Back from first screenless ride

Just did 20 miles (mostly highway at 75 or so.
The screen is not short enough :(
Not nearly as good as going completely screen-less. I could cut about another inch off (if I flatten out the top), but I don't even know if it's worth it. I have a feeling it'll still push the air flow too high.

If you look at most other bikes that have a half fairing, you'll notice that the screen 'floats'. Your '07 has the much simpler mounting system, right? Just a series of bolts along the sides of the screen?

An experiment to try, to see if this technique would work on the FZ6, would be to mount the screen 'outside' the fairing, on shims, so there is a gap all the way along the edges. I theorize this would only require (for the temporary experiment) longer bolts, and some plastic washers to produce the gap.

The DL 650, er6, most BMW screen designs have all gone to this format. The idea (I believe) is to allow a LOT more air to flow around the screen to reduce the pressure difference between the front and back. More airflow will reduce the vacuum, which is what sucks the buffeting towards your head/ears.

If you look at most other bikes that have a half fairing, you'll notice that the screen 'floats'. Your '07 has the much simpler mounting system, right? Just a series of bolts along the sides of the screen?

An experiment to try, to see if this technique would work on the FZ6, would be to mount the screen 'outside' the fairing, on shims, so there is a gap all the way along the edges. I theorize this would only require (for the temporary experiment) longer bolts, and some plastic washers to produce the gap.

The DL 650, er6, most BMW screen designs have all gone to this format. The idea (I believe) is to allow a LOT more air to flow around the screen to reduce the pressure difference between the front and back. More airflow will reduce the vacuum, which is what sucks the buffeting towards your head/ears.

VERY interesting idea!! I'll get some bolts and spacers tonight and give it a try :D

I cut down my screen to the top of the fairing a few weeks ago, love it. I've recommended on other forums, so i'll throw it out here. If you can get clean airflow to your helmet and want it quieter, get a windjammer II. Costs around $20 shipped and does wonders to smoothing out what turbulence is left below the helmet. That on my Shoei RF1000 with earplugs or ipod and i am good to go.

AAAAAuvxXy0AAAAAABUk6A.png

Pic of how far mine is cut down. I used a dremel, took 5 minutes.
IMG_0146.jpg

Just did 20 miles (mostly highway at 75 or so.
The screen is not short enough :(
Not nearly as good as going completely screen-less. I could cut about another inch off (if I flatten out the top), but I don't even know if it's worth it. I have a feeling it'll still push the air flow too high.

How short are you? I'm 5'8 and the stock screen is pretty good for me 90% of the time.

Some people have cut a hole in the bottom of the screen, basically taking out the Yamaha logo near the front with a larger circle or a triangular window. This allows a bit of air under the screen and seems to smooth out the turbulence. It makes sense because it reduces the low pressure area that would form behind the screen while still redirecting the majority of the air flow. I've noticed on few newer bikes, this area is already open.

How short are you? I'm 5'8 and the stock screen is pretty good for me 90% of the time.

Some people have cut a hole in the bottom of the screen, basically taking out the Yamaha logo near the front with a larger circle or a triangular window. This allows a bit of air under the screen and seems to smooth out the turbulence. It makes sense because it reduces the low pressure area that would form behind the screen while still redirecting the majority of the air flow. I've noticed on few newer bikes, this area is already open.

I'm 5' 10". Stock screen was directing wind right to the visor.. not good. Puig was directing wind to forehead and shoulders .. easy to tuck, but sitting straight up = lots of buffeting and turbulence at hwy speeds.

Current setup is directing the wind to my neck. Definitely going to try the spacer approach.

I recently cut mine down all the way to the fairing supports and put on the leftover trim from my Puig screen. It did lower where the wind hits me but the overall noise and turbulence is no better than stock, maybe worse. I put the Puig back on. I am 6'1" and wear a Scorpion EXO-700 and custom earplugs.

My '08 Ninja 250R was much quieter. Too bad doing the "naked" mod is so expensive. Plus, on cool, or very windy, days it's nice to be able to tuck behind the Puig windscreen for a bit.

Tim

I'm 5' 10". Stock screen was directing wind right to the visor.. not good. Puig was directing wind to forehead and shoulders .. easy to tuck, but sitting straight up = lots of buffeting and turbulence at hwy speeds.

Current setup is directing the wind to my neck. Definitely going to try the spacer approach.

Just noticed you have an 07'. Both of mine pre-new fairing. The stock screen puts the turbulence in my chest and my head is in clean air.

Back