bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 2

ExPatPom

Reaction score
Visit site
Post Script -

After my dismal failure I thought I'd have one last look at it:

I've mentioned before that:

". . . it might be possible to incorporate the bike's existing socket into the box with the appropriate additional wire and switch . . ."

It is - it took a bit of fiddling with a nibbler etc, and of course I had to bite the bullet and re-wire the bike's bulb socket (and make my own 8mm 'male' spade!), but it wasn't so hard. Looking at the beam pattern on the garage wall it is an AWESOME improvement, and a test ride confirms there's no fouling of the forks (switch is off-set to right - see pic).

Would I do it again? Probably yes. It's neat, it's reversible, and it works.

Cheers.

4sure

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,
i'm a new rider who just got a 2005 FZ6. I was trying to do BD43's mod light tonight and came to a problem when it was time to remove the airbox...what is holding the airbox down? i saw 4 allen screws underneath it, are they holding it down? if so, then it seems that it would be pretty difficult to remove and reinstall the airbox, in fear of losing the screws in the chassis if they fall off, they're not very accessible...or am i looking at the wrong screws?? please help!
thanks.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Hey all,
i'm a new rider who just got a 2005 FZ6. I was trying to do BD43's mod light tonight and came to a problem when it was time to remove the airbox...what is holding the airbox down? i saw 4 allen screws underneath it, are they holding it down? if so, then it seems that it would be pretty difficult to remove and reinstall the airbox, in fear of losing the screws in the chassis if they fall off, they're not very accessible...or am i looking at the wrong screws?? please help!
thanks.

Airbox is easy to remove, no screws to undo.

""The airbox isn't hard to remove, just have to know what needs to be detached before hauling it out. To my recollection, open and slide down the hose clamps on the 3 small hoses at the rear and one off to the right side of the box, disconnect the temp sensor connector, then holding the box on either side, wiggle and lift the box right out."" It will lift off the throttle bodies dont worry

More details with pictures here - BD43 Web Site

CarpeNoctumDC

Reaction score
Visit site
Daryl

Thanks for the harness! It actually came a week+ ago.. (Sorry I didn’t post sooner..) Just got a chance to install it… Instructions and harness where perfect…

Took about 2 hours to install – but that includes time solder a disconnect and rerun my Zumo harness….

Thanks again!

-=- George

4sure

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks all for the feedback, i was able to remove it no problem. I think i will also add a connector in the middle in case i want to remove the fairing in the future, as BD43 suggested. thanks again

4sure

Reaction score
Visit site
guys, help!!!
just did the mod tonight, and my bike won't start anymore! Here's how i got to that predicament:
1. i took everything out per your suggestions, airbox, moved battery box
2. got to the connectors behind the battery box
3. inserted my homemade pin as described in the mod procedures
4. took the wire to the right bulb

Before closing everything up, i wanted to test it out so i reconnected all electrical connections back, including the battery, and still kept the tank open. While my bike is on its centerstand, on neutral, i turn the ignition on but don't start the engine yet, and...NO LIGHTS at all!! not even the left side was on. There’s not even a flicker of light on either side. However all the other lights (turn signal, brakes) are still working.

I checked several times that i had hooked up everything correctly, did i short our something in the connector when i inserted the pin?
Not only that, but i can't start my bike either now! when the ignition is on, the initial selftest on the gauge shows as normal, but when i try to start it, it sounds like it's out of gas, but the tank is full!
what did i do????? everything is back in place, i don't see any connectors out of place or any missing parts. please help!

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
guys, help!!!
just did the mod tonight, and my bike won't start anymore! Here's how i got to that predicament:

Before closing everything up, i wanted to test it out so i reconnected all electrical connections back, including the battery, and still kept the tank open. While my bike is on its centerstand, on neutral, i turn the ignition on but don't start the engine yet, and...NO LIGHTS at all!! not even the left side was on. There’s not even a flicker of light on either side. However all the other lights (turn signal, brakes) are still working.

I checked several times that i had hooked up everything correctly, did i short our something in the connector when i inserted the pin?
Not only that, but i can't start my bike either now! when the ignition is on, the initial selftest on the gauge shows as normal, but when i try to start it, it sounds like it's out of gas, but the tank is full!
what did i do????? everything is back in place, i don't see any connectors out of place or any missing parts. please help!

You most likely kinked the fuel line or pinched it on something when you puct the tank back down?

OldeDude

What, No Knobbies?
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my new 2009 FZ6 a few weeks ago and decided this was the one must do mod. I received the wire harness last week from DB43 and got it installed last night. What a difference riding to work this morning (dark country roads at 5:30 AM)! Not only does it light up the road much better than before, it also gives me a stronger sense of security knowing that I am more visible. I've heard some of the so called logic on why Yamaha doesn't have both low beams working from the start, but I don't buy any of it. This mod just makes too much sense.

Installation was really quick and easy, about an hour, the directions were clear and concise, and I didn't run into any unexpected problems. The connectors snap right into place, and the length is more than adequate. Top quality all the way.

Thanks Daryl!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
guys, help!!!

You need to START THE BIKE to have the headlight(s) come on. That's the way its designed. Push the start button, you'll get lights.........

Check the two wire connectors to the gas tank, one powers up the fuel pump, the other the gas gauge.. You should be able to hear the fuel pump cycle on for a second or two when the key is initially turned on.

Last edited:

keef

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks bd43!
I finally had the opportunity to complete this mod. I received the cable you fabricated quickly after contacting you several weeks ago. The install only took me maybe about 20 minutes, if that.

:thumbup: Oh the cable is top notch by the way! :thumbup:

Thanks again!

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome mod. Did this today, and didn't take long at all... maybe an hour total. Outstanding product, and install instructions were good to go. Very happy with the outcome. Cheers! :thumbup:

412fz6

Decepticon
Reaction score
Visit site
This step by step is Great, Thanks again. I just completed this tonight on my 09 and I love that these bikes haven't really changed in 4 years or so. This was my first non cosmetic Mod, and it felt great to get intimate with the bike, see what makes her tick. I'm gonna have a great Winter of Mods this year, with the help of all of you guys on this site. But for now it's time to ride again, now with better visibility and kung-fu grip!

:rockon:

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
The headlights on the FZ6 are two types, correct? A H4 hi/lo and an H7? Will this mod work fine with HID's?

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
The temperatures in Texas finally dropped low enough (mid 80s) to allow me to spend some time in the garage performing this mod. Instructions were flawless and my FZ6 now has 2 eyes !! Thanks forthe great kit.:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
pardon my most likely dumb question, but...

Does this Mod basically make it so there is always a Hi-Beam light on or does this actually create two Low-Beam lights?

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
pardon my most likely dumb question, but...

Does this Mod basically make it so there is always a Hi-Beam light on or does this actually create two Low-Beam lights?

I did a blurb about it here...

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/1647-left-handlebar-switch.html

Basically, by flipping the light switch on the left side of your handlebar, on the H4 bulb only, it's either high or low beam, not both. This mod does not affect the single low beam on the opposite side.

Hope that helps.

Cheers! ;)

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
After receiving the cable on Wednesday (very professional) I took some time today to do this mod. The mod itself is pretty simple (connecting the cable) but to get where you'll be connecting the cable is quite a pain, but the result is worth it, I actually took the bike on a night ride and it makes a big difference to have both low bean bulbs on.

Thanks a lot

a6890be2-0956-a7f8.jpg

a6890be2-0987-5123.jpg

a6890be2-09b8-66c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk