Add me to the list- rad fan is out

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
My fan had tripped on @ 200deg reliably since I got the bike. This is a list I didn't want to be on but here we go.

Fan isn't obstructed.
Fuse tests good.
Coolant level is 75% at the reservoir (changed last year.)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My fan had tripped on @ 200deg reliably since I got the bike. This is a list I didn't want to be on but here we go.

Fan isn't obstructed.
Fuse tests good.
Coolant level is 75% at the reservoir (changed last year.)

So does that mean you saw the temp upwards of 215 and no fan came on?
There is a relay that could be suspect still and of course disconnecting the fan and jumping it with straight 12v off the battery is fair test to confirm its OK.

IIRC mine comes on around 204F. Let it sit and idle till it hits 210 and have your gear ready for a quick spin or just shut it off.

One option is to test the relay and also with the relay removed test the bikes harness. Both are possible...

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a relay that could be suspect still and of course disconnecting the fan and jumping it with straight 12v off the battery is fair test to confirm its OK.

IIRC mine comes on around 204F. Let it sit and idle till it hits 210 and have your gear ready for a quick spin or just shut it off.

One option is to test the relay and also with the relay removed test the bikes harness. Both are possible...

Thanks Randy. I removed the plastic guard and topped up the coolant then idled it to 210F where it finally spun up.

Unless I'm going crazy it's just changed its behavior. The fan is now coming on right at 210F and shutting off at 199F. I'm glad that's all it was.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Randy. I removed the plastic guard and topped up the coolant then idled it to 210F where it finally spun up.

Unless I'm going crazy it's just changed its behavior. The fan is now coming on right at 210F and shutting off at 199F. I'm glad that's all it was.

^^ Likely true (getting old & going crazy)... Just chill and have some Pie! I know that works for me! Blah

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Likely true (getting old & going crazy)... Just chill and have some Pie! I know that works for me! Blah

Thx again. Since I've unmounted the rad I might as well change the spark plugs and try your trick with the caps.

Lots of vibes through the bar compared to last year- unless I'm again, going crazy.. :D

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I was thinking about an import (VW Scirocco) that I owned a number of years back when I had trouble with the fan sensor that would act up and not trigger the fan startup. After replacing the sensor a couple of times I ending up running the switch wires to the relay through the firewall so I could start the fan manually if need be. So I have been looking through the SM, but did not see anything. I searched Partzilla and found a poor diagram that identified a thermosenser maybe located on the backside of the engine. Does this start the fan or I am missing another sensor in the cooling system? :confused:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about an import (VW Scirocco) that I owned a number of years back when I had trouble with the fan sensor that would act up and not trigger the fan startup. After replacing the sensor a couple of times I ending up running the switch wires to the relay through the firewall so I could start the fan manually if need be. So I have been looking through the SM, but did not see anything. I searched Partzilla and found a poor diagram that identified a thermosenser maybe located on the backside of the engine. Does this start the fan or I am missing another sensor in the cooling system? :confused:

Your on the right track. Back of engine, to ECM, ECM to relay, relay to fan motor. Although i do have to admit im wingin it. But im pretty sure thats the path. Its in the FSM. Sometime when on the win7 box I'll look and confirm.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick question, are you guys seeing your actual temps on your dash ? Or you know that 4 bars is 210, and fan should be coming on,

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
My 2008 came on around 210-214. That isn't a high temp. Even cars will run up to 220-225 before kicking on. I have worked on many rides where people thinks it's getting hot but the gauge is off... I had a customer call me a liar when I showed her that the fan kicked on at these temps VIA a 4500$ snap on scan tool. Hers was going 3/4 on the gauge.

Them:" Can you rig me up a constant hot?"
Me:"there isn't anything wrong with what it's doing"
Them:"look at the gauge!!!"
Me: "look at the for real temp!"
Them:"whatever, if it gets hot and blows a gasket, I guess you can replace my engine for free"
Me:"nope"

Your coolant just may need replacing. Antifreeze not only has a lower freezing temp as water, but also has a higher boiling point.

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
It may sound daft but what is the temp gauge on the '06 measuring? I've heard it's exhaust air temp, and I've also heard it's coolant temp. I assume it's the later. And what do the blobs correspond to and how many blobs should I get for the fan to kick in? I know the fan worked when I first got it in October. Then I've been at 2 blobs constantly all winter. Now the weather's warming up, I'm getting a little worried I've not seen anything from the fan. But I've not hit four blobs on the gauge yet, and I can't remember what gauge reading was activating the fan before winter.

Cheers for clarifying for me.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk