? about HD Sportster

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK my last view and post on this sad topic... read everything from vstars being easier to work on (I can't remember removing my exhaust to change oil... plus in less than 400 miles, I sold my 2nd vstar 650 for my fz ... cause the 650 quit running......) ...oh and no valve adjustments on those crap harleys, folks..

My nightster had a "ancient primitive" 1200cc motor (twice that of our awesome fz) and still got the same mileage ... plus its a heavy bike. Perfect FI, paint, you name it.

My warrior was a great bike, just like the vstars and roadstar 1600 I had but it didn't have that vibe like the POS nightster gave me :confused:

They make a filter relocator kit for them... hmmm lets see Yamaha is a lil bit more reliable so my bet would be that they made loosen the exhaust up to keep the repair shops in buisness...... And the 650 quit running is so vague its not funny... Thats special!

I dont ever remember calling HD a POS... hmmm Just said I do not feel that they have the bang for the buck thats all... and Harley is a lifestyle they will even tell you that..

Last edited:
S

Shamus McFeeley

You want a motorcycle that was involved in WWI and WWII?

Survived the depression?

You need a Harley Davidson.

HD helped make some of the coolest films like, "Big Trouble In Little China," "Knight Rider TV," "Terminator 2," "The Scarecrow," "Easy Rider" and "The Punisher (The one I liked but nobody else did?)."

Sportbikes are great, but not on the BIG SCREEN man.

Look at this movie:

I tried VERY HARD to like this movie, but it just SUCKED!! There were sportbikes everywhere, so why did it fail? It's because it had NO APPEAL whatsoever.

Check out this movie:

What happened to this movie? There was an AWESOME motorcycle scene near the end!! I liked it, but nobody else did...why??? It's because it had NO APPEAL again (plus a weak story and bull**** stunts).

I think Sportbikes are the coolest vehicles in the world, but they just don't have as much ego as cruisers like Harley or Triumph. Even Vstar has a greater selection of bikes available than YAMAHA sport/street ones.

Look at AMERICAN CHOPPER!! That's one of the biggest shows on TV, yet they're working on CUSTOMS!! Why so popular?? Because it HAS APPEAL.

Have you ever gone camping? Bringing just a tin-pan with a leaky tent and a can of beans? That's awesome. (Look at "Easy Rider!!" That happened HOW MANY TIMES??)

Some people go camping with a giant RV that has more features than my cave I call a home!!

It's more appealing to go camping with a leaky tent than a motorhome.

With that mentality in mind, you can understand why people buy Harley Davidson.

Maybe you should check out adventure bikes if you like camping with motorcycles, I guarentee you will get to much better places with a KLR than a Harley. If money is no object, check out BMW or KTM.

I used to like American Chopper when they were young, now I see that they act like a bunch of spoiled kids. That guy vinnie and rick do all the real work, the rest are too buisy arguing and whining. How many "custom" bikes can you make before it all looks the same. Don't get me wrong, those bikes are one of a kind mostly and a lot of work goes into their production. I think America is more intrested by the flash than the substance, how many of those custom bikes are practical anyway. Harley does what they do good, I wont take that away from them, but you can't really compare them to any other bike than a cruiser. For the money, I think that you get more with Victory bikes personally. Victory seems to know what people want, and they are giving Harley a real run in the showroom.

The biggest problem I have with Harley is the image they try to present, which is what they want you to buy into. The idea that you are not American if you dont buy an "American" made bike. I have many friends with Harleys and they do not understand what I think is the true heart of "moto" because they have bought into this Harley mentality. The true heart of motorcycling is to love the sport, for whatever reason, and it is a sport. Some people like crusiers, some like race replicas, but we all ride on two wheels. We have too many people trying to chip away at our riding rights to waste time fighting amongst ourselves.

That being said, I think the moral is: you can be brand loyal, but don't be ignorant. I may not like Harley, but I can't deny that the passion their owners have for them is any less than what I have for old Hondas.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe you should check out adventure bikes if you like camping with motorcycles, I guarentee you will get to much better places with a KLR than a Harley. If money is no object, check out BMW or KTM.

I used to like American Chopper when they were young, now I see that they act like a bunch of spoiled kids. That guy vinnie and rick do all the real work, the rest are too buisy arguing and whining. How many "custom" bikes can you make before it all looks the same. Don't get me wrong, those bikes are one of a kind mostly and a lot of work goes into their production. I think America is more intrested by the flash than the substance, how many of those custom bikes are practical anyway. Harley does what they do good, I wont take that away from them, but you can't really compare them to any other bike than a cruiser. For the money, I think that you get more with Victory bikes personally. Victory seems to know what people want, and they are giving Harley a real run in the showroom.

