Afraid my fuel pump may be dying

sweetjimmy

Reaction score
Visit site
I was hoping to get an opinion from anyone good enough to give one. I bought a used 08 last year and about six months later, the ignition/fuel injection sequence began to sound strange. The normal sound of the fuel pump became noisier and sometimes even fluctuated in tone. My first FZ6 was an 04 and it sounded exactly like the 08 sounded when I first purchased it: upon turning the key in the ignition I heard what almost sounded like an electronic hum that lasted a few seconds. Now it's more of like a water balloon being filled up, and it seems slightly delayed.

Here's a video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rciJB-948Kk]08 FZ6 noisy fuel pump on ignition. - YouTube[/ame]

I also have an infrequent problem that may or may not be related. Occasionally, when I come to a complete stop, the bike dies. It does not happen often. Perhaps once in the last two months. But it's probably happened to me a total of four or five times. She starts right back up. It has only ever died on me in that situation: once I've come to a complete stop and have let completely off the throttle.

I'm dreading having to purchase a new fuel pump. It would probably mean I'm done riding for the rest of the season, considering the price tag I've seen around the web.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hard to tell from the short clip but if it doesn't build pressure and stop, its either leaking internally or the filter is limiting fuel to the pump.

There is another thread in the electrical section about failed pump. Before laying it to rest tho with care and patients the filter can be cleaned and the pressure regulator freed should it have something stuck in the valve.

Before going into anymore detail, has tis been bike been stored for prolonged times, maybe has rust in the tank?

If either of those are true, I'd opt for running it out of gas, remove the tank, drain it thoroughly and remove the fuel pump. Now you can clean the tank and inspect the filter & pump assembly. Does this seem within your means?

Do some searching and reading, let us know if this is an option. If it isn't, a shop is not likely to clean the tank well or fix a dirty pump. They replace and move on sending you the bill that puts you out for the season.

Also, don't hesitate to have member give you hand. Someone may be up for it.

Good luck!

sweetjimmy

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked it up in Feb of 2012 and i haven't let it sit for more than a month or two through last winter. Even then I was starting it up every couple weeks to let it idle for a bit. It's anybody's guess how the previous owner treated it, but at four years old, the bike had 8k miles on it, so I don't think it was sitting in a garage for the whole time.

But who's to say unless I open it up and take a look?

I'm no mechanic by any stretch, but I may take a crack at pulling the tank apart if it saves me $500 plus labor. Thank you for all the suggestions, it is really appreciated.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some pic's of the pump, how to release the tab to remove it, the filter inside, etc. The link, post #27, shows where the regulator is:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-electrical/49870-bike-wont-start-after-crash-3.html

How to remove the pump:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/16913-how-do-you-get-fuel-pump-out.html

The fuel filter is NOT replacable but you may be able to clean any debris from it. If the tanks rusted up, I also have a link to de-rust it with electrolysis.

The pic with the orange arrows show the releases that disconnecte the fuel level gauge from the pump for removal from the tank (for re-assembly, it can go back in as one unit..

Last edited:

sweetjimmy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you, Townsends. I spotted that thread yesterday and bookmarked it, but now all the images are in one spot. Very helpful!