Airhawk R review

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I got an Airhawk R because my commute (30 miles, 40-70 minutes each way, average 55 minutes) is really starting to get to me. My primary issues are groin, and general butt discomfort. Back/tailbone are OK. I'm 6'1", 160 lbs.

Here’s my initial review (<50 miles). It’s good and bad. Awesome and awful, actually.

It’s truly amazing on the posterior. My bony butt and the boys are much happier when cruising. I found myself not standing for small, harsh bumps and my back and backside didn’t mind at all. The airflow is great and contributes to the experience. The good section may be short, but it definitely is sweet.

It does raise the seating position so I’m now just barely able to flat foot. That’s minor though. The other downsides to the raised position are more wind over the screen and more pressure on the upper body. I just recently changed to FZ1 bars because the stock ones have a bend that cause wrist pain/numbness. Well, that numbness is back with a vengeance. Really leaning forward now and holding a lot of weight on the wrists.

Then there’s the squishiness that people talk about. Hard acceleration even in 3rd pushes (more like pivots) me back. 2nd and 1st gear twists are just about dangerous. Any braking has to be countered with strong legs and arms to avoid being thrown/pivoted into the tank. I certainly wouldn’t want this to carve, but it could always be removed. The problem is, for my commute... lots of start/stops = lots of weight on the wrists or lots of trips to the tank.

It’s also an ugly addition. Another, albeit minor, negative.

I have it set now so that my butt bones are hitting the seat... maybe a 1/4” into the seat. The more I lower it, however, the less effective it becomes on cushioning my bottom.

I might ride down to the shore tonight (85 miles, 1 hr 45 min). Will continue to tweak the air and see if it’s for me. As it stands right now though... I’m looking to make use of the return policy. For someone who does a lot of trips or has back/butt/groin issues, this WILL help, but you have to weigh the downsides.

WTB: TS seat?

norcalwelder

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got one myself, and I have to agree with your review. I bought one right after a 2000 mile trip because my butt was in agony during the last day or two of the trip. I think for the longer trips, it will py off. For around town, I will leave it off I think.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the review, Mike. Good insights. :thumbup:

Last weekend I was on the BamBam tour of Virginia and West Virgina, and he let me try out his Airhawk R for a couple of hours through the twisties on Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway.

My bony backside was killin' me prior, so when I sat on the Airhawk I felt like I was sitting on a cloud. There definitely is some compensation that must be made by your legs/hands/feet when braking or tight cornering to avoid slipping around too much, but I felt like it was well worth it. And as for the extra height, I didn't really notice it/didn't affect me. My only regret was giving it back to him when we stopped for the night in Buena Vista, VA.

For shorter rides, I'd say two hours or less, I would go without it. But anything longer, especially slab riding for 450 miles like we did on the way home, I would recommend it wholeheartedly. I ordered one from Amazon last night in fact, $135 with free shipping. Cheaper than a TS seat, and I can get away with just the stock seat for shorter rides.