The biggest problem I have with Harley is the image they try to present, which is what they want you to buy into. The idea that you are not American if you dont buy an "American" made bike. I have many friends with Harleys and they do not understand what I think is the true heart of "moto" because they have bought into this Harley mentality. The true heart of motorcycling is to love the sport, for whatever reason, and it is a sport. Some people like crusiers, some like race replicas, but we all ride on two wheels. We have too many people trying to chip away at our riding rights to waste time fighting amongst ourselves.

That being said, I think the moral is: you can be brand loyal, but don't be ignorant. I may not like Harley, but I can't deny that the passion their owners have for them is any less than what I have for old Hondas.

yup we all get off on side tangents however the fact of the matter is if its got two wheels and runs thats really all that matters, as long as you like it! Like I tell customers to each their own, It's what YOU want, YOU have to ride it, YOU have to look at it in your garage and most importantly YOU are the one paying on it!

if everyone rode the same bike and drove the same car life would be very boring!!!:thumbup:

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess another question I should have asked in my original post is:

What other bikes are there in the category of the small sporster that you would pick to buy? Some might call this category "entry level cruiser". For clarification purposes I'd like to define my own category which I will arbitrarily call "category xyz" in which I will place the sportster which may or may not be appropriate:

"category xyz" features and characteristics:
-price range: $9433.96 and lower with all accessories etc, because it will then be $10k or lower after 6% sales tax
-medium size frame, not a huge 1600 boat or something, but no gz250 either
-medium size engine, no 1100, but no 600 twin
-craftsmenship and reliability as well as manufacturer support, which in terms of today's market I believe all of the big brands posess (basically no no-name brands like "Bob's Back Yard Bike Creations" with no warranty and few dealerships)
-features available a seasoned rider would appreciate, you decide
-aftermarket features decently available that a seasoned rider would appreciate, once again you decide
-parts are available in the US
-decent fuel economy and range, equal to or greater than 160miles between fill ups during highway crusing

Now, if this magic "category xyz" exists, (which I do not know if it does since I just made it up, and I don't even know if the sportster fits in this category): from your experience what is the bike that you would pick from this category if there are actually bikes that would fit into this category in which I made up out of my butt?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you looked at the Suzuki C50s? My wife is eye-balling one and they look okay to me. They are $6800ish.

Yamaha and Suzuki are my two favorite brands. I don't know much about the Yamaha cruisers however.

Or you could put $6,800 in bad-ass mods into your FZ?!?!?!?

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the shadow line is also a nice line as well as the c50. in that line would be the Vstars. as far as the vulcans the smaller ones feel way to light while riding and I was blown all over the road the shadow spirit is really a nice bike i think it is either a 700 or a 750. smaller framed bike kinda like the vstar custom.. actually a Vstar 1100 custom is a really nice bike! they are:
$8,799 (Candy Red) Available from June 2008; CA model from August 2008
$8,899 (Raven - Midnight Custom) Available from June 2008; CA model from August 2008

Very nice and comfortable ride.
09_VStar1100cu_blk_1_0ef25943.jpg

C50CK8.jpg

Shadow_Spirit_750_(VT750C2).jpg

2008_Kawasaki_Vulcan900_Classic.jpg

Last edited:

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you looked at the Suzuki C50s? My wife is eye-balling one and they look okay to me. They are $6800ish.

Yamaha and Suzuki are my two favorite brands. I don't know much about the Yamaha cruisers however.

Or you could put $6,800 in bad-ass mods into your FZ?!?!?!?

C50's look pretty interesting but I'm not sure they'll quite make the grade in cruising range. I assume you intended that range be taken from full to the START of reserve. 4.1 tank on C50 implies about 3.1 maybe to reserve. So it would have to get about 52 mpg to make the cut. That might be difficult for something with the aerodynamics of a barn door. Other than that it's not a bad choice with FI and shaft drive and a low seating position. Anybody actually have one...?

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm considering buying a cruiser in the near future (definitely the far future) but for me, HD is a hard sell. The main reason...bang for buck, bike for $'s. Same or more than a new Ducati Monster? Speed Triple? I don't mind spending extra for more, but not for less. I was really struck by the 60 mpg rating of teh sportster (claim from HD website) but even if that were true, that wouldn't be worth it.
I like the VRSC Night Rod, but at $17K I think it is about $3000 too dear for the market, if the prices were closer to that of say BMW, HD would meet their sales goals.
Those are also very nice looking bikes but as others have said, you're buying the name moreso than the bike. kinda reminds me of where I go for clothes, Ross...where they have brand names, discounted because they're old...but since i dont buy for the brand names, i look at quality and usually notice that they're made in Pakistan/turkey/bangladesh/ect

I do all my own maintenance because i dont trust low wage, entry level teenagers with my life (no offense, but its teh way it is, even if you take it to a dealer)...and because of this, I have just another reason to return to the FZ6. :cheer: on a local board, they actually made a thread/poll about when i'll sell the R1 :D

F

formula154

Oh well, noting like having a crush on something for a bit.

