Adventure bikes are for wimps! (FZ6 dirt and gravel thread)

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...it really handles gravel just fine as it is, once you get used to that loose feeling.

I do a little gravel-roading on mostly flat terrain now an then. It does feel dodgy but keep your weight in the right place and all is well. After renting an an adventure bike and doing about a quarter mile up a graveled hill on it, I'd prefer that feeling if I had to do it for any real distance. Do you use different tires?

Dan E

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done some mild dirt road riding, and once got in way over my head on a very knarley road....but got thru it just fine. It was a hot day and the engine got a little warm riding at such a slow speed. I have 32,000 miles on her now and am considering rebuilding the front forks with new heavier springs and Ricor valves, possibly a fork brace and on the rear an Ohlins rear shock. I would think I could do alot more dirt roads on her then ? Not sure what to do about the engine heat however. Kinda battling putting money into the bike at this time as there is not much value now, even though I know there are alot of miles yet to be had on her. BUT, compared to buying a new bike, the suspension upgrades are quite cheep and I might get a few more years and more dirt roads out of it ?

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
Suspension would be too much bother.

I'd just weld on a bash plate for cheap and throw on some supermoto tires and be done with it. That way you can revert it to a sportbike without much trouble. If you're going to go all out it'd be easier to just buy a drz.

You mean like this bash plate I fabricated for mine:

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
Sand and gravel roads are no big deal on my FZ6. :thumbup:
IMAG0508.jpg

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
im so inspired
yet I still HATE the idea of laying her down :scared: I can hang any car or truck sideways on dirt, snow, gravel, or asphalt with no probs.:thumbup:
just dont want my bike on her side:(

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Putting on some Pirelli Scorpions for this summers ride is sounding more appealing to me. I want to explore some places in Colorado that I've seen on a map and some other places. Looks like a lot more to see and experience on the dirt tracks.

I've done a couple of gravel roads and the clearance between the front fender and the tire concerns me. Might have to find a way to raise that up some and maybe extend the fender a little. The "bash plate" bolted to the exhaust looks easy enough.

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
Putting on some Pirelli Scorpions for this summers ride is sounding more appealing to me. I want to explore some places in Colorado that I've seen on a map and some other places. Looks like a lot more to see and experience on the dirt tracks.

I've done a couple of gravel roads and the clearance between the front fender and the tire concerns me. Might have to find a way to raise that up some and maybe extend the fender a little. The "bash plate" bolted to the exhaust looks easy enough.

I strongly considered a set of Scorpion Trails last tire change but went with Michelin PR2s instead. If you go with the Scorpions or figure out how to tastefully raise the front fender, please post some pics. I may follow suit. I'd like to see an FZ6 with a BMW GS-style "beak" fender! That'd kick ASS! :rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like many of my attachments disappeared in one of the server crashes, but I do have this one of FZ1 uploaded to external site :D

mud2z.jpg

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site

remn

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad I found this thread. I'm planning on buying either an FZ6 or a V-Strom 650 within the next few months. I've narrowed it down to these 2 as the best all-arounders for my purposes, which include commuting, long trips, some occasional track riding, and some light off-roading (mostly as part of the long trips).

I generally prefer the FZ6 in every way but I'm wondering how much of an advantage the V-strom would have over it for dirt and gravel. Among dual-sports the V-strom is not considered one of the best for off-roading, due to its top-heaviness and weight--but it has a huge advantage over other dual sports for highway riding, which is crucial for me. Considering that the FZ6 is a bit lighter than the V-Strom, I wonder how close it could come to it in handling dirt and gravel. The Strom doesn't seem to have much of an advantage in ground clearance, but that's just judging from pics.

Anyone out there with experience with both these bikes who could compare their (light) off-road capabilities?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad I found this thread. I'm planning on buying either an FZ6 or a V-Strom 650 within the next few months. I've narrowed it down to these 2 as the best all-arounders for my purposes, which include commuting, long trips, some occasional track riding, and some light off-roading (mostly as part of the long trips).

I generally prefer the FZ6 in every way but I'm wondering how much of an advantage the V-strom would have over it for dirt and gravel. Among dual-sports the V-strom is not considered one of the best for off-roading, due to its top-heaviness and weight--but it has a huge advantage over other dual sports for highway riding, which is crucial for me. Considering that the FZ6 is a bit lighter than the V-Strom, I wonder how close it could come to it in handling dirt and gravel. The Strom doesn't seem to have much of an advantage in ground clearance, but that's just judging from pics.

Anyone out there with experience with both these bikes who could compare their (light) off-road capabilities?

One thing to consider is the wheel size and what tire choices you have.
The vstrom has a 19" tire so that opens you up to more dirt or trail oriented tires.
The large r1200gs and f650gs (twin) bike have those size wheels, for example, and there's a big enough market for that tire size.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The Strom doesn't seem to have much of an advantage in ground clearance, but that's just judging from pics.

Are you talking about the DL1000 or 650?

My main riding buddy had a DL1000 for quite some time. The FZ6 will corner better on the street and pretty much do everything better than the strom except deliver low end vtwin grunt (especially the 1000), provide more highway comfort than you really need, and handle smooth to somewhat bumpy dirt roads without too much concern (and I'm talking about at pace, not crawling through all slow).

THere is no reason to go any more dirt than the FZ6 if all you are going to do is hit the occasional graded gravel or dirt road for 40 miles in the middle of a 1000 mile trip, but if you're goiing to do weekends of dirt, want to do dirt roads that are on the rougher side without tip toeing through, but your focus is still mianly on the street, then go with the strom.

And +1 on front wheel size...your tire selection will vary greatly.

remn

Reaction score
Visit site
I did mean the DL650, not looking for a liter bike. Thanks for the replies, it looks like the FZ6 is still at the top of my list. I guess I'll put on the Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires if I'm planning on riding on gravel.

tonymorr

Reaction score
Visit site
I did mean the DL650, not looking for a liter bike. Thanks for the replies, it looks like the FZ6 is still at the top of my list. I guess I'll put on the Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires if I'm planning on riding on gravel.

I put Scoprion Trails on my NT700V and thought they worked pretty damn good on dirt roads. I'm thinking about putting them on my FZ as well.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site

I too wuz look'in fer a dirt bike. I have an FJR for LD riding, and I did a few hundred mi of dirt roads on it last year. The WeeStrom might be nice if it were my only bike, but it's a pig, and I already got 1 of them in the FJR.
My choice wuz between the Kawasaki Versys or FZ6, and the FZ won out just cuz there's more of 'em to choose from, so they'z cheaper. I highly recommend looking at the Versys.
Took my little FZ to the dirt the 2nd day I got it, and it met my expectations. (Even with Pilot Powers; can't wait ta get sum dirt tires on her.) :cheer:

IMG_0999___2.jpg

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To each their own but to me this is as ridiculous as someone taking a BMW X5 off road... Would imagine you would also have much more excessive chain wear.. Also what are you going to do if you hit a rock and crack your rim? slice your tire? hit a tree?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Would imagine you would also have much more excessive chain wear.. Also what are you going to do if you hit a rock and crack your rim? slice your tire? hit a tree?

Why do you think the chain would wear more? And the fz6 wheels are pretty strong to begin with I've ran over the same pot whole on it that someone else on a strom did and guess who's rim got bent... Not the 6 but the dual sports, it wasn't bad but it still bent it. And you can slice a tire or hit a tree on any bike not sure where your going with that? For just dirt roads the fz is plenty capable, if I wanted to go hit some trails along the way I'd be taking my ktm enduro lc4