Add another spring wreck to the list

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
I was on my way home from work took the long way since it was so nice out. Coming back into town a lady made a left turn right in front of me. I hit the breaks locked up the rear she stopped half way in my lane had no option but to turn and lay it down. I missed her car and so did the bike (It would have been much better if the bike hit her more on that later) I was going about 45 (speed limit). The bike slid for awhile didn't hit anything. Frame sliders did there job for the most part. A few scuffs on the passenger grab rails, bent frame slider, pegs and brake lever have scrapes. I am glad she stoped or she would have run me over.

Bike slid about 100 ft I went to pick it up I was pissed at first. It is a good thing she had to walk over so I could cool off (and that she was a girl). She came over made sure I was ok and told me it was all her fault she turned around to talk to her kids and didn't see me at all.

Cops come (I didn't call them a fire marshal was behind me when it happened) starting taking a report found out are vehicles never made contact and said he couldn't take an accident report. I am waiting for the insurance company to call me about what is going to happen. I called them and they even talked to the cop to tell him it is ridicules especially if the lady admits it is her fault. I will find out what they are going to do tomorrow. The best part I just bought the bike in Feb. only had it out for about two weeks third day ridding it to work.

I am fine. little road rash on my knee. Jacket had some nice new war scares, I need new gloves, and should by a new helmet since it did hit the ground.

By the way I had uncaged frame slidersView attachment 3033

View attachment 3034

View attachment 3035

Glad you're ok bro.
Hope you ride with your high beams from now on with super-bright bulbs...it'll help a little.
Keep riding and stay safe.

Good to know you walked away with only a few scratches; but then again so did your bike right? It isn't that all bad :Sport:

Do you have the lady's contact information: Name, addy, license plate no?
You might get a nice insurance check for new mods or maybe a new bike?

Good to hear that you are okay, and that the frame sliders did thier job!

Hope all goes well with the insurance...good luck.

Ben

Yeah, we are both State Farm I hope that helps but I cannot claim it as an accident as far as more agent is concerned it sounds like it is my fault just like I had dropped the bike in the parking lot so who knows what it is going to do to my rates. She seems nice enough that she will pay my deductible. But, if my rates are going to double I can't afford that. I need to stop buying new stuff I hit a deer with my truck two weeks after I bought it.

By the way a fire truck showed up and was amazed at the looks of the bike. He had never seen an FZ6.

Everyone that looked at the bike couldn't belive how much a diffrence the frame sliders made. The one guy asked me where I got them so he could get them for his bike.

Glad to hear a story about a biker down, no one hurt and gear/sliders doing their job! Sorry to hear it happened though!

sorry to hear the accident,,,,frame sliders are really worth investing...i hope you can sort thing out with the insurance company...

By the way a fire truck showed up and was amazed at the looks of the bike. He had never seen an FZ6.

Everyone that looked at the bike couldn't belive how much a diffrence the frame sliders made. The one guy asked me where I got them so he could get them for his bike.

so... where did you get them? which ones are those?

Also glad that all the gear did it's job and protected you and your bike. If her insurance won't cover your bike and gear you can take her to civil court and get reimbursed. is it in the police report that she admitted that it was her fault?

sorry to hear about your get off!!! thats it though, I'm officially giving you the last crash of the year!!!

so... where did you get them? which ones are those?

Also glad that all the gear did it's job and protected you and your bike. If her insurance won't cover your bike and gear you can take her to civil court and get reimbursed. is it in the police report that she admitted that it was her fault?

Yes, it is in the police report, they where uncaged sliders

sorry to hear about your crash - it sounds like the frame sliders really helped save the bike. You don't really need to make contact to have someone else be responsible for a crash. Hopefully, you're insurance company will come through. Most importantly, you are not hurt. A bike is a nice piece of metal and can always be replaced (unfortunately, I know too...).
Dani

I'm curious as to how "Laying it down" helps to avoid accidents. Bikes sliding on plastic and metal parts have a much longer stopping distance than the proper application of full braking power. I suggest you learn how to stop your bike in the shortest possible distance cause "Locking the rear wheel" and "laying it down" is never the best approach to stopping.

Glad you're OK!

For myself spring is a time to sharpen rusty riding skills. Practice low speed riding and practice stopping at various speeds... I'm cautious as tires are cold and their is still lots of crap on the roads and many idiots on the roads who don't see you or give a crap about you...

From MSF...

Emergency Braking
Sometimes you have to stop as quickly as possible. Here are some tips on how to get you and your motorcycle halted pronto:
Apply both brakes to their maximum, just short of locking them up. Practice in an open, good-surfaced place, such as a clean parking lot.Keep the motorcycle upright and traveling in a straight line; and look where you’re going, not where you’ve just been.You don’t want to lock the front brake. If the wheel does chirp, release the brake for a split second, then immediately reapply without locking it up.If your rear wheel locks up, do not release the brake. If your handlebars are straight, you will skid in a straight line, which is all right. You have a more important priority and that is to get stopped! Read on and we will talk more about “skids.”

Braking While Leaned Into a Curve
You should try to avoid this, but sometimes
it might be necessary.
You can brake (with both brakes) while leaned over, but you must do it gradually and with less force than if the bike is standing up straight.
For maximum braking efficiency
in an emergency (when traffic and roadway conditions
permit), stand the bike up straight; brake hard.

Coping With a Skid
A skid - that’s when your heart leaps up to your throat because your wheels have lost traction! You might hit a patch of sand on a mountain curve, or a puddle of oil as you’re slowing for a stoplight. It’s a frightening experience on a motorcycle, but you can handle it.

In a highway-speed, sand-in-the-corner
skid, steer slightly in the direction of the skid. (If you’re leaned to the left and skidding to the right, turn those handlebars a bit towards the right.) Chances are you will clear the patch of sand, the tires will grip the pavement again, the bike will stand up, and you’ll continue on your way.
Should you hit a slippery bit while you’re braking for a stop sign, and one or both wheels lock up, you want to get those wheels rolling right away. Release the brakes for an instant, then reapply a little more gently. You want those tires to have traction.
At higher speeds, when traction is good and the rear wheel skids when braking hard, do not release the rear brake.
If your back end is skidding sideways
because the tire is on a slick spot and simply spinning, ease off on the throttle. A spinning wheel provides no more control than a locked wheel.
You might be in one of those two-mile-per-hour parking lot scenarios, a mild, low-speed skid when your front wheel starts to go out from under you. A foot on the ground may keep the bike upright and the rubber side down. This is not an easy thing to do, and should only be done if all else fails.

Back