Best fix for abrupt throttle

ZünRob

Reaction score
Visit site
There is info in a lot of posts on this forum about the abrupt throttle, and several fixes for it. I however couldn't find a thread which couples all the information together and tells me what the best/most easy fix is for the abrupt throttle.

Possible solutions I found:
- replacing your catalytic converter with a straight pipe, advancing ignition and adding some fuel through O2 settings (http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...le-chop-snatch-rewet-response-time-cheap.html)
- throttle body sync
However, nowhere can I find the exact cause of the problem. By determining this, we could find the best fix I'd say.

In my case: I have a FZ6 S2 2008 which I bought new. Since it came out of the box it has this abrupt throttle: after closing the throttle and opening it again there is this sudden surge, which is very annoying. If I'm not mistaken this seems to be a common "problem" for the FZ6 S2.

So, what is causing this abrupt throttle, and what would be the best fix?
My bike is still stock, and I'm thinking about buying a PC5 as one and only fix for this problem. Can anybody confirm that a PC5 as only mod would fix this problem on a stock bike?

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Best fix that I found for my last bike was.. buying a new chain. :rolleyes:

This one creeps up on you and you'd never think it can cause the bike to be
acting like this (surging too) but it makes sense when you think about it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its fuel vs emissions thing answered in your other post. Please use the SEARCH function as most of this has been answered many times. ;)

Reference is post 175: From: Throttle Position Sensor Issues (Are you Experiencing Poor Idle/Mileage, or Stalls?)
This characteristic is NORMAL and its byproduct of the Fuel Map which is designed to reduce fuel consumption and emissions.

When opening the throttle the ECM ADDS Fuel. When you close the throttle at higher RPM, there is little need for fuel being thrown into the engine so the ECM essentially turns off the injectors (fueling to the engine). The engine being the big pump that it is, has inhaled all the fuel that was in the intake runner and there is no more to make power but its still spinning at lets say 5000 RPM. When You open the throttle the intake runners have AIR but little fuel in a mixed state.
- When the Air Fuel Mixture enters the combustion chamber you feel that "POWER ON" state as Wetting of the intake runners occurred and combustion is making power again - hence, the shock to the drivetrain. In short, the OEM fuel map makes us feel that lag or delay where it goes from no real power being applied (but the throttle is open) to power on.

Basic options are to ADD FUEL OR change your style and open the throttle more! i.e. shift down and let it rev to reduce the rewet effect.

This is Work In Progress but its fuel a map for max power.. Notice two areas:
- 0% throttle 1500 - 6000 RPM is adding fuel to the base map
- 5% throttle 2000 - 9000 RPM ADDING MORE fuel... this is work in progress but it takes care of the off idle stumble. In this case there is a data logger recording the AFR. With this information the MAP has a basic target AFR of 13.0:1 . It's a pleasant fun map which runs the tank dry fairly quick! ;) Pick up around post 60 for details (>click image - follow link: