A full custom rebuild!

mshaffer

Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in a fz6 and a fz600? Are they the same bikes? i have a 1986 fz6 and can't find any parts on ebay but if i put in 1986 fz600 9 pages come up.. just didn't know if they were the same bikes.

thanks

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in a fz6 and a fz600? Are they the same bikes? i have a 1986 fz6 and can't find any parts on ebay but if i put in 1986 fz600 9 pages come up.. just didn't know if they were the same bikes.

thanks

quite a bit different. Yours is closer to the YZF600RR. Ours is half faired and more sit up. Your bike should be a 1986 FZ600S

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site

thanks
Seriously uncool thread hijack man. Your bike is completely different to the one this forum is about! Go here and hang your head in shame!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So...we have all patiently waited months now. We need to know; How does it sound, ride, handle, feel????????????????????????????????????

C'mon!!!!:popcorn:;)

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
I think this is an awesome looking bike as it is, dont get me wrong. But it could be one of sickest looking bikes I have ever seen if you change two things IMO. 1) I would swap that front fender with a plain Black or Carbon Fiber (07+) front fender. The colors will flow better that way since the bottom half of the bike is black. It would also compliment those beautiful golden forks much better than orange IMO. Not a fan of the way you cut the fender to be honest. 2) I would swap the headlight to a smaller, sharper looking headlight. Maybe a streetfighter headlight can be possible using the two projectors that are inside your current headlight. The whole roundness of it, is not flowing with the rest of the bike IMO. You want something small with triangular lines. Anyways, these are the things I would do to it if this was my bike, so no negative criticism intended.

Last edited:

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
So...we have all patiently waited months now. We need to know; How does it sound, ride, handle, feel????????????????????????????????????

C'mon!!!!:popcorn:;)

Don't worry I too have waited patiently for a warm day, which happend last week.:cheer:

Sound: LOUD as f***, I sold the Hamaguchi GP slip-on, so it's just headers, I'll be fitting a Delkevic stubby carbon muffler when I return from Japan, I'll be home June 15th.

Ride: The seat is tilted forward a bit, begging you to tuck in and ride faster, the bars are little wider, so it navigates traffic easier, the seat height is 29 inches, which is perfect for me because I have a 28 inch inseam.

Handle: Sticks to the road like glue, It still has the stock Dunlops! with the shortend wheelbase the turning radius is crazy good, it's like a Buell, it's that good.

Feel: That jerky clutch feeling is gone, acceleration is smooth and quick, all of the weight reduction and the R6s headers really let the bike get up and move, the braking is great, I equipped the R6r brake system with SS lines, EBC pads, and lightweight rotors, its tried to throw me off the bike twice! the R6r master cylinder is way better than the FZ6's. I have the R6r suspension set fairly stiff, it's firm but smooth and responsive, it was definetly worth the trouble of fabricating the rear shock mounts, I have a set of shims installed on the rear shock so I can raise or lower the ride height.

It's not finished, I still have an exhaust to finish, about $300 worth of carbon fiber goodies that still need my "special" treatment, R6s camshafts & YEC adjustable cam gears, and new tires.

I should put up a video, but I don't own video camera, I don't know anyone with a video camera either.

Last edited:

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
What an amazing build! How is it to ride with that swingarm and new geometry? An what about the sound??

If you could post a video or something, that would be great:thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup: Hats off to you for this one!!!! :thumbup:

The $$$$Recent Purchase Thread$$$$ talks of the cams and adjustable gears coming your way. Do you have the specifications for the two different cam profiles? When you swap cams, which ECM stays on the bike? Are the R6 cams a drop in or do they have more lift, lending to different valve springs???

Thanks -
Keep it Up!

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup: Hats off to you for this one!!!! :thumbup:

The $$$$Recent Purchase Thread$$$$ talks of the cams and adjustable gears coming your way. Do you have the specifications for the two different cam profiles? When you swap cams, which ECM stays on the bike? Are the R6 cams a drop in or do they have more lift, lending to different valve springs???

Thanks -
Keep it Up!

I now have the cams & sprockets, their at my parents house in the U.S.A, but I'm in Japan, when I get back over there I'll try to install them.

Sorry I don't have any cam specs, I do know there is a very minor difference in compression, 07' FZ6 12.1-1 05' R6 12.4-1, the R6 without ram air makes 20 more hp on a dyno.

I'll be using the FZ6 ECU with a piggy back fuel controller, I need to talk to a Yamaha shop and find out the flow rate per hour of the R6 injectors versus the FZ6 injectors so I can create a baseline for the new fuel map.

Yes the cams are drop in, yes they have a higher lift, no they don't require different valve springs, the 05' R6 & 07' FZ6 have the same engine and internals, just different cam shafts and throttle bodies.