2015 Daytona Bike Week. Day 5 (demo'd R6, GSXR1000, Victory Magnum, A bunch of Harleys)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
R6:
2015-yamaha-r6.jpg

I'll just use a bunch of adjectives to *review* this one: torture, pain, discomfort, insane-to-use-on-street.. scalpel, precision, begs-to-be-ridden-on-track.

GSXR1000
257F60A4AE7D482D923E235AC7E0FB78.ashx

After R6, this felt shockingly comfortable. Love the power of liter super sport too.. way better for street use, in my opinion. It can actually be almost *relaxing*, since it'll happily spin at 5k rpm and have plenty of go should you twist the throttle (the 600's need to be at 7+ before they really start to move).

Victory Magnum:
2016-magnum-x-1-p5.jpg

No need to talk about this.. if you've ridden one, you've ridden them all. Same clunky trans and a motor which feels much like it's going to break if you ask too much of it. The only thing that changes is the paint and wind protection (well.. mostly, anyway).
I do like their bikes, as far as cruisers go. Definitely not the smoothest of the bunch, but they look good, as far as cruisers go and do pull pretty well.

Harley (Wide Glide, Ultra Limited, Road Glide).
I really wanted to like them.. I really did, but sound was about the only thing I liked (stock pipes.. not loud, but a really nice rumble). Even the ones with biggest motors are *weak* compared to competitors (Indian, for example pulls much better and smoother).
Ergonomics are plain bad.. nothing is adjustable.
My biggest gripe (silly, but important): idiotic turn indicators! There's a switch on either side. To turn on right turn signal, you have to use right thumb. Good luck doing this while keeping a steady throttle... but wait there's more! They're supposed to be self canceling, but this does not always work. To cancel, you must press right again to cancel right signal. Same goes for left. Click it once too many times and the signal is on again.
But at least one of the bikes I demo'd was $36k :eek: :eek:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My second bike is a Victory Kingpin with a 100 CI (1636cc) motor.

The magnum is an improved version of the same motor.

It sounds like you are just not used to the way a big V-twin motor runs. That motor unlike harley is designed to rev and pulls much better up top. It is supposed to sound tappy (valve noise), The transmission gears are HUGE! They will be clunky. None of these means something is going to break. My Uncle logged over 116K miles on his first Victory, before he traded it in. Never once did the motor need opened up for anything. Just tires, oil and 2 drive belts.

My Victory pulls like a raped ape. Sure it's loud and clunky compared to the precision of an inline 4 motor but there is something about V-twins that is more rewarding that 105 ft lbs of torque stock...probably why people love them. That Magnum will get 45-50 mpg on the highway, better than most 600cc inline 4's.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My second bike is a Victory Kingpin with a 100 CI (1636cc) motor.

The magnum is an improved version of the same motor.

It sounds like you are just not used to the way a big V-twin motor runs. That motor unlike harley is designed to rev and pulls much better up top. It is supposed to sound tappy (valve noise), The transmission gears are HUGE! They will be clunky. None of these means something is going to break. My Uncle logged over 116K miles on his first Victory, before he traded it in. Never once did the motor need opened up for anything. Just tires, oil and 2 drive belts.

My Victory pulls like a raped ape. Sure it's loud and clunky compared to the precision of an inline 4 motor but there is something about V-twins that is more rewarding that 105 ft lbs of torque stock...probably why people love them. That Magnum will get 45-50 mpg on the highway, better than most 600cc inline 4's.
I've ridden lots of v-twins at this point. I find Victory to be extra harsh and clunky compared to others (Indian, suzuki for instance). I do like them all in all.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden lots of v-twins at this point. I find Victory to be extra harsh and clunky compared to others (Indian, suzuki for instance). I do like them all in all.

I agree there. Once you put straight pipes on the bike you can't hear the clunkiness over the exhaust! :thumbup:

I never thought I'd buy a cruiser, almost bought an FJR1300 as my touring bike before I decided to go for the Victory. I do not regret my decision one bit. I have bad knees, bad back, bad neck and I can ride the Victory 1800 miles in 4 days without any pain! I couldn't have done that on the FJR. The Victory is like an Easy Boy on 2 wheels.