2005 stock tyre - too old ?

bane

Boss
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello my dear friends,

I have a 2005 "darling" with stock tires on it :eek:, although the tyres look like brand new and do not have any damage on it, I'm just worried not to mess something up.. Treads on tyres are like on a new ones, since the bike was driven only around 5ooo kilometres...

Do I have to expose myself to extra cost and buy new ones? As I predict answer already, I would like to hear some opinions..

Thank you in advance!

* yeah, yeah it's my serbenglish... :BLAA:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i bane

well yes i think you should change them for safety's sake. the tyres are already 6 yrs old at least and they would have lost some of their elasticity and grip, so you are basically riding on a piece of wood!

do also check that when buying new tyres you check the manufacturing date. if they are too old they are useless even if they are brand spanking new. there should be 4 numbers printed on the shoulder of the tyres which indicate the week and the year ex 0409, indicates it was made in the 4th week of 09.

MagicMANX

Reaction score
Visit site
get new ones!, that old rubber must be rock solid, and thats not a good thing

Recommend Michelin Pilot Power 2CT, very nice grip and stability.

Cheers !

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Find a squid to sell your rear tire to. It will be great for burnouts. Make sure to charge them a premium for the aged rubber. Not only is it easier to spin, but the smoke has a much richer aroma!

bike_burnout.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The rubber looses it's properties over time regardless of miles. I bought a 2007 Sv1000s last August. It was a brand new leftover off the showroom floor but the tires were at least 3 years old. I rode on them for a few hundred miles and I could see the rubber was flaking like the rubber was very dry on the tread. The sidewalls looked great with no cracking but I didn't trust them and changed them. An 05 with original rubber! :eek:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
if the fz wasn't a 120< mph bike, sure, keep them, but it IS, so it's time for new ones.

Huh? So 100 mph bike it would be okay? It isn't the bike it's the tires, I'd replace old tires even on a scooter.

Replace them- you are worth it, aren't you?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i bane

well yes i think you should change them for safety's sake. the tyres are already 6 yrs old at least and they would have lost some of their elasticity and grip, so you are basically riding on a piece of wood!

do also check that when buying new tyres you check the manufacturing date. if they are too old they are useless even if they are brand spanking new. there should be 4 numbers printed on the shoulder of the tyres which indicate the week and the year ex 0409, indicates it was made in the 4th week of 09.

+1 :thumbup:

Don't be fooled when buying new tires, freshness counts. Look or ask for the date stamp. Consider buying tires as you would for buying milk or fruit. Sometimes, places will offer a great price on tires so make sure that they are not old.

bane

Boss
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: 2005 stock tire - too old ?

An 05 with original rubber! :eek:
yeah, yeah... :ban: :BLAA:

thank you all, you prevailed (I hear echoes from my wallet :banghead:

I will resume all your recommendations and definitely buy new ones, unfortunately in Serbia I do not have a chance to choose a lot, but am sure where I can ask for advice :rolleyes:

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU ALL !!!!!:blowkiss: