Back tire feels like it's sliding

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of times lately it feels like my back tire is sliding out sideways as I come out of one particular corner. It's one I usually go into at 40 kph and come out of at 50, and I think it might only feel slippy when I've parked my bike for a while and yakked with friends for half an hour before jumping back on again, just before that corner. It's unnerving to say the least. Do you think it could be because the weather has suddenly cooled down (near freezing) and the road is colder, or because my tires are cool, or what?

I'll be cornering a little slower until I figure out what's going on. I haven't dumped this bike and really don't want to start.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Cold tires on even colder pavement could definitely cause that feeling, ive noticed very similar feelings on the colder mornings heading to work

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input.

Have you checked the air pressure lately? A tire low on air will give you the same feeling....

I'll check that this afternoon!

Cold tires on even colder pavement could definitely cause that feeling, ive noticed very similar feelings on the colder mornings heading to work

If that's it, it looks like a cautious couple of weeks for me (I insured it till the first week of November, which is plenty late in the year here in the Kootenays).

crappy old stock tires?

I guess so? Stock tires from 2007 AFAIK. The bike has about 3K km on it, and there's lots of tread left.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the stock tires are really crappy, the stock tires old are really really really crappy.

ps2 or ps3 tires are good in teh cold and warm weather. (and rain too)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Photoman,you got to get rid of the the stock tires, despite the amount of tread left. It's not like a car where you have four tires and wheels. It's rubber, they have a shelf life. Tires tend to begin losing it's grip after a couple of years, considering your's are around four years old, I wouldn't trust them except riding in a straight line. This goes buying a new set too, don't get fooled in buying out dated tires that's been in the store for a long time. Tires have a date stamp, so you know how fresh they are.

And make sure you have the correct PSI as others have said.

**When you do get your new tires, you need to take it easy for the first 80-100km. They will tend to be slick, especially going around corners so they need to be worn in.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
I do sometimes get a little bit of slip if i roll on a little hard round a corner but nothing I'd consider I'm not in control of.

I have pretty new PR2's and I put it down to speed / greasy road surface and too much gas

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Good tire advice above but let me add-"check tire pressure before every ride" it's a great habit to get into that may save your behind someday.
Finish this season carefully and replace next spring so you have fresh tires at the beginning of your riding season.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Vegas' "go easy on new tires", Don't be a twat like me and pull out of the dealer like a bee out of hell, and learn that all those "myths" about tyre scrubbing happen to be true :spank: Yeah, i saved it but not everyones so lucky :( anyways a good 50 miles on them and you should be good, but be careful each time you go over a little more than before you end up on the slick stuff again, gotta ease into them :thumbup:

Also i have noticed pretty dramatically that tires lose ALOT of grip if even in just a 20 degree difference (ie 80 to 60)...

Good luck :rockon:

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
I also would change them, motorcycle tires are not car tires. And motorcycle tires lose a lot of their grip when they are older than 3 years....

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You all just confirmed my situation; July 08 OEM tires (8,xxx miles), on a wet surface and they just don't grip. Last weekend stepped the back out several times for various reasons. The most entertaining was the wet tar chip surface plus getting on the juice steps it out pretty easy. . .

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What is cheaper:

-keeping old tires, crashing, hospital bills and buying replacement bike plus insurance rate increase
-buying a set of new tires for around $200

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What is cheaper:

-keeping old tires, crashing, hospital bills and buying replacement bike plus insurance rate increase
-buying a set of new tires for around $200

Oh - I agree. . .
Season is all but over for me - this winter it'll get funds stored away for fresh skins in the spring. :thumbup:

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Tire pressure is good.

After a lot of riding back and forth on that one corner with dh watching my back tire, we figured out what was causing the sliding-sideways feeling on that particular spot. I'm not actually sliding. There's a little dip in the road that wasn't there before.

*headsmack*

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
You see what'ed happend whaz.....that dat dares ur problem right dur....

No harm no fowl