After high RPM dies (video inside)

Fidelio

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Gurus,
I bought a 2008 fz6 with 11,800mi (19000 km) now it has 13,170mi (21200 km)
Recently my battery died, the mechanics recommendation was change it an also changed stator and the regulator assy .

But now, a strange situation comes in, when riding and suddenly stop accelerating the bike stops

just arriving home with hot engine
[video=youtube;4cUBemquRBM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cUBemquRBM[/video]

cold engine
[video=youtube;9VJrIb76YLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VJrIb76YLI[/video]

help please :confused:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a fuel related issue...

How old is the fuel in the tank and did you purchase fuel from somewhere different than normal??? If the fuel IS OLD (more than a couple of months) and was stabilizer used?

For that cold hesitation, and possibly the stalling, Besides the above mentioned questions, I would run some "Yamaha RingFree" on the heavy side.It sounds if there's some injectors crapped up. The RF, a couple of tanks, should help, and possibly eliminate it. I run it in every tank (and every gas powered machine I own (extremely popular in the marine world). Besides cleaning the fuel system, it also cleans the top end. IME, EXCELLENT PRODUCT...

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/ring-free-plus?b=Search&d=34

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you rev it slowly does pull into upper RPMs when riding?
Did you do anything else while the battery was out like open the airbox or unseat the air box? Any chance a rag or something was injested into the air box restricting air flow?

It certainly could be a fuel issue.

Fidelio

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a fuel related issue...

How old is the fuel in the tank and did you purchase fuel from somewhere different than normal??? If the fuel IS OLD (more than a couple of months) and was stabilizer used?

For that cold hesitation, and possibly the stalling, Besides the above mentioned questions, I would run some "Yamaha RingFree" on the heavy side.It sounds if there's some injectors crapped up. The RF, a couple of tanks, should help, and possibly eliminate it. I run it in every tank (and every gas powered machine I own (extremely popular in the marine world). Besides cleaning the fuel system, it also cleans the top end. IME, EXCELLENT PRODUCT...

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/ring-free-plus?b=Search&d=34

the fuel has been always new since I bought the bike. I always use premium fuel (93 octane in Mexico). I will ask for this RF product , never heard of it before :thumbup:

If you rev it slowly does pull into upper RPMs when riding?
Did you do anything else while the battery was out like open the airbox or unseat the air box? Any chance a rag or something was injested into the air box restricting air flow?

It certainly could be a fuel issue.

yes
nope
good question, I'll check if everything is ok with the air filter. Do you recommend to use the bike without the filter for testing purposes?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as your filter is halfways clean, it'd be fine, if your just sitting there, doing the rev thing.

If you have an air compressor you can blow backwards(against the air flow to help blow any crap out, or tap on the ground to dislodge any big particles).

The filter would have to be about pretty da.n clogged up to affect the bike that way.

I would NOT drive around town without a filter installed...

The air filter fits pretty tight in the housing. A little bit of grease on the edges makes in much easier to install.

While the tank is up, check any hoses around the throttle bodies.

Search for throttle body syncing here. There's two hoses that runs down each side of the TB's to do a throttle body sync. One on each side will have a pink stripe. One member just had TWO of these hoses split (should be capped to) causing a major vacuum leak for two cylinders.

PM sent re those hoses...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
These....
attachment.php

Fuel quality could be an issue too.
How old/how many miles on the spark plugs?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
The things I could think of and search and found are:

+1 for sparks ^^
1. Bad fuel ^^
2. Check your electricals, maybe the side stand or engine kill switch have some bad connections and due to vibrations, they are going short at high rpms.
3. Silly one, check your air filter, I know ours is not a dirt bike, but we don't know the age of the bike and its filter.(just saw Scott mentioned it too, not silly point anymore :))
or
4. Fuel delivery issue.

Does it effect your riding? Does it stall in the middle of your journey?

Last edited:

Fidelio

Reaction score
Visit site
These....
attachment.php

Fuel quality could be an issue too.
How old/how many miles on the spark plugs?

spark plugs are basically new, 2000 miles

The things I could think of and search and found are:

+1 for sparks ^^
1. Bad fuel ^^
2. Check your electricals, maybe the side stand or engine kill switch have some bad connections and due to vibrations, they are going short at high rpms.
3. Silly one, check your air filter, I know ours is not a dirt bike, but we don't know the age of the bike and its filter.(just saw Scott mentioned it too, not silly point anymore :))
or
4. Fuel delivery issue.

Does it effect your riding? Does it stall in the middle of your journey?

not really, but I'm always afraid of engine turns off when I stop accelerate

Two new things. I stopped using the bike for one month (february 2016) for holidays and the battery died again (battery is original and has 1500 miles)

When I turn on the emergency turn signals, I notice how the headlight bulb low his intensity :don'tknow:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pull the battery, fully charge it and get it load tested. It should 't die in a month just sitting.

More likely, you have something draining it down.

All your symptoms of a very weak battery. Besides turning your Idle up to about 1,300 (operating temp), check and see what voltages your getting at the battery.

A fully charged battery is about 12.8 volts. Once running, you should see between 13-14 volts and no, it doesn't have to be at 5K RPMs for those voltages (2-3K RPM's should produce that). Actually, anything above 13 your NOT RUNNING OFF THE BATTERY.

**The engine needs the voltage/ good battery to operate the ECU, fuel injection,ignition, etc. If its low, things start acting up, (your lights for instance), and not working correctly or at all... Sit at a light long, the fan kicks in, more draw off the battery.....Etc..

Fidelio

Reaction score
Visit site
Updating this case finally found the solution

the main problem was...TPS

20161109-234832Yamaha-FZ-6--SHOP-Manual-07091478756941.png

IMG201611082336001478723368.jpg

but also there were a lot of bad things here.

Bad spray of the injectors

inyec1478723388.jpg

IMG20160919WA00081478723516.jpg

I changed the 4 sparks because it was using a wrong code (cr10ek) and one was burnt :don'tknow:
Replaced by Iridium NGK

s-l300.jpg

and finally it was using a car fuel pump so I put a new one :don'tknow:
replaced by this one -> Yamaha Direct Fit EFI Fuel Pump FZ R1 R6 Road Star YZF750R YZF650 1994-2015 NEW | eBay

IMG20160319WA00021478724028.jpg

Thanks to all :rockon: