dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
What I did:

Filled tank with stabilized fuel
Wash and wax
Lubed chain
Oil change was done under 500 miles ago, so I'm letting that slide
Removed battery (don't have a charger yet, either)
Put on center stand and covered

Blackops272

Reaction score
Visit site
What I did:

Filled tank with stabilized fuel
Wash and wax
Lubed chain
Oil change was done under 500 miles ago, so I'm letting that slide
Removed battery (don't have a charger yet, either)
Put on center stand and covered

stabilized fuel?
i've washed it all down and covered it up and it's in my garage
need to do a oil change on it so i might do that soon
my battery is under my tank and i haven't a clue on how to get the tank off and get in to it :(

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
This is my first winter owning a bike. I'm still waiting to see how far I can go... I think I might go for rides often enough provided the temps are above 32 to not require fuel stabilizer.

I believe Erci takes a similar approach so I'm curious what he does.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
stabilized fuel?
i've washed it all down and covered it up and it's in my garage
need to do a oil change on it so i might do that soon
my battery is under my tank and i haven't a clue on how to get the tank off and get in to it :(

Fuel stabilizer - available at Autozone, Pep boys, etc.
Yes - do the oil change before winterization... keeps the insides nice.
Tank lifting is easy. There are plenty threads here that describe this.

Blackops272

Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel stabilizer - available at Autozone, Pep boys, etc.
Yes - do the oil change before winterization... keeps the insides nice.
Tank lifting is easy. There are plenty threads here that describe this.

I'll have to see if i can take this battery out it seems the simplest option if you dont have a charger! :p

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
If you store it where mice are a problem a few traps around the bike or some mouse poison is a good idea so you won't find a mouse nest in your air box :eek:

Be sure to use a fuel stabilizer in a FULL tank of gas that's for an ethonal blend if that's what they sell in your area.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Best advice I can give anybody................... Move to Australia & ride all year round :BLAA: :BLAA: :D :D :D :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Sounds like an excellent advice if only you would mention also that there's like dozens of world's deadliest bugs and shiet that can kill you there too.

i think I will take my chances with a little bit of snow.
:D

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice from all - battery on a tender somehow (in or out of the bike), perhaps some cardboard under the tires so they don't sit on cold concrete, Sta-bil for ethanol in the tank (note a lot of places don't need to label ethanol below a certain percentage - hard to get straight gas anymore). Plug your exhaust, too - I put some steel wool in a zip-loc bag (to prevent the fibers from falling into my exhaust) and plug with that. Didn't once in the past, ended up with cat food filling the exhaust from mice!

I used to go all out for storage, even fogging the cylinders with oil. I've stopped that - for the minimum amount of extra wear I'm causing (if any), I'm saving a ton of headache!

Blackops272

Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice from all - battery on a tender somehow (in or out of the bike), perhaps some cardboard under the tires so they don't sit on cold concrete, Sta-bil for ethanol in the tank (note a lot of places don't need to label ethanol below a certain percentage - hard to get straight gas anymore). Plug your exhaust, too - I put some steel wool in a zip-loc bag (to prevent the fibers from falling into my exhaust) and plug with that. Didn't once in the past, ended up with cat food filling the exhaust from mice!

I used to go all out for storage, even fogging the cylinders with oil. I've stopped that - for the minimum amount of extra wear I'm causing (if any), I'm saving a ton of headache!

Great advice everyone thanks!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Best advice I can give anybody................... Move to Australia & ride all year round :BLAA: :BLAA: :D :D :D :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

You beat me too saying it hump!!! Lol

To the op though, I don't think I saw or read where you live at, as long as its not too far north with the right gear you really could keep riding.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I swear by the marine grade Stabil, put it in pretty much any gas I'm planning on leaving for >2 weeks these days. I dunno if you can get it easily in Brit-land or if you guys have the same awful fuel we've been cursed with nowdays.

I've never bothered pulling my battery, but I use an AGM, so it's more tolerant of that kinda abuse. A regular battery probably wouldn't be too happy about it. But I remember it being a serious PITA to lift the tank when it's full, and one way or another, you pretty much have to lift it full at least once.

Blackops272

Reaction score
Visit site
I swear by the marine grade Stabil, put it in pretty much any gas I'm planning on leaving for >2 weeks these days. I dunno if you can get it easily in Brit-land or if you guys have the same awful fuel we've been cursed with nowdays.

I've never bothered pulling my battery, but I use an AGM, so it's more tolerant of that kinda abuse. A regular battery probably wouldn't be too happy about it. But I remember it being a serious PITA to lift the tank when it's full, and one way or another, you pretty much have to lift it full at least once.

Brit-land? you mean England, as far as i am aware our feul is fne and i've never heard of any of my biking mates using feul stabilzers

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you store it where mice are a problem a few traps around the bike or some mouse poison is a good idea so you won't find a mouse nest in your air box :eek:

Be sure to use a fuel stabilizer in a FULL tank of gas that's for an ethonal blend if that's what they sell in your area.

Thanks for mouse tips! We didn't ride the scoot very much this year and as I was winterizing it this weekend, I found a couple of peanuts stashed here and there. Didn't find any nests, but I'll be sure to buy some mouse poison and place it by the scoot and FZ6.

btw, I use stabilizer as well, battery tender (in the bike, put the charging cables on the battery), wash and wax and cover her up until next spring. :(