2014 mileage contest

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
Im within spitting of 10,000 for the year on the FZ. Its like 9700 and change.... I just dont drive a whole lot. My car has only gotten ~1,900 miles since its emissions test last year (nov 2013). But id be lying if I said that $1.94 gas prices have made me think twice about riding when its in the 20's/30's ;)
You guys need to get jobs closer to home BlahBlah

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
Not about being close enough when cold. It is about there usually being snow/ice when it is that cold here!

And working 12+ hrs a day makes it much less desirable to ride to work when it takes as long to dress as it does to get there. to get dressed, then undressed at work, the redress to go home and undress again.. When working 12+ that is another 1/2 hr to hour just getting dressed for a 15-20 min ride. Not worth the time for me.

A day off were I will ride many miles . sure thing . but just for work

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not about being close enough when cold. It is about there usually being snow/ice when it is that cold here!

And working 12+ hrs a day makes it much less desirable to ride to work when it takes as long to dress as it does to get there. to get dressed, then undressed at work, the redress to go home and undress again.. When working 12+ that is another 1/2 hr to hour just getting dressed for a 15-20 min ride. Not worth the time for me.

A day off were I will ride many miles . sure thing . but just for work

If you must wear a coat and tie to work, I can certainly understand how inconvenient it would be to swap out your clothing. But if you don't wear a suit, putting on motorcycle gear, full gear from boots, armour pants, heated gear, etc, takes me about 30 seconds. In my opinion, riders who complain about how much time it takes to put on and take off gear is over exaggerated, unless it's a one piece racing suit.

After putting in a 12 hour work day, that would be the perfect reason to get on a bike for most people.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
If you must wear a coat and tie to work, I can certainly understand how inconvenient it would be to swap out your clothing. But if you don't wear a suit, putting on motorcycle gear, full gear from boots, armour pants, heated gear, etc, takes me about 30 seconds. In my opinion, riders who complain about how much time it takes to put on and take off gear is over exaggerated, unless it's a one piece racing suit.

After putting in a 12 hour work day, that would be the perfect reason to get on a bike for most people.
My full winter set up takes a good 10 minutes either way: thermals, double socks, armoured trousers, two snoods, jacket, attach jacket to trousers, helmet, glove liners, gloves, rucksack, plug gloves in to bike annnnnnnnnd go! But my journey is an hour each way, so it pays to prepare.

For summer or short journeys, it's just like leaving the house. Kevlar jeans and a T shirt, just like normal wear, boots, jacket, lid and gloves and I'm gone. No bother.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
I leave at about 5:30 am and come home around 7-7:30 pm . I always wear jacket gloves lid and a work boot anyway. But the extra time for extra layers ( specific uniform for work ) on and off not worth it for me. As long/longer to put on and take off than the length of the ride itself. I would rather use that for "quality " time after I got home ! Lol

A day off when I can ride more and can choose what I wear. No problem ! But I tend to cut off around 40-45° anyway for personal preference. If I wanted to wear that much gear I will get a sled ( snowmobile for those southerners not used to the lingo) to make up in the winter months

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Heated jacket will eliminate layering. Although I don't ride for an hour, maybe 20-30 minutes at most in one direction, just a long sleeve shirt, heated jacket and gloves and then my winter riding jacket is all I need, and that's with the temps in the mid teens, or even single digits. My Motoport Airmesh Kevlar pants came with a winter liner, but I haven't had a need to use it yet, only when the temps get down to zero or minus level I will insert my liner. The only difference between summer and winter riding is adding one heated jacket, and then using a winter riding jacket, so it really doesn't add any significant time, maybe 5 seconds?

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to check my mileage so I can keep track this year. As for riding to work...as a college professor it's not the gear that causes a problem, it's the helmet hair! And the need to carry a bunch of files back and forth. And I don't like to ride my black bike on the freeways at night. Perhaps my schedule this semester will allow me to ride more often!

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see a 2015 mileage thread so will just post here. Started year at 84,185 and ended at 104,506 = 20,321. Just about the same as last year. Still 99% boring commute miles. Would take half if it meant quality miles.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see a 2015 mileage thread so will just post here. Started year at 84,185 and ended at 104,506 = 20,321. Just about the same as last year. Still 99% boring commute miles. Would take half if it meant quality miles.

LOL, that's the mileage I have on my bike, within a 100. But you should beat me going away, I have two bikes now.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
If we call my end milage 45750 that's 45750-28577=17173. Which seems odd. I've had less lost commuting and more long trips, thought it'd be closer to 20,000. Maybe the few fun days I missed out on have been more than I thought.

2015 will be my last "biggish" year though. I start a job in March, much closer to home. 40 miles a day instead of 45 each way.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
I find it odd that now I have a road sofa I have done the less miles ever. Almost all of them were just to work. And her bike sadly didn't move an inch this year. Reconstructive shoulder surgery will do that! So

My wing - 2,500 pathetic miles
Fz6 - 0

This year I have about a 1,000 east coast trip that should help!

Paydrow

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I kept looking for one since Dec. Perhaps I should've started one :)

Started 42,470
Ending 66,500

Total 24,030

Had to bypass my kill switch due to spontaneous and abrupt stops while riding and adjust my valves at 50k, but otherwise, another great year of riding.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Parked it in November 2015, about 6 mi short of 25,000. Roughly ~4,500 mi in 2015.
Less group rides than 2014 and lots of solo time just playing. As a non-commuter "pleasure only" rider, Im OK with that!