I actually think they are very, very expensive for what you get. Mild steel tube frame, cheap heavy cast wheels, crappy twin shocks, brakes with only one rotor and caliper up front, only five gears, only one seat on some models, only a speedo, no tach, a cheap swing arm. I just don't see the value in them.

You left out the part about vibration:eek:

F

formula154

It seems that there are people who are pasionate about all kinds of bikes for all kinds of reasons. Ride what ever makes you happy. I guess everyone should decide for themselves if a particular bike is what they want to ride. Find what ever it is you want to ride and the heck if any one else agrees. I like light fast sport bikes. That just leaves more cruisers for the rest of you.
Just one thing, I didn't think a sportster was a cruiser. I thought it was more of a sport bike. It is called a sports ster not a cruiser ster.:thumbup:

githianki

Reaction score
Visit site
You left out the part about vibration:eek:

At idle and parking lot speeds yes....but at highway and cruising speeds. It less buzzy then the FZ....well the rubber mounts anyway. Anything pre 04' is a filling rattler at highway speeds.

Hey formula...what year Dream is that in your avatar?

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another "cruiser" to check out is the Triumph America. Very comfy and unique, not insanely powerful by any means, but snappier than a 883 Sportster. Another fave Triumph is the Sprint ST, very nice bike for $11K and a unique alternative to the FJR.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my "cruiser"
When the cover is on people ask if it's a Harley. lol
I just smile and say "It thinks it is".

gz250_1.JPG
gz250_2.JPG

gz250_3.JPG

F

formula154

(((((((((((With that mentality in mind, you can understand why people buy Harley Davidson.))))))))))))))

I think most people buy them so that they can play like they are part of the Easy Rider life style on their day off. They dress up like like Peter Fonda in "Wild Angles" and spend the week end pretending to be in the wild bunch. I just want to ride. I don't want to get anything going with the Harley lover so I point out that I said MOST PEOPLE not all people.

You want a motorcycle that was involved in WWI and WWII?

Survived the depression?

You need a Harley Davidson.

HD helped make some of the coolest films like, "Big Trouble In Little China," "Knight Rider TV," "Terminator 2," "The Scarecrow," "Easy Rider" and "The Punisher (The one I liked but nobody else did?)."

Sportbikes are great, but not on the BIG SCREEN man.

Look at this movie:

attachment.php

I tried VERY HARD to like this movie, but it just SUCKED!! There were sportbikes everywhere, so why did it fail? It's because it had NO APPEAL whatsoever.

Check out this movie:

858764~Mission-Impossible-2-Video-Release-Posters.jpg

What happened to this movie? There was an AWESOME motorcycle scene near the end!! I liked it, but nobody else did...why??? It's because it had NO APPEAL again (plus a weak story and bull**** stunts).

I think Sportbikes are the coolest vehicles in the world, but they just don't have as much ego as cruisers like Harley or Triumph. Even Vstar has a greater selection of bikes available than YAMAHA sport/street ones.

Look at AMERICAN CHOPPER!! That's one of the biggest shows on TV, yet they're working on CUSTOMS!! Why so popular?? Because it HAS APPEAL.

Have you ever gone camping? Bringing just a tin-pan with a leaky tent and a can of beans? That's awesome. (Look at "Easy Rider!!" That happened HOW MANY TIMES??)

Some people go camping with a giant RV that has more features than my cave I call a home!!

It's more appealing to go camping with a leaky tent than a motorhome.

With that mentality in mind, you can understand why people buy Harley Davidson.

F

formula154

That is a 67 Dream. That is just a pic I found. I never owned it but a 67 Dream was my first ride. Mine was white. I had 3 friends with black Dreams. We had kind of a dream gang going when we were 16. It doesn't look like much now but is sure was fun then. It used to get the ladies too , believe it or not.:thumbup:

At idle and parking lot speeds yes....but at highway and cruising speeds. It less buzzy then the FZ....well the rubber mounts anyway. Anything pre 04' is a filling rattler at highway speeds.

Hey formula...what year Dream is that in your avatar?

githianki

Reaction score
Visit site
That is a 67 Dream. That is just a pic I found. I never owned it but a 67 Dream was my first ride. Mine was white. I had 3 friends with black Dreams. We had kind of a dream gang going when we were 16. It doesn't look like much now but is sure was fun then. It used to get the ladies too , believe it or not.:thumbup:

NICE....I have a 65 I am in the midst of restoring. :rockon: