24,000 miles valve clearance advice

Meshuggah

Reaction score
Visit site
the intake specifications says it should be between 0.13 and 0.20. Most of them are at 0.13. What shall I do? leave them or because they are basically at the limit of the specification, pretend they are let's say 0.10 and change the shims?
I don't want to have to re open the engine again in a few 1000s miles.
thanks for your advices.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Two votes for leave them!

If it makes you feel any better the 03 - 06 R6 cousin runs them tighter at
Int: 0.12 - 0.19mm
Exh: 0.16 - 0.23mm

And all but the intake springs are the same part numbers.

So, what numbers did you find on your exhaust??? Can you list them out? Thanks!

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Just did mine at 30k :spank:

They were pretty far off, Intake was pretty close to in spec but since I was definitely going to have to do them for the exhaust (all severely too tight) I figured I'd do both and put them towards the middle-upper range. I was able to recycle shims for some of them and got it all done with just 3 packs of shims.

If you're doing the exhaust, I'd say do the intake too and put them both closer to mid-upper spec range, since they'll tighten up over time. Odds are you won't check spec until 48k if you leave them, and in that time they'll definitely be too tight, probably for the majority of the next 24k miles.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine; all exhaust opened up and were LOOSE, 3 greater than 0.40mm, intakes all within 0.05mm of each other and in spec.

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
Im at 42,500km and just took it to the dealer today for its adjustment. Gonna be pricey $$$ :( but hey, I'm not attempting that myself, haha

Last edited: