All round tyres required

adamyorkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone any experience of Michelin Road Pilot 3 or Pirelli Angel ST and can recommend either or another good alternative for an all year round tyre?

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I'm on PR4's which were great all summer, autumn and still great now. 5000 mixed miles and no serious wear yet, my previous battlaxes were dead at 6.5k (and crap on dirty roads)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a life long Michelin fan. They simply outlast the competition and they have better treat grove design for wet weather and resisting cupping.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ever since I replaced my stock tires due to wear, I have exclusively run on Michellin's. I've been happy with the performance as well as the life, so why change.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Currently on my 3rd or 4th set or PR3's. Bought a new CBR600RR with Dunlop Qualifiers. It was December of 2012 and by March I had PR3's on it!!! The PR3's work great in wet, dry, hot and cold. They have stuck well from 24 F to 100F, in the wet and in the dry. Maybe not as fast as some tires in the hot and dry but for all year all weather they are the best in my book. Ran two PR2's and one PR3 on the FZ6 (sold with 45,000 miles on it). Have about 10,000 miles on the PR3's and the rear is looking a little thin in the center but will go a while. Front is good, will replace with PR4's. I don't do track days but ride year round and in all weather conditions. My CBR is 2 years old and has over 12,000 miles on it! I have had them all the way over (maybe it was an oops on my part which is why I try to ride at less than max) and they were there for me.

Don't know about the Angels - my feel is they are close to the PR3 or PR4 but not quite as good - close enough that either would be fine.

Sorry for not translating miles into KM or degrees F into degrees C but my brain is tired.

Ultrarandom

Reaction score
Visit site
Recently got some PR3s on my bike all round after taking some old Metzeler M3s off (long overdue :spank: ). Have only just worn them in but so far they have been absolutely amazing in both dry and wet. Chose these largely due to their wet weather ability and long life over the reviews I'd seen of the Angel GTs.
Was originally looking at Pilot Powers but was advised to go for these instead due to my bike being a daily driver.

adamyorkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Would be keen to hear some angel ST opinions as 40quid cheaper than the RP3 for the pair

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
25000 miles done on 5 sets of Dunlop RoadSmarts with around 5000 miles per pair and never had any issues riding all year around, more than enough grip in the cold and wet. At the last change I decided to try Dunlop Roadsmart 2, and they are definitely lasting longer and perform the same if not better than the original RoadSmarts.
I ride all year in all weather's so wet performance is my main concern.

petergreko

limits are for suckers
Reaction score
Visit site
I have just replaced my pilot powers with PR3 and PR4 (basically got the the 3 for a steal so I had to do it). Only about a thousand on it so I'll have to get back to you. The powers did me good, but really no wet weather here in SoCal. After I put a few thousand more I will update. So far so good.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
/de-rail

Just my warped humor but, "All round tyres required" should perform far better than "All square tyres".. .. .. Blah

/end-de-rail
With everyone here on the PR bandwagon, how do they do in the turns? i.e. turn in/fall in? Are they predictable? All I see is "good traction and lots of miles!"

How do they perform in the other areas? Thanks in advance!

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
/de-rail

Just my warped humor but, "All round tyres required" should perform far better than "All square tyres".. .. .. Blah

/end-de-rail
With everyone here on the PR bandwagon, how do they do in the turns? i.e. turn in/fall in? Are they predictable? All I see is "good traction and lots of miles!"

I run PR2's, haven't had anything else really to compare them to. They drop into the turns effortlessly, great traction throughout even when leaning enough to scrape a peg. Simply awesome tires.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

I haven't mounted my PR3's yet but the construction and profile looks identical to the Pilot Power 2CT's they are replacing the those tires were the best tires I've ever run. They felt great from new till 6,300 miles and still feel ok but not enough tread left for my liking. I rode on the Michelins at 20F outside and there was no noticeable loss of grip when riding normally.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm from the Battlax crowd and haven't ran anything else. ^^ Same - about ~ 7000 miles from sport tires and they're done. The BT016-Pro's are like a glue stick of street tires but Chip-Tar roads just destroy them. I equate them to the "point and shoot" of tires. Great feed back, but not too much. They have steel and nylon belts if anyone is looking. PR's have steel belts?

I love how they handle, perform, turn-in, stop, transition - all of that. So I'm greedy and want that and more miles before replacement. Rear is shot (an 023). Maybe I'll switch teams....

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm from the Battlax crowd and haven't ran anything else. ^^ Same - about ~ 7000 miles from sport tires and they're done. The BT016-Pro's are like a glue stick of street tires but Chip-Tar roads just destroy them. I equate them to the "point and shoot" of tires. Great feed back, but not too much. They have steel and nylon belts if anyone is looking. PR's have steel belts?

I love how they handle, perform, turn-in, stop, transition - all of that. So I'm greedy and want that and more miles before replacement. Rear is shot (an 023). Maybe I'll switch teams....

I had BT016's before swapping to Michelins. I only got 4,500 out of the BT's! I do ride a lot of tar and chip asphalt. The BT's did feel great leaned over but so do the Michelins. If the Roads will give me 8,000+ miles they are well worth the slight bump in price point.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had BT016's before swapping to Michelins. I only got 4,500 out of the BT's! I do ride a lot of tar and chip asphalt. The BT's did feel great leaned over but so do the Michelins. If the Roads will give me 8,000+ miles they are well worth the slight bump in price point.

Fronts - 6500, rear 4500. Fronts loose the side and turn to needles (think pointy triangle shape tire) and the rear blows the center. I'm hard on the nose with brakes into the corner tho.

Rep - point for ya. Giving a direct cross over from BA to PR!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Fronts - 6500, rear 4500. Fronts loose the side and turn to needles (think pointy triangle shape tire) and the rear blows the center. I'm hard on the nose with brakes into the corner tho.

Rep - point for ya. Giving a direct cross over from BA to PR!

Thanks for the rep. What you described is exactly how the BT016's wore for me as well. Front wore out the sides and the rear flat spotted in the center worse than any other tire I've run. My front tire was also toast at 4500 miles but 90% of my riding is curvy roads so they get a lot of side wear.

petergreko

limits are for suckers
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point FinalImpact.

Yes it seems we're drinking the kool aid, but based on the Pilot Power 2CTs that I changed from, they were plenty sticky. I would push them to the point of almost scraping pegs and I never had a problem. Even on a couple of wet days we've had here in SoCal over the past month.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Still running the stock battlaxes lol but I just bought Dunlop Q2s so I'll see how they do. My OEM tires just won't wear down but I know they're unsafely old. (8000+mi but obviously from 2007, so maybe even a 2006 production date :O )

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Still running the stock battlaxes lol but I just bought Dunlop Q2s so I'll see how they do. My OEM tires just won't wear down but I know they're unsafely old. (8000+mi but obviously from 2007, so maybe even a 2006 production date :O )

:eek: And here I've been riding easy on my tires with a production date of 2010! You shouldn't have to worry about your tires failing from old age. Change them every 5 years at most.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Why spend the money? Carve some new tires out of wood! :Flip::spank:Blah