Awesome Seize....

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
check this out:

Alabama Slammer: Seized Porsche 911 becomes newest member of Hoover PD - Autoblog

hoover_pd_porsche.jpg

gpd211

Reaction score
Visit site
That's pretty cool, but it won't get any traffic use.

They could've made some good money selling it.

The way our city works if we seize a vehicle and sell it the money goes to the city general fund and not to the police dept. We are better off using the vehicle for whatever we can than to loose the money. They may be in the same boat. Its a state board of accounts thing.:spank:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice to see our economy going south and they use tax money to police out a porsche.....way to go government spending.:thumbup:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
It's nice to see that as the police walk all over the property rights of citizens, not only do they advertise the fact, but the citizens applaud their actions.

I think I'm gonna puke now.

TKarrade

Software Simian
Reaction score
www.playeralliance.com
It's nice to see that as the police walk all over the property rights of citizens, not only do they advertise the fact, but the citizens applaud their actions.

I think I'm gonna puke now.
Did you even read the story?
.... a motorist has his Porsche 911 searched during a traffic stop by Hoover, Alabama police, and they find 10 kilos of cocaine in two hidden compartments. The case traipses through the court system for over a year, the bad guy goes away, and the car is handed over to the police department.
Sorry... I can't see any problem with that at all.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you even read the story?

Sorry... I can't see any problem with that at all.
yeah, im all for them taking it... i like the banner on the windshield the most... i hope if that guy gets out he see's his car driving around town with a boy in blue behind the wheel :thumbup:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
It's very simple. Drug related seizures are treated as "guilty until proven innocent."

They bust you. They take your stuff. Later on you're convicted, or not.

If not, good luck getting your property back.

And it's double jeopardy, since you're already going to serve jail time and pay fines once convicted. In addition to this the police can take everything you own. It gives the police a piratical viewpoint, since they an now directly profit from citizens.

I'd object less if they took the Porsche, sold it and gave the money to a drug treatment center.

fuzzylogic

Reaction score
Visit site
i can somewhat understand your viewpoint on this but at the same time they found 10 kilos of coke hidden in the car. guilty until proven innocent or not thats pretty damning. he's lucky all he lost was his porsche.

edit - it sounds as if you're pretty jaded on the subject. have you or someone you know been wrongly hasseled by police for drugs? or maybe you or someone you know did have drugs but thought the consequences were too harsh?

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I've never been arrested. I've had two warrants issued on me in my lifetime. One was for an unpaid speeding ticket. The other was for not keeping a service contract on my house's septic tank. I've never had a single friend get busted for drugs.

What I object to is the slow and unstoppable increase in the power of the police and the government over us mere mortals. The police confiscating your property based solely on evidence provided by the very same police, with no legal recourse for you, roving wiretaps, the ability to search your home while you're not there without ever telling you about it.

The folks in charge have too much power, and they always want a little more. And as long as the average citizen's response is,"Well, as long as they promise to keep me safe, it's okie dokie by me." they will continue to gain power.

Last edited:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmmm..... the police have been eyeing my FZ6. I guess I'll have to make sure I don't use it to haul around massive quantities of cocaine.

I do get the point about the need provide a barrier between those with the power and those who might benefit from its use. Otherwise you might come back to you bike someday and find 10 kilos of coke in your topcase and a cop who just happens to walk by as you open it.

When you think about it, many of us work in positions of power that could be abused.

TKarrade

Software Simian
Reaction score
www.playeralliance.com
The folks in charge have too much power, and they always want a little more. And as long as the average citizen's response is,"Well, as long as they promise to keep me safe, it's okie dokie by me." they will continue to gain power.
I can respect that point of view.

However in this specific case, I don't believe there's anything to complain about. The guy was carrying 10 kilos, and had placed it in two 'hidden compartments'. After further research it seems like they were underneath some body panels on either side of the back seat. It's not the easiest place for someone to plant evidence.

Also, it's not like the guy didn't have a chance to prove his innocence. The case was in federal court for over a year, which means that the feds and not the local cops made the decision on it.

Police Capt. Jim Coker said it’s taken this long to get the car because of a slow-moving federal court system.

“This case went through a federal court, so the seizure had to go through a federal court,” he said. “It takes a while to work through the process.”
Shelby County Reporter | Hoover unveils Porsche as new police vehicle

Also... it doesn't make much sense to plant $300,000 worth of drugs on some guy just to confiscate his $100,000 car. :)

In many cases, the police can over-step their bounds. I do not approve of that, and that's why we have the judicial system to smack them back into place. It's all about balance. Federal Judges are just as likely to smack down a rogue cop since it makes the system look bad anyway.

Maybe I'm just not as cynical as some people.
-TK

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmmm..... the police have been eyeing my FZ6. I guess I'll have to make sure I don't use it to haul around massive quantities of cocaine.

I dont have a top case so the only place they have is under the seat. If they can fit mass amounts of cocaine under there ill go to jail without fighting.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Check this out:

lamborghini_gallardo_italian_police_car.thumbnail.jpg

techart_porsche_police_1.jpg

Both cars are used daily. The Porsche was actually a gift from Techart to the german police:thumbup:

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The way our city works if we seize a vehicle and sell it the money goes to the city general fund and not to the police dept. We are better off using the vehicle for whatever we can than to loose the money. They may be in the same boat. Its a state board of accounts thing.:spank:

Same here. For the record, It takes a CONVICTION before the property can be seized and tons of paperwork.

Last edited:

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The point Fred is trying to make here is that these drug seizure laws allow the Police to deprive people of their property prior to or without due process. Meaning that they never have to prove anything in a court of law, only accuse you and take your property. Then you have to sue them to get it back if you have the money to hire a lawyer. Lawyers don't take cases like these on a contingent fee.

The old Sheriff Vogel of Volusia County, Florida was notorious for targeting minorities on I95 and taking their money, if they happened to have a couple hundred dollars on them, after searching them and their vehicles, by accusing them of planning on buying drugs. They would never be actually charged, but their money was gone. This money went directly to Vogel's Dept.

I, and apparently Fred, am amazed how on the one hand many complain about government intrusion and power but then support laws that do exactly that in violation of our constitutional rights to be safe in our personal affects, to due process, and unreasonable searches and seizures.

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Same here. For the record, It takes a CONVICTION before the property can be seized and tons of paperwork.

Oh really?

Inside the DEA, DEA Programs, Asset Forfeiture

Where does it say that the owner of the property has to be found guilty by a court of law?

They don't need to convict you to take your property. They just need to show probable cause.

Was the Porsche owner smuggling? I guess, although we only have the say-so of the article. But it sounds like a legitimate bust.

A bad law that catches a bad person is still a bad law.

Last edited: