Austin to Aubrey to Austin, 483 miles

D

Dave.TX

Howdy all. Well, I started in Elgin instead of Austin but close enough. I'm a member of the Two Wheeled Texans forum and each month they have a pie run destination somewhere in Texas. Yesterday was January's pie run in Aubrey, TX. I started off just before 8am from my house and got up there around noon, about 230 miles. The great thing about the forum is everyone and every bike is invited. A majority of the forum members have dual sport or adventure sport bikes (KLR 650's, BMW F650GS's and the like) but there's also cruisers and such.
2012-01-28_11-55-40_528.jpg
2012-01-28_12-02-52_398.jpg
2012-01-28_12-12-34_682.jpg

Some pile on for a long ride, as these sport touring bikes are loaded down. Some camp overnight if they ride a long distance. I didn't, just rode up there and back the same day (483 miles round trip). I also stopped in Grapevine to see my aunt and uncle who I only saw once last year.

This was my longest ride to date (been riding since Sept 2011). The temps never made it higher than mid-50's and I didn't get home until about 9:30pm, it was in the 40's by that time. No heated gear and cheap Bilt "insulated" gloves (they say they're insulated) left my hands fairly cold but I survived. A head wind going up there wasn't so fun, 10-25mph, so the MadStad windshield helped out a lot though my FZ isn't a Goldwing by any means. The ride back netted me about 60mpg with a 10-15mph tail wind and somewhat slower speeds, close to speed limits.

One thing that did help out with my throttle hand was the Go Cruise throttle control. At times on IH35 I was able to set the throttle, take my hand off and tuck for several miles. It never let me down and for $20 shipped it's easily one of the best investments anyone can make. It's much cheaper than a Throttlemeister or Kaoko throttle lock but does the same thing.

On a side note, the Ducati in the picture is their Hypermotard. That looks like a fun bike to ride! The grey one next to it is a Triumph Sprint ST, definitely fun to ride on longer distances. There were several Yamaha FJR's and at least one Kawasaki Concours 14 that had the bags removed, it looked mean!

D

Dave.TX

Weather was overcast, chilly and windy. The sun finally came out, it warmed up to about 57 degrees.

massaudio

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a good time. Hope to link up sometime when I head that way. Me and the wife are actually talking about maybe trying to get stationed at Ft. Hood again. She is from Austin, and I kinda miss Ft. Hood.

D

Dave.TX

Massaudio, if you do let me know! I go on rides with Austin Sportbike Riders (ASR) through meetup.com and one of the last rides we did we headed up through Florence and Jarrell through the county roads, it was a really good ride.
photobucket-11768-1326562093533.jpg

I've also been on a ride through Salado and Little River-Academy with some cruisers and those were good back roads also. From Temple just take 95 south to Elgin, that's where I live.

A couple of weeks ago another member of TWT put on a fish fry at his place in Smithville, TX. I think he estimated the number of people to be around 75 or so.
P1210002.jpg

There's some good groups around Texas if you look. When I got my bike last September I knew a few people with Harley's and such so I went on the internet to see if there were groups I could meet up with, and there were.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also a member of TWTEX and Aubrey is actually pretty close to me. I go by jeepinbanditrider on that forum.

I missed out on the Aubrey pie run cause I had a 24 hour post at the barracks that day :/ Hico is next month I plan to make that even if I have to take leave :)

Not sure if you caught this one or not but here's a link to a camp out in east Texas at the end of Feb. I plan to try to make it but will have to leave Sat. night as I have to catch a plane to New Orleans for a school I have to attend.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68871

Last edited:
D

Dave.TX

Hey Downs, I have the same handle on TWT as I do here. That campout won't work for me as I have We/Th/Fr off this month and already tried to get that Saturday for the Big Bend trip but couldn't. I'm working the day of the Hico pie run (same Saturday) so won't be there either but the March run to Fairfield is on my day off.