Alternating Pod Lights

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to do the pod light mod on my fz6, and I've been doing a lot of forum trolling both here and at sportbikes.net. The only Pod light "as directional" mods I can find say that the pod's alternate. Does this mean they alternate from the stock signal? or will they be in sync with the stock signal? Has anyone around done this mod? I want my lights to be in sync with the stock turn signals. is this possible?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I too would like to know.

I plan on having watsen flushmounts and pod lights, and have the pod lights flash at the same time as the turn signals, to have a dual turn signal setup.

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
The pod lights will flash "in sync" in the sense that the left pod light flashes alternately with the left turn signal or the right pod light flashes alternately with the right turn signal. To make this happen, you simply do not connect either pod light wire to ground. Instead, you connect the "hot" side of the pod light to the hot side of the running lights and the "return" side of the pod light to the hot side of the associated turn signal.

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
The pod lights will flash \\"in sync\\" in the sense that the left pod light flashes alternately with the left turn signal or the right pod light flashes alternately with the right turn signal. To make this happen, you simply do not connect either pod light wire to ground. Instead, you connect the \\"hot\\" side of the pod light to the hot side of the running lights and the \\"return\\" side of the pod light to the hot side of the associated turn signal.

so setting it up this way would allow it to flash with the pod and turn signals on at the same time and off at the same time. Not pod on-turn sig off, Pod off-Turn sig on. correct?

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
so setting it up this way would allow it to flash with the pod and turn signals on at the same time and off at the same time. Not pod on-turn sig off, Pod off-Turn sig on. correct?

Nope, they alternate as you do not seem to desire. There isn't any really easy way to make the pod lights work as running lights AND as synchronized turn signals. If you want them just to function as turn signals, then just wire them in parallel with the turn signals... but you'll lose their main effect as running lights. Just curious, why do you not like them alternating?:confused:

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, they alternate as you do not seem to desire. There isn't any really easy way to make the pod lights work as running lights AND as synchronized turn signals. If you want them just to function as turn signals, then just wire them in parallel with the turn signals... but you'll lose their main effect as running lights. Just curious, why do you not like them alternating?:confused:

because I ride (and drive) under the impression that everyone else on the road is a F'ing moron that just got their license yesterday.... and I can imagine someone looking at it and saying to themselves, "WTF does that mean... well i'm going anyway".................Splat............. So If they're syncronized they'll catch the attention the same without old/young/everone getting confused. Come on, you should know. I used to live in Palm Harbor which is, for those that don't know, about 45 mins south of you. People encounter any kind of change ( traffic, rain, snow.... air) they get all retarded and forget how to drive

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
because I ride (and drive) under the impression that everyone else on the road is a F'ing moron that just got their license yesterday.... and I can imagine someone looking at it and saying to themselves, \"WTF does that mean... well i'm going anyway\".................Splat............. So If they're syncronized they'll catch the attention the same without old/young/everone getting confused. Come on, you should know. I used to live in Palm Harbor which is, for those that don't know, about 45 mins south of you. People encounter any kind of change ( traffic, rain, snow.... air) they get all retarded and forget how to drive

I just finished making the harness for my pod lights. Got the sockets today and spent the last couple of hours soldering and shrink tubing. I hooked my flush mounts up so they are not running lights. Just the ground and the 12v alternating. Then for the POD lights, I hooked one wire to the Constant 12v source (not used in the flushmounts, blue wire) then the other wire from the socket to the alternating 12v source. This set up makes them alternate, pod then flushmount, pod then flush mount. I think this set up draws more attention when compared to synced flashing.

Tomorrow I will be in search of some small amber bulbs to replace the clear ones that were ordered through yamaha.

After soldering a crap ton of points on Dad's bike yesterday. (re-routing J&M and XM radio) and making this harness for the POD lights. I must say I am getting pretty darn good with a soldering iron :cheer:

-bryan

Fizzer44

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm think of doing something similar. Can you post some pics or a video when finished? I would like to see how it turns out.

sfcali86

Proud Dad
Reaction score
Visit site
done i just did my pod light mod with the r1 socket except i did a little extra since i have after market turn signals i had the extra wire ,so i gave it a quick disconnect terminal so i can just swap them if i please from steady light to turn signals they are perfect the light halp the bike stand out

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
The pod lights will flash \\"in sync\\" in the sense that the left pod light flashes alternately with the left turn signal or the right pod light flashes alternately with the right turn signal. To make this happen, you simply do not connect either pod light wire to ground. Instead, you connect the \\"hot\\" side of the pod light to the hot side of the running lights and the \\"return\\" side of the pod light to the hot side of the associated turn signal.

Does wiring a light in such a way cause any distress to the electrical system? I know just enough to get myself in trouble in this area. ;) Ever since I saw the pod light mod, it has intrigued me. I'm reluctant to take a drill to something stock, but it's growing on me and I can see the day where I bite the bullet and just do it in the near future. It's turning cold and I just don't like riding sub 40 degrees.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Does wiring a light in such a way cause any distress to the electrical system? I know just enough to get myself in trouble in this area. ;) Ever since I saw the pod light mod, it has intrigued me. I'm reluctant to take a drill to something stock, but it's growing on me and I can see the day where I bite the bullet and just do it in the near future. It's turning cold and I just don't like riding sub 40 degrees.

Highly doubtful, especially if you use LED bulbs.

If you drill the holes and end up not liking it you can either keep them plugged or put some epoxy or tape over it, you're not gonna see it anyways.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
To help reduce shaving in the light. HAve some one hold the light facing up that way you can drill from below and all the shavings will fall out as you drill. Be carefull not to let the drill bit grab and hit the inside of the light housing. I came close a few times.

-bryan