Another Deals Gap ride 10/11&12 2014

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had some time the other weekend. We really wanted to ride down Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway to Fontana, but with the weather, lack of lodging availability, and our time constraints we just loaded the bike up in the trailer and headed out. Two days just isn't enough time. I've been to the Dragon twice now, and both times I've been there for just two days... next time we have to get a whole week in! Other then the wet roads it was beautiful as usual. An added plus going late in the season is the lack of toolbags trying to prove their manhood. Anywho, it was another great ride!

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
John and I just got back from there...I really enjoyed it! I forget how lush and green it is back there, so pretty.

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it is. Would love to live near Ashville... We are looking at Killboy, US129photo, and Slayer... They must have between them 100+ pics of us.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you had a great ride, and thanks for sharing the pics!

So there was no available lodging? Was that caused by the tourists passing through to see the leaves?

And, what time of year do you think the tool traffic tends to taper off?

I'm thinking I might try a visit next fall.

Chris

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you had a great ride, and thanks for sharing the pics!

So there was no available lodging? Was that caused by the tourists passing through to see the leaves?

And, what time of year do you think the tool traffic tends to taper off?

I'm thinking I might try a visit next fall.

Chris

A week or so before we went down I started calling around trying to find a cabin. No luck. Seems like you said, leaf watchers were out. Everything from Pigeon Forge to Robinsville was booked up. I stayed at Fontana Village before so I called them back and asked if they had a room in the lodge instead of a cabin. I lucked out as someone cancelled. I knew trying to find a place was going to be tough, but it was my own fault waiting till a week or two before going down. I asked the front desk at Fontana Village about not having anything available and they said they had a convention going on and didn't know about other places.

As for the tools... well, they were there. Just a few though. Had a couple guys in Corvettes and a Cadillac that were pretty cool. Took pictures for each other and talked about our rides for a bit. Pretty neat seeing a hot rod caddy station wagon haul it around the dragon. That thing is fast and sounded wicked!

Our first run on the Dragon a couple donkeys in tuner cars thought it would be cool to ride up on the back of my wife. It was her first run at the Dragon, and it was soaking wet. SO we went slow. Sucks to be them huh?! All and all it was a blast. The locals were nice, the people at Fontana Village were accommodating and the food believe it or not was awesome! Even the cops were cool. :thumbup: Guess when your on vacation and at a place you love everything is better?! No?

Anyone know whats up with the speed limit? Talk at Deals Gap was it was 65mph now... Something about a class action law suit. Even though its posted 35mph.

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know whats up with the speed limit? Talk at Deals Gap was it was 65mph now... Something about a class action law suit. Even though its posted 35mph.

Unless you ride like Rossi, I don't know how anyone could do that road at 65! Unless you know that road like the back of your hand, which apparently the guy who passed us on a Goldwing did! MF was flying and then he leaned into the next curve like a pro.....impressive, stupid, but still impressive riding skills.

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless you ride like Rossi, I don't know how anyone could do that road at 65! Unless you know that road like the back of your hand, which apparently the guy who passed us on a Goldwing did! MF was flying and then he leaned into the next curve like a pro.....impressive, stupid, but still impressive riding skills.

LOL! Nope. Not this guy.

Here is a video of one of our rides.
Not real happy with the quality... hmmmm oh well.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing Bill, looks like a great trip and nice pics too :thumbup:.

I don't mind riding in the rain but with the added leaves I think it would have been a pretty slick surface :eek:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Was it this guy? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo"]deals gap on a goldwing/gl1800 by yellow wolf dragons tail - YouTube[/ame]

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Probably the same guy that's been riding the Dragon for years, literally. Has to have Progressive springs up front(tightens the front end up considerably) as you cannot run that fast stock without leaving a bunch of sparks!

Great pic's BTW.

Just a side note, the last time we stayed up there (rode up, I had a Wing), we stayed in a motel in "Townsend", Tenn. Its inbetween Gatlinburg and the gap, NO downtown heavy traffic to deal with.

Probably changed names now, but very bike friendly, nice place..

Last edited: