Airhawk R vs New Seat?

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
So with the weather getting nicer, I've gotten more seat time. Unfortunately, my stock 2007 seat is horrible, and everything is sore and/or numb in less than an hour. There's so much pressure on everything when I sit, I don't see myself being willing to ride too far since the discomfort sets in so quickly.

I don't want to spend a ton of money on a seat. I was looking at an Airhawk 2 or a Saddlemen Tech pad for around $100. Then I saw all the good reviews on the Airhawk R, but at around $170 I wanted to do more research.

Since the Airhawk R is pushing 200 bucks, would I be better off waiting for a new complete seat instead? I would prefer the seat to be more flat and not angled forward, but I can deal with the forward angle as long as I'm comfortable otherwise, which is why i'm even considering a pad over a seat.

I would prefer spending closer to $100, but if the R or a full seat is really THAT much better, I may have to bite the bullet and just spend more money. My overall goal is to enjoy longer rides more, and be able to still feel everything between my legs after a ride.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I have airhawk 2 and use it for long rides. Sure better than stock seat. You need to learn what volume of air is good for you. Not to over or under inflate it. Got it for about 85$. I look at it as a temp solution.
It adds to the seat hight and not waterproof.
Sure an aftermarket seat ($350-$500) is better, but if on a budget, that can be a quick fix.

mike_v

Reaction score
Visit site
You could do the Spencer seat mod. It really helped when I had it done. The worst part is waiting due to shipping.
Flash Intro Page is his website.

If you wanted to ride out my way you could try it.

durty3

2004 Yamaha FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode up to WI last weekend and my Corbin seat killed my behind. It came with my 04 when I bought it used. Just a thought...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of riding do you mostly do? Touring, the Airhawk might be a good option, but if you attack the twisties and move around on the seat a lot, it might be best to save up your nickels and get a better seat.
I have a Top Sellerie and am happy with it.

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of riding do you mostly do? Touring, the Airhawk might be a good option, but if you attack the twisties and move around on the seat a lot, it might be best to save up your nickels and get a better seat.
I have a Top Sellerie and am happy with it.

Honestly, I just cruise around and enjoy nice weather. Commuting to work here and there, and the rest is just joy rides to clear my head. I will never be tracking the bike or getting too aggressive with it. I definitely like the cost of a pad over a seat, but the seat is always on and definitely looks better.

For now, I ordered a Saddlemen Tech Gel/foam pad to see if that helps. Hopefully it'll do the trick and I won't have to spend $250+ on a new seat. I'll see how I feel after a couple rides on the saddlemen, and then I may continue to watch the For Sale section if it doesn't make much difference.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
You may want to consider the path I took, in carving my own seat.

Bought a $25 spare from FleaBay, popped off the cover and starting slicing away. Put the seat on, gauged the fit, carved some more, repeat. Ended up removing a good bit from the sides up front and "cupping" my rear better to spread the contact points and give me a lot more agility on the bike. Saves me from sliding forward under hard braking and doesn't splay out my legs as before. Net result was a slight lowering of the seat as well which helped my reach to the ground a bit.

Ended up with a very comfortable seat built specifically for me. I've spent many, many hours in the saddle in the mountains, on highways, in aggressive track-mode and relaxed riding as well.

Really worked well for me. Some have chosen to replace the padding while in there, I kept the stock padding for durability.

Last edited: