolts on o he side of the engine,

Did you turn the engine over (any means, hand or starter) while the TCT was removed?
And what lead you to removing it then? Was it purely the noise?