Battery Keeps Dying

afilson

Bluetoo
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

Another newbe here. I have a 2006 FZ6 and have about 5k miles on it. I am havin gthe same trouble as outlined here. I changed the battery charged the new one and after a 30 min ride in the country my bike won't start again. I have charged it again but it does not seem to be holding. I haven't had any trouble over the last two years but now my original battery and my replacement both seem to be bot charging. Is there a way I can check the charging system?

H

HavBlue

Is there a way I can check the charging system?

Generally you would use a volt meter with a 20 volt dc scale. It is also generally accepted that access to the battery is necessary but this isn't really true. If you open the fuse panel the main fuses should read 12.8 Vdc static and when the bike is started this will go up to hit a maximum around 5,000 rpm. It's always best to take the reading at the battery if you can get to it but this isn't really the case with the battery being under the tank.

YoungAndDumb

Reaction score
Visit site
Not much more than a fast walking speed so maybe 2-3mph....

I will have to try it.

But for now, I called Yamaha to find out what they would reimburse under warranty and it turns out that their records show my VIN as having NO WARRANTY... It was supposedly sold "as is".

I said WTF??? The 1 year warranty was explained to me and I signed 1 year warranty papers (turning down the extended one). I have no f**king clue why a brand new bike with zero miles would ever fall under the "as is" category (I'm sure someone here does), but I digress. The Yamaha rep is going to work with the dealer next week to find out what happened and do what it takes to get this thing on warranty like I thought it was when I bought it.

....meanwhile, my bike sits. :( :Flip:

W

wrightme43

Most bikes need a functional battery to run right. I am maybe a little wierd but I would just remove the battery and take to a parts store. Have them load test it. If it fails just buy a battery. I mean the bike is sitting, Its a 6500$ lump with out all the parts it needs to work. WHEN Yamaha sends you your survey, Call them. Tell them what happened and how you had to fix it, and that it was discussed in a forum about yamaha FZ6. Its just not that much for a battery, and its one of those cost vs enjoyment issues. Just my opinion though.

YoungAndDumb

Reaction score
Visit site
Most bikes need a functional battery to run right. I am maybe a little wierd but I would just remove the battery and take to a parts store. Have them load test it. If it fails just buy a battery. I mean the bike is sitting, Its a 6500$ lump with out all the parts it needs to work. WHEN Yamaha sends you your survey, Call them. Tell them what happened and how you had to fix it, and that it was discussed in a forum about yamaha FZ6. Its just not that much for a battery, and its one of those cost vs enjoyment issues. Just my opinion though.

Point very well taken. I have a lot of things I need to do this weekend, so I will give them the week to resolve it. If not resolved by next weekend, I will do just that. Thanks for the advice.

H

HavBlue

I will have to try it.

But for now, I called Yamaha to find out what they would reimburse under warranty and it turns out that their records show my VIN as having NO WARRANTY... It was supposedly sold "as is".

First, if the bike was sold to you "AS IS" it must be stated in the language of the contract and when this is done it is generally in very plain view and generally signed or initialed by the purchaser (this would also be almost impossible to do with a new unregistered vehicle). When you went into F&I (finance and insurance) the guy across the desk that offered the extended warranty and such would have to have explained this to you at that time. If not, somebody better be doing some major back peddling here because that leaves the dealer as well as Yamaha open for law suit.

If this were my bike or cage I would be all over this like stink on do-do.....

YoungAndDumb

Reaction score
Visit site
First, if the bike was sold to you "AS IS" it must be stated in the language of the contract and when this is done it is generally in very plain view and generally signed or initialed by the purchaser (this would also be almost impossible to do with a new unregistered vehicle). When you went into F&I (finance and insurance) the guy across the desk that offered the extended warranty and such would have to have explained this to you at that time. If not, somebody better be doing some major back peddling here because that leaves the dealer as well as Yamaha open for law suit.

If this were my bike or cage I would be all over this like stink on do-do.....

Yeah, I got the impression that the Yamaha rep was going to start kicking ass and taking names (from the dealer) to get this taken care of. She picked up on the fact right away that I was not aware of this being an "as is" purchase.

H

HavBlue

Yeah, I got the impression that the Yamaha rep was going to start kicking ass and taking names (from the dealer) to get this taken care of. She picked up on the fact right away that I was not aware of this being an "as is" purchase.

No doubt. Don't get me wrong, it can be done. An example of this would be the buyer that came in and purchased the bike specifically for the purposes of racing. Still, the language in the contract would be very clear. I would love to be a fly on the wall when she gets through tearing some butt over this one...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will have to try it.

I said WTF??? The 1 year warranty was explained to me and I signed 1 year warranty papers (turning down the extended one). I have no f**king clue why a brand new bike with zero miles would ever fall under the "as is" category (I'm sure someone here does), but I digress. The Yamaha rep is going to work with the dealer next week to find out what happened and do what it takes to get this thing on warranty like I thought it was when I bought it.

....meanwhile, my bike sits. :( :Flip:
Mate, I suppose that the plus side to this is that you have identified the warrety issue. It's got to easier to rectify now at this early stage than later on. I also had a similar problem with y bike.THe warrenty runs out this June. The last dealer I tok it to "Probike" were excellent. They picked up on the fact that the warrenty had not been transfered over. They still did the work in good faith. IMO that is how a bussiness should be run.

Neil

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fair point Steve,
If it were my bike I would get a new battery to as long as it failed the test. It may be a deeper problem though as very few of us have reported battery problems.

