2up practice

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
A good friend of mine (known HIM 10 years) wants me to sit on the back of his bike so he can maneuver around a empty parking lot. I agree he needs practice but I'm not sure about being his b**** LOL !! Would you do it?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hell no! Then again, I'm a control freak and I have a hard enough time getting on a bus.. if I'm not allowed to drive it :rof:

How much solo riding experience does your friend have? Has he taken MSF course?

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
A good friend of mine (known HIM 10 years) wants me to sit on the back of his bike so he can maneuver around a empty parking lot. I agree he needs practice but I'm not sure about being his b**** LOL !! Would you do it?

hahaha, hell no! :Flip:

I agree with Erci, its a psychological thing for sure. Since I sat on a bike for the first time, as the man in control, I wasnt able to get back on the passengers seat. I did it when I was younger, but today, there is no way :thumbup:

If you really value your friendship and he asked reaaally really nicely, I guess you can do him favor for a little while. Just make sure no one sees you and you dont make eye contact while you are doing it :BLAA:

EDIT: Seriously tho, your friend should find a lady to ride with him. I rode with my friend before who is about the same weight as me (170-180lbs) and there was nothing enjoyable about that ride :D while when I ride with my gf who is about 130lbs, I dont feel like I have anyone on the back.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think that your over analysing this.
Can your friend actually ride? If yes and you trust him it's no big deal.
Is he going to ride sensibly? If yes get on the back.

Riding pillion makes you more aware of your own riding technique, its a real skill to shift gears without causing your pillion to bob back wards and forwards. Clutch control and rear brake control are also enhanced.
Why not get him to pillion for you so you can both benefit in a safe environment.

Just gear up.

Nelly

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
If you really value your friendship and he asked reaaally really nicely, I guess you can do him favor for a little while. Just make sure no one sees you and you dont make eye contact while you are doing it :BLAA:

Yea, he'd do anything he could to help me out! We'd probably only spend about 45min or so getting him used to the added weight (200lbs) in slow maneuvers. No eye contact, got it!

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man up and put on dress, some high heels, a pink helmet a go ride with him already..:rolleyes:

What Nelly said makes sense, I wouldn't do it, but it makes sense...

Good Luck!

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that your over analysing this.
Can your friend actually ride? If yes and you trust him it's no big deal.
Is he going to ride sensibly? If yes get on the back.

Nelly

I am going to help him out, I was just wondering what the general response would be.

I guess I didn't mention before but he rides a small Suzuki cruiser since he is only 5'4"

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, he'd do anything he could to help me out! We'd probably only spend about 45min or so getting him used to the added weight (200lbs) in slow manoeuvres. No eye contact, got it!

Just thinking about it it's a bloody good idea. I never even thought to practice with a pillion before I did it. It completely changes the bikes dynamics doesn't it?

2000 miles in that length of time isn't that much experience on two wheels.
A car park is certainly the right place to start.

Nelly:thumbup::thumbup:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad you are "man enough" to not worry about riding as a pillion to help out your friend. He may not have many miles under his belt, but it sounds like he is being sensible about his approach to learning. Kudos to you both!!
My dad has been bugging me to take him for a spin on my bike. Let me know how the training goes, please. I will be curious as to your friend's opinion of having a passenger.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to carry a friend about 10 miles to his truck when he left it at the bar one night. During the trip, I kept yelling at him to hold onto me, not the handles, but he wouldn't do it. We kept clunking helmets together and taking turns really awkwardly because he was floating around so much. It's no fun at all when your passenger doesn't know how to be a passenger.

...and we got a LOT of stares on the way. :D

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Last time I looked at his ODO it was just over 2K miles, he bought it new. We took the BRC together in 9/09.

I wouldn't mind helping him in a parking lot, but I would strongly encourage him not to take a pillion out on the streets. He hasn't got nearly enough miles under his belt to be riding with a passenger yet. It's one thing to have an experienced rider on the back in a lot. It's quite another to put a young woman he wants to impress there, and set him loose in traffic. Many times, that story ends tragically.

Practice away. It can only help. But he needs to start riding regularly before adding a passenger. If he's riding 1,500 miles a year, he's probably forgetting most of what he learns and then relearning that same stuff over again. I believe the guidelines I've read are at least one year and 10,000 miles before taking a passenger.

Best case scenario, he rides a ton more this year and you help each other practice riding two-up, then next year he can try the real thing. I know it's probably not what he wants to hear, but that's what good friends are for. Good luck!

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In a parking lot doing slow manouvers, no problem. I'd do it..., wait, I did with my excess 250 lb Street Skills instructor on the back of mine. Poor baby, she wasn't prepared for all that dead weight.

What I got out of having a pillion on the bike too, before the wife and I did 2 up, was him showing me how his leaning the bike away from a turn would control the handling of the bike. Also the additional weight and how it affects acceleration and braking.

Things to pass on to your prospective pillion are:
- let them know when they can come aboard, typically from the left side, and not until then. That goes for dismounting too.
- tell them to look into the turn and not move the body weight while heading into it.

The rest should be practiced with the pillion of opposite sex....,
- have the pillion use their inner thighs pressed against your sides when braking as to not slide forward on the seat.
- have them hang onto you at your sides, grab bars are probably fine but she's never used them.
- the pillion should be wearng all the gear, no exceptions.
- turn off the headsets so you can't hear their squawking, instead they resort to hitting you on the side to go faster. :eek:

I'm sure there's more....:D

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You will have to look at yourself in the mirror the next day, without a helmet. And you'll have to know that we know you rode 'nut to butt' with another dude! :BLAA:

Seriously though, the theory is a sound one. Low speed maneuvering is arguably one of the hardest skills on a MC to master, and doing it with a heavy pillion will certainly enhance the drills. I agree with some of the previous comments, your buddy needs more kilometers in order to develop the muscle memory required to proficiently ride his bike.

And, there's nothing saying that he can't bribe you for your participation... everybody likes beer, right?? :D

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd much rather have a female passenger - they're typically lighter so have less impact on control, and it feels a lot nicer to have one of them so close to me, but I have no problems with "nut to butt" or "four balls and two wheels." I've gone on anything from a quick ride to the store or a long duration ride with a male passenger, doesn't bother me a bit.

I don't think I'd be a passenger for any of my friends though because I significantly outweigh most of them and not sure how they'd be able to maneuver the added weight.

Mortech

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the only bribe my friend could offer me is the continued use of one of his BMWs until I finally get around to purchase the FZ6 I've been drooling over .

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny thread, as I've only got about 2000miles under my belt ATM.

I also go my g/f all her gear, and I told her I didn't want he to ride until I felt comfortable. Sometime before the end of the season I was gonna ask my roommate if he'd ride 2up so I could practice.

I imagine I get a few thousand more miles in this season, get some practice in, then maybe sometime next season I can feel comfortable with the gf...

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Practicing with a pillion is good practice, regardless of your situation. I plan on never taking a passenger (now that I have a kid, that plan may change when she is old enough to ride with me), but I have piloted with a pillion before and am glad I did it. Bikes handle very differently with 2 people on it.

In addition to practicing riding with a passenger, I believe that every rider should also practice BEING a passenger, as the two require different skills. Besides, who are you to tell someone how to ride behind you if you have never felt what it is like to be completely at the mercy of another person in the same way. Very hypocritical if you ask me.