are parts generally hard to get?

flivver

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a 2005 FZ6 about three weeks ago. Took it to my local/independent mechanic, who discovered that whoever put the rear wheel on last, tightened down the axle out of alignment, then cross-threaded the axle nut on, and then forced it (likely with an impact wrench). He had to cut the nut off, and then discovered that the axle threads were hosed.

He ordered a new axle and nut from the local Yamaha dealer, and was told it'd be in by the end of the week. That would have been a full week ago. When it didn't arrive, they told him it'd be Tuesday (three days ago). When it didn't arrive again, they said it'd be today. Didn't arrive today, either, and now they're saying it'll be next week.

For fun, I checked a few online places for the part (which I think is a 5VX-25381-10-00 rear axle), and got everything from "it shows that it's back-ordered until 9/30" to "we don't show an availability date at all".

This is not looking good. Are parts generally hard to find for this bike? I hope not, because I really, really like the bike. It's killing me not to ride it, since I just bought it. :)

Thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's many used parts on the forum.

Partzilla: Partzilla: OEM Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, Marine Parts is quite a bit cheaper (even with shipping) and they usually have MUCH more in stock (or can get them much quicker most parts)

Parts 27 and 28 for YOUR bike: Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2005 FZ6 - FZS6T REAR WHEEL Diagram

Without me going completely thru the check out process, I don't know what's in stock, likely both..

Note: After doing a 0 MPH tip over with about $625 in parts, they had all but ONE part in stock, about 3 day shipping
(many odd little parts too, plastic, main stay, foot peg, mirror, etc.).. NEVER had to return a damaged part (including a fuel
tank)

Last edited:

flivver

Reaction score
Visit site
Partzilla was actually one that I checked. Bikebandit may have been the other. Back ordered. But regardless, thanks for the info -- and for helping me to feel better about parts availability generally!

flivver

Reaction score
Visit site
To close the loop. The local Yamaha dealer reports that the part is in. Took two weeks. I hope it's actually there, when I go to pick it up. :)

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ordered an engine gasket, foot peg, and clutch and throttle cables from Partzilla before and they call came in super fast. Every now and then, something has to be out of stock!