Battery or what??

Redwolf35

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. Had a breakdown today but luckily a friend of mine happened to be at the same place as I was so I got to work on time. That's the good news....bad news is I'm sitting at work and my bike is sitting in the parking lot at Lowes.

2007 FZ-6. Did some running around today before coming into work and no problems at all firing right up today or since I've had it, roughly 1 1/2 years. Walked in Lowes and was in there maybe 10-15 minutes, keys in my pocket. Came back out and turned ignition on. Ran through the self check fine and went to start it and it was an extremely weak turn over for about a second before it just started making a clicking noise.....sounded like it was coming from directly under the key at the ignition switch.
Could this be the battery, ignition switch, or what? Can it be push/roll started after I get off work so I can get it back to the house?

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. Had a breakdown today but luckily a friend of mine happened to be at the same place as I was so I got to work on time. That's the good news....bad news is I'm sitting at work and my bike is sitting in the parking lot at Lowes.

2007 FZ-6. Did some running around today before coming into work and no problems at all firing right up today or since I've had it, roughly 1 1/2 years. Walked in Lowes and was in there maybe 10-15 minutes, keys in my pocket. Came back out and turned ignition on. Ran through the self check fine and went to start it and it was an extremely weak turn over for about a second before it just started making a clicking noise.....sounded like it was coming from directly under the key at the ignition switch.
Could this be the battery, ignition switch, or what? Can it be push/roll started after I get off work so I can get it back to the house?
If it didn't die running than I'd try and push start it since it should be fine if the battery is just discharged. When you get home sit the battery on the charger, and see if it will charge for a while. (perhaps the battery is still usable)

Is this the first time it's given any trouble starting? (like maybe it's started before but the starter was kicking slower than normal)

I'm no wiring/electrical expert but maybe try and see if something isn't drawing *excessive* current when the ignition is off. (multimeter while consulting a wiring diagram?)

Redwolf35

Reaction score
Visit site
This is the first time it's given any problems starting. Don't have any mods on it right now other than Givi bags so nothing else to draw too much current other than the stock electrical systems.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the first time it's given any problems starting. Don't have any mods on it right now other than Givi bags so nothing else to draw too much current other than the stock electrical systems.
Maybe it's grounding out somewhere, I remember my car's battery kept dying and it was due to a poorly grounded wire.

Maybe look for any obvious uninsulated wires

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check the obvious like battery connections. Have the battery charged and load tested. Anything else is just guessing what's wrong. You can jump start your bike from a car battery but make sure the car engine is not running! :)

Have you been doing a lot of stop n go in traffic? The FZ6 will not charge much at low rpm.

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
When you get it running again, check your idle speed. Mine was too low, so my battery slowly died whenever I rode at low speeds. Not low enough to stall the bike, just low enough that it wouldn't restart.

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check the infamous FZ6 starter relay. Several of my friends have similar problem, and there is some other relay compatible to the genuine part which can be used w/o problem.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While the tank is up, pull the battery, fully charge it, then get it LOAD TESTED at any automotive / bike shop (usually free). That will rule in or out the status of the battery...

Your symtoms sound like the battery is just worn out...

Please post your results...:thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Later on in the same day, went to the store to pick up dinner in my Four Runner .

Slightly slower spinning over (know what that means). Pick up dinner, even slower cranking but starts, gets me home...

Scruff down dinner, the battery is on a charger and starts ok. A trip to AutoZone for a load test. Load test shows the battery failed (duh).

Got some credit for the old one (almost 4 years old) and about $75.00 later, truck runs as it should...

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Later on in the same day, went to the store to pick up dinner in my Four Runner .

Slightly slower spinning over (know what that means). Pick up dinner, even slower cranking but starts, gets me home...

Scruff down dinner, the battery is on a charger and starts ok. A trip to AutoZone for a load test. Load test shows the battery failed (duh).

Got some credit for the old one (almost 4 years old) and about $75.00 later, truck runs as it should...
Is that truck stick?? I'm happy that my car's stick should I ever have to push start it. This is what we did when my battery killed itself with a bad ground...I think the battery is really old and I forget if it passed the load test but my car must not need alot to start because I just charged it back up and it works great. I have the invincible battery lol

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that truck stick?? I'm happy that my car's stick should I ever have to push start it. This is what we did when my battery killed itself with a bad ground...I think the battery is really old and I forget if it passed the load test but my car must not need alot to start because I just charged it back up and it works great. I have the invincible battery lol

No, its an automatic... I'm not pushing starting a truck anyway...

That's why I have jumper cables in the storage/tool area and a cell phone!!:thumbup:

Got jumper cables on the boat too!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, its an automatic... I'm not pushing starting a truck anyway...

That's why I have jumper cables in the storage/tool area and a cell phone!!:thumbup:

Got jumper cables on the boat too!

Sometimes you may luck out and have a downward sloping parking lot to use to your advantage but jumpers make much more sense in your case lol