Back from first screenless ride

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using Puig Racing screen almost from the time I got my FZ6 a year ago. It definitely improved things at highway speeds, but wind road and turbulence was still an issue.
Having recently ridden a sport cruiser for the first time, I was amazing how quiet the the ride was and how little turbulence there was.
So, I took the screen completely off my bike and went for a 60 mile joy ride with speeds ranging from 40 to (insert whatever is the top legal speed here :D ). Sure enough, the ride was infinitely quieter than I've grown accustomed and there was no turbulence to speak of.
I'll be cutting my stock screen very soon (if not today) :D
I'll keep the Puig for cold weather riding.

I've been using Puig Racing screen almost from the time I got my FZ6 a year ago. It definitely improved things at highway speeds, but wind road and turbulence was still an issue.
Having recently ridden a sport cruiser for the first time, I was amazing how quiet the the ride was and how little turbulence there was.
So, I took the screen completely off my bike and went for a 60 mile joy ride with speeds ranging from 40 to (insert whatever is the top legal speed here :D ). Sure enough, the ride was infinitely quieter than I've grown accustomed and there was no turbulence to speak of.
I'll be cutting my stock screen very soon (if not today) :D
I'll keep the Puig for cold weather riding.

lets see some pics of your bike after you cut the stock screen.
just curious :D

So how is it at highway speed?

On my cruiser (sitting upright), I went 70mph without my windshield and it was a chore to hold on. I had a backrest and it helped a lot. I did not like commuting like that. Plus, I remember at 40mph, a bug ran into my face and I think I ran into an acorn cruising a back road.

On the FZ6, you can probably crouch down (esp. with FZ1 or similar bars) -- maybe it helps if you're down?

I think with a full face helmet in the wind, the wind would help keep your head up and give the rear neck muscles a break.

Dennis

I agree with your post, which is why I bought the FZ6N instead of the S (nice to have the choice :)). I haven't done any extended trips, but it's definitely far less turbulent at city speeds, no question.

Oh and far easier than a cruiser to stay for longer stints on. I find the 'parachute' position of a cruiser really crazy for keeping the wind at bay - luckily most have a lip at the back of the seat you can push against to hold you up. But the more forward position on the FZ means it's not an issue.

If I had an S I would definitely go the chop - because the alternative to reduce the turbulence would be a +15" screen or something absurd!

So is this another confirmation that the nakids don't notice wind as much as one would think with the absense of a windscreen completely?? You would think the opposite would be the case but I have been reading instances of where every says the wind actually becomes less of an issue...

So is this another confirmation that the nakids don't notice wind as much as one would think with the absense of a windscreen completely?? You would think the opposite would be the case but I have been reading instances of where every says the wind actually becomes less of an issue...

I'll confirm it, that's for sure. I went naked this winter after riding for 3 seasons with the fairing and I can tell you, without a doubt, the wind is much less noticeable. The first time you ride without a fairing (or, in the OP's case, the windscreen), you'll notice that you're catching more wind with your upper body but it's much smoother and less choppy. Your helmet gets MUCH less buffeting because of this. I also noticed a bit more wind on my legs, but that's a good thing once it gets up above 80 degrees.

Im just going to say it,........................ GO STREETFIGHTER!:steve:

I love not having a windscreen, i feel like i get a better sense of the road infront of me. I usually cant feel a difference on wind but im also wearing one of these two at all times.

The helmet thing with it being blown around has cut down quite a bit because I am pretty tall and the windscreen was like a slide that punches me in the face.

Last edited:
The bike I picked up this year had the OEM Yamaha 'tall' screen. It was horrible. It took the wind off of my chest but created so much turbulance around my head that the wind noise was unbearable without ear plugs. I sold it and bought a stock screen. much better. The turbulance now hits my chest and my head is in clean air. Much less noise, much better ride. I'm sure a naked will be just fine and probably smoother. I've thought about taking another 3 or 4 inches off of the stock screen. Looking forward to seeing how yours comes out when you chop it.

Tried to cut my OEM screen, last night (started way high, just to see if my tools would work).
Dremel: no good. I probably don't have the right bit for the job. I was trying to use the cut-off wheel, but that was melting lexan very quickly and in a very ugly way.
Hacksaw: also no good. May not have the right blade, but felt like I wouldn't be able to do a nice clean curved cut with it.

Waiting to hear from my friend's father. I *think* he has a band saw (I'm thinking that will be the best tool for the job).
The other option would be copying saw.
What do you all think?

Oh.. one negative thing about screenless setup: my visor picked up a lot more bugs.

I made a few different screens for my CB750 a few years back. It was pretty much a bent sheet of lexan back then, no real forming. I used a band saw for the blanks, a jigsaw when I was at home to trim them to the size I wanted. Any method I used left a fairly rough cut which I then cleaned up with a series of files. Started with a rasp to get the shape I wanted. moved to a bastard to clean up the rasp'd edge. Then sanded to clean up that and finally used a blow torch to flame polish the edge. Worked a charm.

Pratice the flame polish on a cut off first. :) You just pass the flame along the edge. Aimed direcrtly at it, perpendicular to the edge as if you were shooting it down the windshield. Keep it moving, about the same speed as slowing waving your hand. @ 12 inches a second or so.

If you are not comfortable with flame polishing, a bit of rubbing compound and a buffer will work too. You have to do the same amount of prep and it is a lot more work to buff..

Erci,

Do you have access to a band saw? They can be handy for cutting unusual objects/shapes.

Oh.. one negative thing about screenless setup: my visor picked up a lot more bugs.

This would be the only downside to going naked/screenless. Yes, I catch a LOT more bugs, but they're easy to clean off and even the bike is easier to clean (you don't have the nooks and crannies of the fairing to deal with).

Demel Tools 562 and / or 9901 could be handy, too.
Even if thats maybe for the "make it perfect" work, not the main cut.

BR
Rob

If you're cutting the screen down, I recommend adding some screen trim line to the edge. This should aid in (ever so) slightly reducing the turbulence even more.

Screen's cut and installed (no pics for now, as it was too dark by the time I was done). I ended up using my Dremel with the grinding wheel (I tried the cutting wheel, but that was melting the screen very quickly). A good bit of sanding after cutting and it looks fairly clean. I do have screen trim handy, but I have to take it for a ride to see it's cut low enough.
I'm thinking I may have to get rid of the OEM radius at the top and really flatten it out to get the wind to my chest, instead of my helmet.

Just did 20 miles (mostly highway at 75 or so.
The screen is not short enough :(
Not nearly as good as going completely screen-less. I could cut about another inch off (if I flatten out the top), but I don't even know if it's worth it. I have a feeling it'll still push the air flow too high.

Back