Adventure bikes are for wimps! (FZ6 dirt and gravel thread)

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
just because everyone else is doing it :BLAA:

this one is at my mothers, i had to stand the whole way it was so bumpy
dd548377.jpg

a4299f5f.jpg

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
finally got around to it, really not as scary as I was expecting....got the rear end loose playing around on some turns, thank goodness for my amazing core strength, lol it was a bit fun muscling it around!! :D
definitely doing that again!

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya got that right!
I dun tried learn'in my friend how ta ride dirt on his Wee Strom. He ended up throw'in his ADV bike down the (dirt) road :squid: and I had no problems sport'in Pilot Powers! :rockon: Here The crash is up 'round 13 minutes, I'm ahead with the stylish yellow helmet. :rof:
Proof FZ's rock the dirt. :BLAA:

tenracing

Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are nuts, the picture of the fz6 stuck in mud-crossing rivers on it . KUDOS. Ive taken it on dirt roads before but thats nothing I would never travel where I would take my ADV bike. Funny story tho, I took my wife on a 900 mile adventure ride had that baby to nowheresville then I asked her to marry me. I guess its in are blood right ?

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
"I wish I had time that morning to change tire pressure and preload. Running luggage all weekend I had preload maxed and the tires at 36/40, not the best for gravel. That being said, the FZ6 does just fine on gravel. Keep it around 30 on the loose marbly stuff, and as fast as you want on the good hardpack."
I have to agree that these bikes are remarkably stable on gravel roads. (Something which really surprised me at first) I would much rather ride on gravel than wet pavement or melted slippery hot tar roads.
Thanks for the pics!

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
On my recent utah trip (which there will be an article on in Rider magazine in the coming months, more on that later), I traded off with my dad's 2013 SuperTen with full hardcases, and every crash bar, skidplate, etc you can buy for it. Well he's old and not as young and able as me so At first i was intimidated to ride his baby. I Took my FZ on some gravel roads no problem, but when i switched bikes with him I was offroading at the firstt chance I got. You Definitely don't NEED an adv bike to hit some dirt/gravel roads, but running into potholes, plants, ditches, etc its really nice having a big powerful bike to power your way through ANYTHING. granted, its also an awesome road bike that is surprising easy to lean and ride like a sport bike even fully loaded. Never ridden a BMW, but don't think i'll ever need to as I"ll be inheriting the Tenere. I'm actuallly not allowed to post anymore pics from the trip due to contract violation with Rider magazine, but its one sick bike. Would love to turn an fz into a semi adv bike though, I love the bike so much I don't foresee getting rid of it only adding to the stable. If I found a well priced fz1 I might think about it, but honestly the 6 is everything i need and more.