All you Metzeler Z8 users better be right!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I'm just kidding. I did a bit of research and based on general consensus, Z8(s) last as long as Pilot Road(s), grip as well or better in dry and wet AND have been proven to grip better on the track, which is why I just ordered a set to replace my aging Pilot Road 2CT set.

I can easily squeeze more street miles out of my current set, but it's questionable for track use. I have approximately 12.5k miles on my Pilot Roads on FZ1 and tread still looks good (at least 1/16" before rear gets to the wear bar).

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had to get a new rear and went with the Z8's based on reviews I've read. My BT023's were great and gave me 17k km's. The z8's were cheaper (in my area) so that was the final deciding factor. I've had them for about 1k so far.....very happy.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$70 more for Z8 set, compared to PR2.
Hmm, considering I'm 99.9999% street (do eventually want to check out a track day) I'll probably still go with the PR's....though I'll probably look into the PR3s unless the PR2s are much cheaper (since aren't they super close in performance except the 3's have slightly better wet performance...which wouldn't be a huge loss to me since I don't ride in the wet)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, considering I'm 99.9999% street (do eventually want to check out a track day) I'll probably still go with the PR's....though I'll probably look into the PR3s unless the PR2s are much cheaper (since aren't they super close in performance except the 3's have slightly better wet performance...which wouldn't be a huge loss to me since I don't ride in the wet)

Based on quick research I did, PR2 may have slightly more grip in dry while PR3 may have more grip in wet. PR2 may also last a bit longer.
I have no personal experience with PR3, but I can tell you that I loved PR2 on my FZ6 and I loved them on my FZ1. If not for the track, I wouldn't even consider anything else.

I did ride PR2 in the rain, including a rainy track session.. they perform admirably.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Based on quick research I did, PR2 may have slightly more grip in dry while PR3 may have more grip in wet. PR2 may also last a bit longer.
I have no personal experience with PR3, but I can tell you that I loved PR2 on my FZ6 and I loved them on my FZ1. If not for the track, I wouldn't even consider anything else.

I did ride PR2 in the rain, including a rainy track session.. they perform admirably.
I see, maybe PR2s would be better for me then... I mainly use my FZ to commute to school so the farther I could go between tires (without spending much more, and therefore costing the same) the better.

I'd probably just look at all three (or four including the Metzeler M5s) and see which I can get for the best deal.

Huh... I have different experience with PR2. I hated those on FZ6. I've never felt confident on them. When I switched to Metzeler M5s I felt difference immediately. Much better progressiveness, feedback and confidence around corner.

That said, I've barely ride it in the rain (California :) ). On the track those were awesome.

I'm on the track this weekend and that will probably finish my set. My first thought was to get Z8s too. If you get them before me, please let me know. Especially how they feel compared to PR2.
Hey they've gotta be better than my ORIGINAL battleaxes I'm running right now :squid: , longevity is probably my highest priority for my FZ's next pair of shoes. Thanks for the recommendation though, how are the M5's wearing for you?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm interested to know what you think of them mate coz you know how much I love them :thumbup:

ahhh ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now it would appear to work beautifully thx TT and Dennis

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hoped you won't ask :) 4k and they are about to be replaced.
Well....
2w591.gif

I'll price out both the Z8s and the PR2/PR3s when I'm closer to change time. Thanks!

Z8s cost more than the PR3s everywhere ive seen. but if you have a preference in skins, you might as well spend the extra $30 or so.
I'd rather keep the $30, I'd probably not push the bike hard enough to justify the slightly better performance of the Z8s. Longevity and inexpensiveness win for me!

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
i meant the $30 as more of a brand loyalty thing. i still think the PR3s are the best tires on the market right now for the way i ride. i would never take the FZt the track, its just not that kind of bike. also i would feel too compelled to push myself just a little too hard and i feel that a cheap track bike with fairings would be a smarter alternative. in which case it will get slicks not an ST tire.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I just put on some PR3's. I was not that big of a fan of the PR2's because I felt the lean in was not that smooth and the confidence in grip wasn't as good as compared to my S20's or Pilot Power 3's (both hypersports).

