Basic Riders Course might kill me today

ChaosCrayons

Reaction score
Visit site
The company doing it had a conflict with the church that they use their parking lot so we have to do six hours of the riding portion today at 95 degrees... I think I might die. Any tips on how to stay cool in all that gear while barely moving? They said we get breaks every hour or so so the only thing I can think of is drinking a LOT of cold water. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
The only requirement in my MSF course was over ankle foot cover, gloves, 3/4 or 4/4 face helmet, and a long sleeve shirt.

I wore a long sleeve white t-shirt under my mesh jacket. I wore the jacket until it got hot, the just took it off.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
At the msf course you only need a helmet gloves over the ankle boots and pants / long sleeve no jacket or heavy riding gear required that's up to you

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I know I'll be in hot weather I fill my hydration pack with as much ice as I can and then water. It keeps my back cool and I hydrate off the cold water!:D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your RC are trained to identify any sign of heat exahuation and administer basic first aid. But you have to know when to say when if it gets too much for you. Drink lots of water and gatorade. Even though you get a break after every two excercise, you will have an opportunity to rehydrate after every excercise or every 20-30 minutes. Since you will be at idle and slow speeds most of the time, a mesh jacket isn't going to help. Drench your shrirt with water or go by a cool vest from Cycle Gear.

You're more than welcome to bring a big ice chest full of water and gatorade and make a fortune selling it too. Seriously though, I've had students pitch in and they all contribute to and bring ice, gatorade, bottled water for their own consumption. Of course, the course just provided normal tap water iced down, but the cold water is nice to drench your cool vest.

You may want to wear a bandana on around your forehead so your sweat doesn't start dripping down you face distracting your ride.

The hottest temperture I've taught was like 112 degrees, but that was dry heat. Still a scorcher.

Wear White Clothing! Avoid wearing Black! And I hope you don't have a black helmet. Despite the weather conditions, stay focused, listen to your RC and you will still have fun and hopefully lead to successful completion.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your RC are trained to identify any sign of heat exahuation and administer basic first aid. But you have to know when to say when if it gets too much for you. Drink lots of water and gatorade. Even though you get a break after every two excercise, you will have an opportunity to rehydrate after every excercise or every 20-30 minutes. Since you will be at idle and slow speeds most of the time, a mesh jacket isn't going to help. Drench your shrirt with water or go by a cool vest from Cycle Gear.

You're more than welcome to bring a big ice chest full of water and gatorade and make a fortune selling it too. Seriously though, I've had students pitch in and they all contribute to and bring ice, gatorade, bottled water for their own consumption. Of course, the course just provided normal tap water iced down, but the cold water is nice to drench your cool vest.

You may want to wear a bandana on around your forehead so your sweat doesn't start dripping down you face distracting your ride.

The hottest temperture I've taught was like 112 degrees, but that was dry heat. Still a scorcher.

Wear White Clothing! Avoid wearing Black! And I hope you don't have a black helmet. Despite the weather conditions, stay focused, listen to your RC and you will still have fun and hopefully lead to successful completion.

Perfect advice! I just finished teaching.. 95 in the shade in NJ today.. well over 100 on the range in the sun. Happy to say everyone survived and did well. We made sure everyone drank plenty of cold fluids and as for myself, I had a bandanna around my neck which I kept wet with ice cold water at every break :thumbup:
.. and I always wear a hydro pack full of ice + water. Much better than only drinking during breaks.

sloring

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
you don't have to wear a jacket there, you're not going any faster than 20mph. I would stick with long sleeve shirt :rockon:

ChaosCrayons

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh....My....God... That was the most terrible thing I have ever been through. If that had been my first experience on a motorcycle I would have quit. but I survived the entire 6 hours on the range, only six more next Saturday :( this sucks so bad.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you survived. Now keep drinking lots of water, you are probably still dehydrated.
I like the idea of the ice in the pouch on the back.