2up practice

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Provided I was wearing gear and he promised to replaced my lid if he laid it down, absolutely. I reckon it'd be great fun, trying to scrape the pegs while constantly trying to misbalance him. Lol. Just me though. Another poster mentioned the difference between a mate and his girl on the back. I noticed it too, roughly 70lbs difference between my mate and my girl - I forgot to adjust the preload for him, and couldn't put up the sidestand!

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a confession. I got my first taste of freedom of riding riding a pillion... on a cruiser.... with my gfriend at the time as the rider. I'm 6'3, she was 5'9 i think and skinny - there had to be at least 60 lbs of difference between us. Took some serious self-confidence. Needless to say: a) I was in control of leaning b) got comments on EVERY darn traffic light from guys in trucks. I survived tho, and got hooked, which lead me to take MSF course in a few years now i'm here.
I'd do it again, to be honest. I generally try not to give $@^* what somebody thinks. just make sure your friend is not going to try to pull off wheelies.
:thumbup:

Here is the boost of confidence:

2916705_std.jpg

C'mon, you knew this would come up sooner or later! ;)

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see anything weird, funny or ugly on those pictures.

Let me explain you why:

here in my country you see two guys on the same bike all the time, no matter if it is on a big town, a small one, on the highways, etc, no matter if it is a scooter, a mopped, a standar one, a dual sport like the suzuki dr650, fizzers, vstrom's, etc, etc, here it is and has always been completely normal to ride two up with a friend, coworker, relative, etc, actually our police and army forces go two up on motorcycles, mainly suzukis dr650 and xf650 freewinds, and yamahas xt660

Suzuki dr650 police version
438230190_N6HaL-L.jpg

Yamaha xt660r police version
891526134_DTPdk-L.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixdCqI9hUPc]YouTube - ‪Policía persigue manifestantes en visita de Bush a Colombia‬‏[/ame]

Cheers

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
oh com on guys sod all this male pride. yeah help him out he needs to practice. gear up and do a good plenary discussing what signs to use if you need to stop/accellarate and adjust tyre pressure and preload as well. practicing in a parking lot is a good way to start. i went pillion with guys and took guys as pillion as well so i dont think its weird!)

(i would bribe him to buy you a case of beer or about replacing your lid is to be taken into consideration!)

i was very afraid to take pillions with me before i had accumulated some miles under my belt. then i took a very heavy girl with me (taller and heavily built but not fat) and went for a ride. the bike felt light at the front and felt weird but i got the hang of it. taking off on hills is not fun to needs some serious clutch brake gas control!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Harry and Loyd only look a lil more silly than Ricky and I did....
feel free to laugh, i do every time i look at these pics :D

View attachment 36215

View attachment 36216

View attachment 36217

View attachment 36218

View attachment 36219

after a lil while at the church lot we went for a ride (on our own bikes)

it wont do you guys/gals any good to tell me he needs to be ATGATT cause i already tell him every time we go for a ride and it hasn't sunk in yet :(
So how did the session go?

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see anything weird, funny or ugly on those pictures.

Let me explain you why:

here in my country you see two guys on the same bike all the time, no matter if it is on a big town, a small one, on the highways, etc, no matter if it is a scooter, a mopped, a standar one, a dual sport like the suzuki dr650, fizzers, vstrom's, etc, etc, here it is and has always been completely normal to ride two up with a friend, coworker, relative, etc, actually our police and army forces go two up on motorcycles, mainly suzukis dr650 and xf650 freewinds, and yamahas xt660

Suzuki dr650 police version
438230190_N6HaL-L.jpg

Yamaha xt660r police version
891526134_DTPdk-L.jpg

YouTube - ‪Policía persigue manifestantes en visita de Bush a Colombia‬‏

Cheers
I totally agree, motorcycles are for sharing.
Only boys with issues over their manliness:BLAA: make a big deal of it:spank:.
I bring a mate to work, have collected a buddy from the airport and introduced a few other fellas to two wheels through the joys of two up riding:eek:

Cheers
Nelly

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I totally agree, motorcycles are for sharing.
Only boys with issues over their manliness:BLAA: make a big deal of it:spank:.
I bring a mate to work, have collected a buddy from the airport and introduced a few other fellas to two wheels through the joys of two up riding:eek:

Cheers
Nelly

:thumbup:

You've proved a champ, yet again

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
So how did the session go?

Nelly

As expected his starts were under powered (not enough throttle to quick leting out the clutch) at first but he got that pretty quick. Tight turns were verry shaky in the beginning but by the end of the session he was doing quite well (making turns smoothly and little to no sawing with the bars). Stopping.....now that is his big "needs improvement" area! He would use both brakes till he got around 5mph then he would be off the rear and dragging his feet like out riggers and wiggle to a stop. Even taking my extra weight into consideration his stopping distance was WAY to long. He said he wants to go out a few more times to work on it (thank goodness). I'd have to say it went well.

BTW: He picked up my check at Bdubs later that evening.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stopping.....now that is his big "needs improvement" area! He would use both brakes till he got around 5mph then he would be off the rear and dragging his feet like out riggers and wiggle to a stop. Even taking my extra weight into consideration his stopping distance was WAY to long.

Just in case it hasn't come up, tell him to keep looking straight ahead as he brakes. Not to either side and definitely not down.

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
Just in case it hasn't come up, tell him to keep looking straight ahead as he brakes. Not to either side and definitely not down.

Will do, thanks!

Any pass it along advice form a MSF instructor would also be appreciated.

Ricky has been my bud for 10+ years and through practice/training hopefully many more!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Will do, thanks!

Any pass it along advice form a MSF instructor would also be appreciated.

Ricky has been my bud for 10+ years and through practice/training hopefully many more!

That advice IS from MSF (though I'm not an instructor... yet).

Can he execute a perfectly controlled stop when he rides solo? Watch him try in the lot. Stay on both brakes to full stop (he shouldn't need to take his foot off the brake at all.. he should be able to put his left foot out as he comes to full stop.. if he's good at it). Have him try to extend his left foot out a second before he comes to full stop.. keep it up in the air extended forward and plant it the moment the bike comes to full stop. Most importantly, watch his head and his eyes. Make sure he doesn't drop his head and keeps looking straight ahead the entire time.

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be sure to have him do a solo pass next time we go out to practice. I guess I should do the same too. I don't really think about stopping, I just...stop.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I try to make conscious effort to work on stopping - both a standard low speed stop like at traffic lights and a an occasional emergency stop. If for no other reason, then I can laugh at the army boys (this is a garrison town) coming to an uncoordinated stop with their right foot shakily hitting the pavement, astride their litre bikes. OR, watching the landing gear come down (always a source for a smile)

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
I try to make conscious effort to work on stopping - both a standard low speed stop like at traffic lights and a an occasional emergency stop. If for no other reason, then I can laugh at the army boys (this is a garrison town) coming to an uncoordinated stop with their right foot shakily hitting the pavement, astride their litre bikes. OR, watching the landing gear come down (always a source for a smile)

Sounds like a good habit to get in to so when it's a "do or die" you'll have the muscle memory down instead of stabbing the front brakes and possibly making the situation worse. It sounds like I've heard this before BRC probably. Why does it just now seem to have its own gravity though? Oh well I guess there's no time like the present to pick up more good habits.

Thanks for the advice

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
seriously? ill never get this obsession with "omfg no won't ride 2 up with a dude"

just don't give him a lame giant hug.