I've put about 40 miles on them and so far like them, went for a quick twist run and felt they did the job well. I need to get through the winter before I can put more money into the bike, that is the only reason I got them. If I was rich I would buy a new set of Pilot Power 3's every 3,000 miles.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just put on some PR3's. I was not that big of a fan of the PR2's because I felt the lean in was not that smooth and the confidence in grip wasn't as good as compared to my S20's or Pilot Power 3's (both hypersports).

I've put about 40 miles on them and so far like them, went for a quick twist run and felt they did the job well. I need to get through the winter before I can put more money into the bike, that is the only reason I got them. If I was rich I would buy a new set of Pilot Power 3's every 3,000 miles.

I'm surprised you went for the PR3s. Don't they have exactly the same profile and compound as PR2s? Meaning turn in would feel the same?

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i meant the $30 as more of a brand loyalty thing. i still think the PR3s are the best tires on the market right now for the way i ride. i would never take the FZt the track, its just not that kind of bike. also i would feel too compelled to push myself just a little too hard and i feel that a cheap track bike with fairings would be a smarter alternative. in which case it will get slicks not an ST tire.

In a perfect world, sure track bike would be the way to go. My biggest issue: garage space! If I get a track bike, there's no way I can ever park a car in my 1-car garage again.. and occasionally it's nice to be able to do it here in the Winter.

Lots of people have ridden FZ6 on the track. It's not the perfect tool for the job, but it can handle it. FZ1 isn't ideal either, but it's what I've got for now so it'll have to do :thumbup:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The z8's will prob be my next set of tires. I discovered I'll never be a pro racer on that first track day, but getting out there on a good set of tires is a confidence builder and makes it easier to learn track riding.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I had two sets of Z6's on my FZ6 and the XR1200 is running OEM Dunlop Sportmax's. So when I burn those up in 2,000 miles or less I'll likely look at the Z8. The XR is a heavy bike so the Sportmax's get kinda blue with heat when I'm out riding hard.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm surprised you went for the PR3s. Don't they have exactly the same profile and compound as PR2s? Meaning turn in would feel the same?

I'm a Michelin fan, and I really considered getting another set of PP3's but I didn't want to have to worry about replacing in 5-6,000 miles. And they were only awesome for the first 3,000 miles.

So far the PR3's are slightly better. The lean in is a little smoother. but it still has the lean that goes from 0-10 dergrees no problem, then they wan to jump from 10 degrees all the way to 25/30 degrees. Grip is at least 25-50% better than than the PR2's it makes the annoying part of the lean in not as disconcerting.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I just put a set of Z8s on my 2007 FZ6 this summer. I had 5 year old Metzler Z6 rear tire and a relatively new Dunlop Sportmax front tire. The bike was very iffy in corners, and as a new rider, I wanted more grip to work on leaning the bike.

I love the Z8s so far. No concerns about grip, though I'm not doing track day work like some of you. I've ridden them in light rain and not had any concerns.

Mine were discounted with a coupon from Motorcycle Superstore earlier this summer. I bear the Michelin PR3 price by about $30 - $50 shipped.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't ride fast enough to really push a modern tire to it's limits so I'll leave those comments to the experts. What I am good at though is riding a lot of miles. So at the end of the day, the price and mileage is what matters to me.

I love Michelin tires (of all kinds, bicycle, bike, car) but the PR3's wore out too quickly for my tastes. My set of PR3's were bald (centre zigzag line was gone) by 18k km, a disappointment when I had two sets of PR2's before them that lasted 22-23k km each. The replacement Z8's are at 17k km's and look like they've got another 4-5k km's in them. Grip as far as I can tell is very similar between the two.

Assuming there isn't a PR4 in the spring, I'll likely be getting another set of Z8's when these wear out.

PS, Z8's are cheaper around here than pretty much anything comparable. If I remember right, the Z8's were about $40-50 cheaper than PR3's when I bought them in the spring.