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
One possible scenario is that the warranty has to be 'activated' by the selling dealer - it is supposed to last one full year from date of sale. Perhaps the selling dealer is just a little behind in their paperwork processing - or - Yamaha is taking their time getting it into the system

Just a thought...

H

HavBlue

One possible scenario is that the warranty has to be 'activated' by the selling dealer - it is supposed to last one full year from date of sale. Perhaps the selling dealer is just a little behind in their paperwork processing - or - Yamaha is taking their time getting it into the system

Just a thought...

Excellent thought and in order for the process to start the vehicle would have had to be reported as sold to Yamaha. Additionally, it would have had to have been reported sold to the local motor vehicle authority as well. Either way this is not good and more than likely why the Yamaha rep is coming in to do some butt kickin. No doubt hat was the last type of call or complaint she wanted to hear.

kvanderploeg

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I'm a noob. I bought a new 2007 FZ6 two weekends ago. I rode it home that Saturday night from the dealer and everything was OK. The next day I took it out to do some very mild riding... learning the friction zone, smooth shifting, U-turns, etc... All low speed and low RPM stuff. I stalled it a few times that day and probably the 4th time, the engine would not turn over. I popped started it and took it home and then it still wouldn't start.

So I took the battery out and had a local dealer charget it up with a 2 amp trickle charge over night. I put it back in the next day and it started up fine. Since then I have ridden it 3 times (started right up each time, and I have not stalled it since) all medium riding stuff (a lot of ~4k RPM kinda riding), and I'll be damned!!! That battery is dead again.

This has been all day-time riding (maybe 3 hours total worth since the dealer charged the battery) and I have been riding with my high beams on.

Any ideas what's going on? Is the battery "bad"? Is there a problem with the bike? Will the high beams drain the battery like that??

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Just had a very similar set of conditions happen to my wife's '07 last night. I have her hop on the back and I drive her over to a parking lot so she can practice. As the bike still has less than 200 miles on it, it's pretty much virginal. One mod I have made, however is the addition of bikerdude's lighting harness to illuminate the low beam on the right side all the time.

More similar conditions. She was practicing slow speed manuvers, stop and go, etc. She killed the bike one time, and went to restart. Dead. The fan was still blowing on the radiator and all the instrumentation lighting was working, but it would not turn over. Needless to say, my wife got an instant lesson in bump starting, and we went home.

Upon arrival at home (3 minute trip), I turned off the bike and of course, it wouldn't start. I pulled the battery, and put it on my smart charger on a 2A charge. Battery percentage read as 65%. I left it to charge and it was fully charged in a couple of hours. I also disconnected bikerdude's portion of the harness from the right lamp and taped it off. Bike started today just fine, and she practiced around the neighborhood.

I still think it's a bad battery. Seems like it has enough juice to run the fan/etc. but the current draw of the starter brings it to an undervolt state.

Kent

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Seeing as you both have been pulling your batteries out of the bike, charging, and then re-installing, are the terminal bolts on the battery posts as tight as you can get them when you re-attach the cables? The reason why is if the contact between the cables and the post are not 100% in good contact the starter does not crank. For a poor connection, low current output to run instruments and headlights would be fine but during engine start there is a high demand for current. If the contact between cables and post is not tight, the battery cannot delivery and charging the battery would also be affected through the bike's charging system. The battery terminal bolts pass through the posts of the battery to a floating nut underneath which can slip out and not be there at all or if the cable lugs are not seated flatly over the battery terminals there is not enough length of bolt to touch the nut and suck it up. Just thought I'd mention this as maybe some are not aware of the floating nut thing.

YoungAndDumb

Reaction score
Visit site
Seeing as you both have been pulling your batteries out of the bike, charging, and then re-installing, are the terminal bolts on the battery posts as tight as you can get them when you re-attach the cables? The reason why is if the contact between the cables and the post are not 100% in good contact the starter does not crank. For a poor connection, low current output to run instruments and headlights would be fine but during engine start there is a high demand for current. If the contact between cables and post is not tight, the battery cannot delivery and charging the battery would also be affected through the bike's charging system. The battery terminal bolts pass through the posts of the battery to a floating nut underneath which can slip out and not be there at all or if the cable lugs are not seated flatly over the battery terminals there is not enough length of bolt to touch the nut and suck it up. Just thought I'd mention this as maybe some are not aware of the floating nut thing.

Pretty sure mine is just as good as it came. I'm aware of the floating nuts and mine are in place. Also keep in mind that my battery died the day after I bought it new, so that was before I ever pulled the battery.

I can't speak for Kent, but I don't think this is the source of my dead battery. Thanks for the idea though.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Just a thought...

Excellent thought and in order for the process to start the vehicle would have had to be reported as sold to Yamaha

I should have mentioned that the dealer also said that the selling dealership has to activate the warrenty.

Good call

Nelly

YoungAndDumb

Reaction score
Visit site
I should have mentioned that the dealer also said that the selling dealership has to activate the warrenty.

Good call

Nelly

In my case, the Yamaha rep was able to look up my VIN in her records and see the date it was purchased, and it was registed as an "as is" sale, with no 1 year warranty.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In my case, the Yamaha rep was able to look up my VIN in her records and see the date it was purchased, and it was registed as an "as is" sale, with no 1 year warranty.
Hang on a minute, I thought that the bikes came with a 1 year warrenty as standard?
How the fek can it be different for UK to US bikes?